Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-21-2018, 08:40 AM   #1
Forum Member

Pentax KP or K-70 for a first DSLR

Hello guys,

I am still new in the world of photography and DSLRs, but hopefully - this will change soon.

At the moment I am exploring my options for buying my first DSLR and I am almost sure it will be a Pentax.

Till now - most of my photos were taken either with a phone or with a compact camera. I've taken some shots with K-50 and my general impressions are good. This and the comments which I have received from more experienced photographers convinced me to choose Pentax.

Now having to choose the exact model - I am choosing from two models - Pentax KP and Pentax K-70.
Reading through the reviews for both cameras - they seem very similar to me (in theory KP should be better, but based on the reviews - this is not always the case), so I hope that you can point me in the right direction.

So, long story short - could you suggest me which Pentax to choose and why - KP or K-70, for my first DSLR?

Thanks in advance!

07-21-2018, 08:46 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by icegirl Quote
Hello guys,

I am still new in the world of photography and DSLRs, but hopefully - this will change soon.

At the moment I am exploring my options for buying my first DSLR and I am almost sure it will be a Pentax.

Till now - most of my photos were taken either with a phone or with a compact camera. I've taken some shots with K-50 and my general impressions are good. This and the comments which I have received from more experienced photographers convinced me to choose Pentax.

Now having to choose the exact model - I am choosing from two models - Pentax KP and Pentax K-70.
Reading through the reviews for both cameras - they seem very similar to me (in theory KP should be better, but based on the reviews - this is not always the case), so I hope that you can point me in the right direction.

So, long story short - could you suggest me which Pentax to choose and why - KP or K-70, for my first DSLR?

Thanks in advance!
I plan for the KP to be my next, and probably last {I'm 70-1/2 now}, camera; it is more svelte and the 'silver' version looks 'cool' to me, but the primary reason I would make this decision is build-quality.

Last edited by reh321; 07-21-2018 at 09:56 AM.
07-21-2018, 08:54 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hello guys,

Thanks in advance!
I own the KP and I highly recommend it. It's compact, well built, and the image quality is excellent.
07-21-2018, 08:59 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'd want the K-70, pretty much just for the reversible articulating screen.. the K-70 still has 14-bit RAW and PixelShift and it's cheaper..

07-21-2018, 09:37 AM - 3 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
I'd want the K-70, pretty much just for the reversible articulating screen.. the K-70 still has 14-bit RAW and PixelShift and it's cheaper..
First bit of "wisdom from a newbie" what images do you seek? The box and all the appendages, editing program, etc. are just tools. I went with the K-70. I have found it to be a handful especially with a heavy lens. The weight does help me as my hands tend toward a slight shake. Don't neglect to look at the specs on tripods. I found that most experts highlighted that it was a good landscape camera (it has proven to be) but lackluster for video (I don't do it). I did not think an articulating screen was import and I was very wrong. Using live view I have held it above my head and this morning it was on a fully collapsed tripod and I did not have lay down to use a view finder. (At 70 it is the getting up that is a problem.) Again, get the tool for the job.
07-21-2018, 09:51 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I went with the K-70 in order to hold some funds back for the release of Pentax next APS-C flagship. I have not been disappointed. A lot of bang for the buck. If you haven't done so already check out the camera reviews and the DSLR Specific Forums. I doubt you'll be sorry owning either one.
07-21-2018, 09:56 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

If funds are not an issue, i would choose the KP (i had to make the same choice, as a second family camera and went for the KP).

The build quality is something you have experience first hand. If you have a metal bodied camera, it is hard to go back to plastic.

07-21-2018, 10:25 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I chose the K70 as it is almost half the price of a KP and most reviews say its more bang for the buck than the KP. I see now the K3II can be bought for the same price here, $700 CDN, but I need a flippy screen.
For the first camera, I would check out mirrorless cameras first.
I love my Pentax don't get me wrong, but mirrorless is going to be the future. I went for Olympus EM10 mk2 it has anti-shake in the body like Pentax.

Just checking prices here in Canada, McBain camera,\
K70 with 18-135 lens $1050CDN
KP body only $1130CDN

Last edited by zippythezip; 07-21-2018 at 10:52 AM.
07-21-2018, 10:35 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If you are money limited, get the K70 and 18-135. Next step up would be K70 and 16-85.
07-21-2018, 10:45 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you all for the comments and suggestions!

