Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
07-17-2018, 01:56 AM - 1 Like   #1

Photos: Albums
KP vs K3 ii for wildlife photography

I am trying to make up my mind as to which is better for wildlife photography. The Newer KP or the older K3 ii. They both have different features that may be advantageous. The burst rate on the K3 or the better ISO on the KP. Does anyone have both bodies that can recommend from experience? I mostly use my KS-2 with a DA 150-450 at the moment. Max shutter rate is 5 fps.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo 

Last edited by Paul Charlier; 07-18-2018 at 05:04 AM.
07-17-2018, 02:27 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
While KP implemented some news and improvements, K-3 II is still the APS-C flagship.

(Yes, I'm also waiting for the K-3 II successor which should appear in 2019...)
07-17-2018, 02:35 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The burst rate on the KP is pretty decent, but the buffer is much smaller if you are the spray & pray type.

I you need to push the ISO a little to optimise shutter speed and depth of field, the KP would be my choice.

There's a reason I sold my K-3 and kept the KP as my only crop body.
07-17-2018, 02:57 AM   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I cannot give you a direct comparison

obviously I like the K 3 and K 3 II

but the forum may be able to do that

perhaps you have already found this info but if not:

Pentax K-3 II Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Pentax KP Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Pentax K-3 II vs. Pentax KP - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

what specific features are you looking for?

K 3 II

Continuous Shooting
Hi: 8.3 fps up to approx. 60 frames (JPG), up to approx. 23 frames (RAW), M: 4.5 fps up to approx 100 frames (JPG), 32 frames (RAW), Lo: 3 fps up to approx. 200 frames (JPG), up to appox. 52 frames (RAW)

KP

Hi: 7 fps up to approx. 28 frames (JPG), up to approx. 8 frames (RAW), M: 3 fps up to approx 70 frames (JPG), 15 frames (RAW), Lo: 0.8 fps up to approx. 100 frames (JPG), up to appox. 100 frames (RAW)

Shutter Life

perhaps since the K 3 II is now " discontinued " you can find one NIB or a good " experienced " one and get it cheaper

consider using any " savings " for a new lens or the HD Pentax-DA 1.4x AW AF Rear Converter if you don't have one

07-17-2018, 05:04 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I get better AFC from my K1 than my K3ii (which BTW, is up for sale if you are looking for one).

I'm willing to sacrifice burst rate for better AF. I haven't shot with the KP but have been told it has snappier AF than the K3ii.

BTW: good to see you are a fellow darter lover.
07-17-2018, 05:55 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm not so sure about "better resolution" (I thought resolution had to do with MP, i.e.: 16MP vs. 24 MP, etc.) but I own a K3 and like it for the wildlife shooting I do (90% of my shots are wildlife of some type).

The only drawback is its performance at higher ISO settings... noisier while keeping good details though. My old K5 sure beats it in that department but has a lesser performing AF.

I have tested the K3 with the 150-450 … great combo but, then again, if you are going to shoot in less than ideal light conditions, the KP might be a better choice. (according to reviews).

I think that Aslyfox posted some good comparisons up there in post no. 4 above.
07-17-2018, 05:58 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
K-3 II because it is faster and it has a better grip and better battery life and more buffer. Ricoh should have replaced it already, because the K-1 is limited in shooting speed by it's sensor.

07-17-2018, 06:15 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I'd like a K-P and i don't care much about many of the things others mention, like the battery, (so change batteries, big deal) the memory card slots (the second card slot is rarely used on my two cameras that have it.It's actually quite a pain, having two slots to deal with instead of one.)

The low light performance may be a plus.

For me it all comes down to 8 FPS and a 23 shot raw buffer. The buffer being the thing I won't give up. What good is 7 FPS if it only goes for a second? Especially for my birds photography, I often fill the K-3 buffer. I'm looking for 10 FPS and a 75 shot buffer in the coming APS-c flagship. I'm looking for ore 300% more buffer, not 66% less.

Last edited by normhead; 07-17-2018 at 12:25 PM.
07-17-2018, 07:47 AM   #9

To me, it comes down to the speed of the K3II vs. the higher ISO performance of the KP.

I was in a similar predicament, deciding between the K3II and the KP, and opted for the K3II for its performance and ergos/grip. I definitely appreciate the performance of the K3II for bird photography.

Battery life didn't play a role in my decision as I was transitioning from Fuji, where any decision (in Pentax's lineup) resulted in an improvement. I do feel that battery life is important as it is one less variable to be concerned about when shooting out in the field. When I shot with Fuji (or less efficient cameras), I would consider battery swaps in more public/trafficked areas before going into locations where there were confirmed spottings or wildlife was more active.
07-17-2018, 08:32 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I have the K-3II and have used it with my Sigma 150-500 for wildlife/birding effectively. I would recommend it, being the current flagship aps-c model. The body styling, battery life, AF, image quality, and overall performance are excellent. Like others, I am also looking forward to the next aps-c flagship model, but for now the K-3II is a worthy camera. One other thing I would like to point out is that the K-3II has a top of the body lcd for viewing settings (ISO, Aperture, Shutter Speed, EV). I find it very useful.

Good luck with your decision.
07-17-2018, 09:23 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul Charlier Quote
[snipped for brevity]... The burst rate on the K3 or the better resolution on the KP ... I mostly use my KS-2 with a DA 150-450 at the moment. Max shutter rate is 5 fps.
Why do you think the KP has better resolution than K3? Both cameras are 24 megapixels, same sensor size, no anti-alias blur filter. In decent light there shouldn't be any noticeable resolution difference. In dim light when you have to push ISO, though, the KP does better than the K3 because the noise eats less detail.

How often do you feel limited by the KS2 buffer when using 5 fps bursts? Does the camera slow you down because the buffer fills up? If it's rarely an issue, you should be okay with the KP buffer. If it's often an issue, the K3 has a much larger buffer.

If you currently use JPG, and are considering raw photo format for even better quality with your next camera, that's another factor pushing for the K3 because raw consumes more burst buffer storage.
07-17-2018, 09:25 AM   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Billk Quote
I get better AFC from my K1 than my K3ii (which BTW, is up for sale if you are looking for one).

I'm willing to sacrifice burst rate for better AF. I haven't shot with the KP but have been told it has snappier AF than the K3ii.

BTW: good to see you are a fellow darter lover.
Both the K-3 II and KP have the same AF as far as I'm aware. They updated both with better tracking performance compared to the K-3.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-17-2018, 12:12 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Low light , high ISO it should be KP. Either are great cameras, image-wise.
07-17-2018, 07:19 PM   #14

I'd throw in and say the K3II w/battery grip. I would never go out shooting wildlife without a battery grip.
I also find working with a BIG lens I like a larger camera body not smaller and the K3II w/grip fills that bill.
Good luck 📷
Photobill
07-18-2018, 12:51 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Both the K-3 II and KP have the same AF as far as I'm aware. They updated both with better tracking performance compared to the K-3.
Well, K-1 and K-1II do have the same AF as well and there is a significant difference in their AF performance. I would expect the same difference between K-3II and KP due to usage of acceleration unit.