Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-15-2008, 06:09 PM   #1
Inactive Account

So... Here we go... Serious Pentaxians answer me this

I have decided to come back to Pentax after over a year... But in a small way at first. After looking at all the specs the K200D looks like it has the 10.1mp sensor from the K10D, Is this correct? If not, is it better, worse or somewhere close? I have seen some spectacular images from this camera, what's the consensus from serious shooters? (This camera will be used professionally and probably shoot 1-2000 images a week). I need to know more than just generalities.

Obviously it's not the K20D but I am going to wait on the future before jumping into a higher end body. Does the 200 make a reasonable second body, it will be coupled with the DA*16-50 2.8 and later the DA*50-135. All the flash will be done manually with aftermarket triggers and all shots will be done in raw mostly in aperture priority or manual. So fps, jpegs, PTTL flash, and off camera flash matter not.

It will be mainly a studio camera and act as a backup or a second shooter at weddings and the like. Opinions, concerns, warnings? Would I be better off getting a used K10D?

All comments taken into consideration and greatly appreciated.

Scot

09-15-2008, 06:18 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Same sensor as K10D. I have the K200D and even I sometimes wish I had the extra controls for the usual settings (AF mode, metering mode, extra dial on front for aperture/shutter/iso etc.) and I'm just shooting for fun. I would imagine a pro would miss these even more. Maybe a K10D is a better match for you? Quite happy with the pictures I get with the camera though.
09-15-2008, 06:21 PM   #3
Site Supporter

The sensor should be the same, but the buffer is a little smaller so you can't shoot as quickly.

The DA*16-50 has known quality control issues. If you are aware of the issues and know how to spot and exchange, then you can work to find a good copy and generally users are very happy.

The DA*50-135 is an amazing lens. I own one. I'm not a "serious shooter". But I can tell the difference between this and any other lens I've ever used. Very few people will complain about this one.

I'd prefer a used K10D, myself, since the controls are exposed instead of menu-accessible.

But, at this point I'd wait until Photokina, and then you'll either see used K10Ds flooding the market, new K20Ds selling for peanuts, or maybe no change in the market at all.
09-15-2008, 06:21 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Go with the "old" K10D instead of the "new" 200. Batteries being the main reason. I like the battery pack rather than the AA's.

09-15-2008, 07:46 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aegon Quote
The DA*16-50 has known quality control issues. If you are aware of the issues and know how to spot and exchange, then you can work to find a good copy and generally users are very happy.
This I don't know... What is the issue?

Scot
09-15-2008, 07:56 PM   #6
Veteran Member

1-2000 images per week on professional use, personally the k20d can be had under $1000, I'd spend the extra few hundred and buy the k20d.
09-15-2008, 08:18 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by scotfree_photo Quote
This I don't know... What is the issue?

Scot

Scot

there are a number of threads on this and also a thread on known serial numbers for poor copies.

A search through the lens section will serve you better than a short brief explanation that I could only give here

Neil

09-16-2008, 04:01 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

C'mon...

...2000 images a week?

Given that most of the images will be spectacular (almost) and you give each image an average of 5 minutes of your time (id scene, compose, sort, pp and tweak, etc.) that's 10,000 minutes a week, or 166 hours, or 6.9 days of uninterrupted production.

May I ask when do you plan to eat and sleep?

Last edited by Michaelina2; 09-16-2008 at 05:35 AM. Reason: typo
09-16-2008, 07:00 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Not so hard to imagine. During the time between May and Sept, i pump out 1200-1500 a week.

I sleep Mondays.

Dave
09-16-2008, 07:11 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I went with the K200D as my travel system and those lenses you mentioned will be in my bag by year end but the kit lens 18-55II and 50-500 have been quite good thus far and most likely i'll end up getting another K200D as backup.

This is strictly my travel gear, i'm no pro but chose based on AA power, i do primarily street and architectural images, people are always in them. Buffer and fps wasn't a concern and i'm quite happy so far with the controls both auto/presets and full manual. I'm still testing the limits of the camera for what i shoot and nothing negative so far except although it's weather sealed the manual recommends no climate lower than "0"c, this might be why going over the Golden Gate Bridge in an open top bus the body froze and had to be warmed in jacket before shooting again, missing a lot of interesting shots crossing.

Winter is coming here in Toronto, so i'll be out and testing, i'm 80% sure it wasn't the body but just the batteries that froze, i have since gotten a vary of different batteries to test for the cold climates.

This is my first digital Pentax, the last Pentaxs i used was a 645, 67 and MEsuper in different time frames though.

10D or 200D either would be good as a studio/backup camera.

Last edited by Clicker; 09-16-2008 at 07:27 AM.
09-16-2008, 07:20 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Nulla,

You get your reasonning wrong, you don't take 5min between every shot, but 2-3 second on average.

Personnally, I shoot often in M mode, and when I have time, I change a little some setting to get an optimized result. But I also shoot on reporter style, trying to get the right moment. I often fail, sometimes I succeed. When I sort out my picture about 10% are of some interest, and much fewer are "good".

The good point is that taking 1000 picture a day or 10 cost you the same.

Guillaume
09-16-2008, 07:25 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
...2000 images a week?

Given that most of the images will be spectacular (almost) and you give each image an average of 5 minutes of your time (id scene, compose, sort, pp and tweak, etc.) that's 10,000 minutes a week, or 166 hours, or 6.9 days of uninterrupted production.

May I ask when do you plan to eat and sleep?
Sunday was a little slow and I shot 800, unfortunately they are not all keepers. A percentage will be tossed, probably 25 to 30% due to missed focus, flash misfires, awkward poses, lens flare, eyes closed etc.... A large percentage can be bulk processed and then the remaining captures are special enough for serious processing. I average 1 1/2 days to complete the sorting and bulk processing and spend a full day on the special ones. I have 2 more shoots scheduled this week with probably 300 shots each for model portfolios where the percentage of keepers goes way down.

Lightroom is an amazing tool. I have heard instances of one photog who did a wedding and on the 20 min drive to the reception bulk processed 1500 images on his laptop and output to a slide show for the guests. My mentor does 2 weddings a weekend averaging 1000 each and does his processing in Elements 5 and finishes all by Tuesday and coasts the rest of the week.

Taking the pictures is what I spent all my time learning how to do, then when I do it, the process is probably third on the list after marketing and processing skill. Your eye becomes quick at recognizing what is a quality shot and what is not.

Scot
09-16-2008, 08:37 AM   #13
Veteran Member

On your original question, I would think that if you are shooting manual a lot, you would prefer the K10d. When I bought my K10d the K100d was the other option, and I chose the K10d because I could easily adjust the shutter speed and aperture right on the body (no need for menus). I would assume that the K200 would be similar to the k100 in that regard, and not ideal if you are often tweaking those settings.
09-16-2008, 11:00 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Count another vote for a K10D.... more versatile than the K200D and uses the same battery grip as the K20D for when you move up...
09-16-2008, 11:25 AM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by scotfree_photo Quote
...Would I be better off getting a used K10D?

All comments taken into consideration and greatly appreciated.

Scot
You can probably find a new K10D without too much trouble.

Steve