During the last couple of weeks - I have been reading a lot of reviews and comments about both cameras, but still - I cannot decide.

I've set up a budget for this, as I prefer to choose a solution which will provide me more quality and options in a long run. Saying that - perhaps the problem is that I am still not sure if I will take photography more and more serious in the future, or I just want a decent camera for taking photos during trips, events etc.

I've watched a review for KP, and one of the conclusions was that one of the reasons for Pentax to come up with it is as an answer to the competition for the mirrorless cameras. Basically - the review stated that KP is great if it will be used with small lens with fixed focal length. K-70 on the other hand (again according to the reviews) seems more suited for larger lens.

I am still learning about the different lens, pros and cons of the and vario and I also try to find the best combination of camera + lens for my budget. Perhaps I will try to write some of these combinations and will post them here for your opinions.
07-21-2018, 11:17 AM   #11
Pentaxian

In my view the comments regarding build quality are misleading and irrelevant. Don't take any notice - the K-70 has superb build quality - a stainless steel chassis with a plastic casing, but the plastic is polycarbonate - an extremely strong and durable material, also used in making crash helmets and bullet-proof glass.

You would not be disappointed if you were to buy a K-70 - it will help you learn, and its features are capable of producing excellent images in a wide range of conditions. Also you could use the money saved (compared with the cost of the KP) to fund an extra lens or some other useful gadgets such as a good flash or tripod.
07-21-2018, 11:23 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
If you are money limited, get the K70 and 18-135. Next step up would be K70 and 16-85.
I would second this. When I started out it was the K-50 and 18-135, and it still serves me well.
07-21-2018, 11:29 AM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

I would suggest the K-70 and put the extra money on some lenses. A K-70 with some good lenses will be much more useful than a K-P with only the kit lens... Or, sais otherwise, lenses are much more important than the camera itself. Between the two cameras you,re looking for, the best will the one with the best lens.
07-21-2018, 11:54 AM   #14
Veteran Member

If you plan on a grip down the road, save up for the KP, if you need an IR remote go for the K-70, If you are going to use large lenses, they both will do fine since when you get into long lenses you probably have a lens foot to mount on a tripod or monopod.

I personally went from a K-50 to a KP and love it, mostly due to the lack of AA filter and better resolution, but over the past year I have gotten much better glass than what I started with. Since the sensor and most capabilities are the same, if a budget needs to be kept, the K-70 and the 18-135 is the way to start, and if in a year or so you want to try the KP, or perhaps the newest flagship, (if it is released next year,)you can sell the K-70 body after getting your initial use out of it. Glass is the important thing with a 24 Megapixel sensor.

---------- Post added 07-21-18 at 11:55 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by CarlJF Quote
I would suggest the K-70 and put the extra money on some lenses. A K-70 with some good lenses will be much more useful than a K-P with only the kit lens... Or, sais otherwise, lenses are much more important than the camera itself. Between the two cameras you,re looking for, the best will the one with the best lens.
What Carl has said is very true, the difference between some older, inexpensive lenses and a more modern design becomes much more evident when the sensor is as good as the one in the K-70 and KP.
07-21-2018, 11:56 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Thank you all for the comments and suggestions!

During the last couple of weeks - I have been reading a lot of reviews and comments about both cameras, but still - I cannot decide.

I've set up a budget for this, as I prefer to choose a solution which will provide me more quality and options in a long run. Saying that - perhaps the problem is that I am still not sure if I will take photography more and more serious in the future, or I just want a decent camera for taking photos during trips, events etc.

I've watched a review for KP, and one of the conclusions was that one of the reasons for Pentax to come up with it is as an answer to the competition for the mirrorless cameras. Basically - the review stated that KP is great if it will be used with small lens with fixed focal length. K-70 on the other hand (again according to the reviews) seems more suited for larger lens.

I am still learning about the different lens, pros and cons of the and vario and I also try to find the best combination of camera + lens for my budget. Perhaps I will try to write some of these combinations and will post them here for your opinions.
KP with large grip.