Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
07-20-2018, 08:54 AM   #1

I have a K-x ( I love it) and I have an offer to get a K2000

Hey all,

I have and adore my K-X as my first real DSLR and I am not inquiring a K-2000 as a second camera at a great price. I need to know will it be worth it, is it SCHC compatible and what issues does it have. Now I am not using it as my main but I am going to use it with some of the odd lenses I have and try to use but never have the chance to. I am also going to use it in wet weather and daily travel since I am not going to pay much for it. I want it as a second camera. I love my K-x very much and I cherish it but like i said it is cheap and it uses my lenses ( I have been given many)

Give me as many feed back as you can....

Thx gang..

07-20-2018, 09:53 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I have a Kx and used to have a K2000. They're both nice cameras and almost identical except I don't believe the K2000 has video capability. I may be wrong about that; it's been a few years since I sold it. I would be wary of using either camera in wet weather as they are NOT weather sealed. If you want a highly affordable weather resistant camera, you might want to look at a K10D, K20D or K200D. The latter is a bit of a unicorn as they only made it for about eight months, but it presently is my favorite camera that I own.
07-20-2018, 10:57 AM - 3 Likes   #3
Veteran Member

I've never been able to figure out how to put film in a K2000...
07-20-2018, 11:35 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by John Poirier Quote
I've never been able to figure out how to put film in a K2000...
It’s kind of like disc film 😛

07-20-2018, 11:46 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K2000 is very very similar to the K-x but the K-x has a different sensor, and video. The K-x is much better at higher ISOs, especially if you shoot JPEG. If you shoot RAW the K2000 should be ok up to ISO 800 if exposed right - the K-x and the K-r (which I used to have) can give good images up to ISO 1600 and even 3200 is good if exposed right. I even had some ISO 6400 pictures with the K-r that I liked.

At ISO 100-400 the images from the K2000 are absolutely gorgeous (in my opinion) so I would say it's worth as as a backup if the price is right, or as a camera to shoot when it's sunny and/or bright outside (I prefer the older CCD sensors like the K2000 and my K10D when it's bright outside, I think it handles harsh light much better).
07-20-2018, 01:01 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dvitale Quote
... K-2000 as a second camera at a great price. I need to know will it be worth it ...
"worth it" depends on the price. If it's < $100 USD it could be worth it to have a 2nd body. Note that used K-5 can be found for around $250. That's a much nicer camera than the K2000 and leaves your Kx as a 2nd body. If the Kx works well I am not forcing you into a more expensive upgrade, just mentioning this to explain why I don't think the K2000 is worth more than $100.
07-20-2018, 02:57 PM   #7

Waste of time. Just use a cellphone.

07-20-2018, 03:11 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ranchu Quote
Waste of time. Just use a cellphone.
So why are you wasting your time in this forum if you think a cellphone is better than a DSLR?
07-20-2018, 08:34 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I loved my k2000 (stolen) and present KM. Probably most of my favorite shots are taken with it.

PS: Ranchu,. if you really want to know "Who the are you" you could look at his photos and comments.
07-20-2018, 09:35 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax K-x vs. Pentax K-m/K2000 vs. Pentax K10D - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com
Check this page out, there are few differences, I did use K-x , great small performer , still with the Family.
They have different sensors, some people love the colours of the old CCD sensor, I still use K10D for that reason.
Never used K-m/K2000.
07-20-2018, 10:56 PM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Personally I wouldn't bother with the K2000 if you have a K-x, unless you're getting a really good deal on it. While both cameras are dated at this point, the K-x's sensor is quite a bit better than the one in the K2000, and the latter also lacks live view, if that's important to you.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-20-2018, 11:00 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by E-man Quote
I have a Kx and used to have a K2000. They're both nice cameras and almost identical except I don't believe the K2000 has video capability. I may be wrong about that; it's been a few years since I sold it. I would be wary of using either camera in wet weather as they are NOT weather sealed. If you want a highly affordable weather resistant camera, you might want to look at a K10D, K20D or K200D. The latter is a bit of a unicorn as they only made it for about eight months, but it presently is my favorite camera that I own.
As the OP is a new member, I think some tolerance should be given to posting in the wrong category. I'm a quite old member who has been inactive due to health issues but am now getting back to things.

I agree that the K20D, which is a very solid camera, is worth considering if wet weather use is a significant requirement. I bought mine when they first came out and have kept it as a backup and for slide copying. I still take it out when the weather is really bad, as my main system is not so well weather sealed.
07-21-2018, 12:51 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The K-x will beat the K20D for low light use in terms of lower noise, which is also is not compact like a K-x. I don't know if the K-x is vulnerable to the aperture block problem, but it has some issues and shortcomings of its own- no focus point confirmation in the VF, and also had some mirror slap vibration problems. These were successfully addressed in the subsequent K-r.

But for low light use and also having weather sealing when used with a WR lens, the more recent but now discontinued compact model, the K-S2 is excellent, as well as having both thumb and finger superior control dials, and a swing-out rear LCD screen for shooting in live view from difficult positions.
07-21-2018, 02:07 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
"worth it" depends on the price. If it's < $100 USD it could be worth it to have a 2nd body. Note that used K-5 can be found for around $250. That's a much nicer camera than the K2000 and leaves your Kx as a 2nd body. If the Kx works well I am not forcing you into a more expensive upgrade, just mentioning this to explain why I don't think the K2000 is worth more than $100.

I agree with the K-5 being thought of as something to consider, a well regarded camera body that would be a step up from your Kx, On the other hand, I bought a K20D after the K-5 as it was to well priced to ignore so that is my 2nd body along with a Kr and a K100D Super, it seems one can never have enough of anything!

07-27-2018, 04:33 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a K2000 that I bought new around 2008. It served it purpose and was ok overall, but I always had battery issues. Lately I've put eneloop pro batteries in and it seems to be working better, though I haven't tried taking it out all day and shooting 50-60 pics. Maybe sometime this summer I will. I recently picked up a K-2S for $333 from RobertCamera on ebay in mint condition (no lens). I wouldn't waste money (even if it's only $100) for a K2000. Put that money towards a lens, or pick up a 16-20MP body which I see in the $250-$350 range used. BTW..the K-2S I got had a shutter count under 100 and I was offered a 3 yr extended warranty for $21.