Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-20-2018, 06:00 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
I have 150 frames of this scene - K1 with the DFA 15-30/f2.8 all taken at f2.8, taken at ISO 800, 1600 and 3200, mainly taken at 30mm. All of the sky segments were taken with the astrotracer enabled at 50 second exposures. I'm in the process of stitching these as a 2 row, 7 frame stitch, with 4 of the frames overlaid on the top row for better resolution. I was also shooting the MW as it was rising over the mountain. So, about 18 frames per final stitched, masked and composited together result into a single final image. Trying to decide on some new post processing utilities and work flow - it's going slow....

Right at the last minute before packing up and heading home at midnight, I took these three panels for a quick stitch as a test - essentially a throwaway (I wish all my throwaways were this good). These three are at 15mm, vertical frames stitched together - all tracked (sky and ground) at 50 seconds. Note, I should have taken a dark frame - but alas, I didn't.

So, tell me what you want most - 15mm or 30mm (the 30mm images are 3/4 sky). You say any ISO, but what do you prefer (800 I found to be the best). Do you want a slice of the core or some other part of the sky? PM me an email address....

Just stunning.

07-25-2018, 05:47 AM   #17
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
From what I have read, the trailing in the corners is due to the wide field of view at UWA - 15mm, in that the star's apparent rate of motion is greater at the lens' edge and corners than it is at the center.
That's an interesting point. Most WA lenses (neglecting the 10-17 fisheye) try to avoid the fisheye look and try to be rectilinear. That means they are going to stretch the corners a fair bit, and I never considered that this would cause star trails to appear first in the corners, long before the center. Thanks for posting this information; you learn something new every day :-).
08-25-2018, 10:18 AM   #18
pxt

I hope you will publish more your photos. They are amazing. For me astrotracer is future when I get tripod.