Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 43 Likes Search this Thread
07-21-2018, 03:48 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DW58 Quote
K-70's ISO button has nothing to do with AF. Tab above OK is dedicated to ISO. I'm sure you know that to use the 4 way to move focus points you must press and hold OK button.
I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying you have hold the OK button down in order to move the focus points? That's not how it works with the K-5 — or the KP for that matter. That would be another reason for me to avoid the K-70, because I'm constantly moving the focus points around. Of course, if you don't ever move the focus points, then however the interface works, it's not an issue.

I can't be the only person who complains about using the OK button to switch modes on the K-5 series of cameras, because Pentax went away from that feature when they introduced the K-3.

07-21-2018, 04:03 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If you have the budget for the KP, I would instead buy the k70 and spend the difference on a prime lens in addition to the zoom kit lens (for example the 18-135 as suggested above). At least right now in the us, the price difference is around $300 and could cover: da 35, da 50, FA 50 macro, DA 35 limited macro (used), and perhaps others. A prime lens isn't just better for the larger aperture, it's also smaller and lighter, or may allow macro shooting depending on what you get.
07-21-2018, 04:23 PM - 1 Like   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by icegirl Quote
Thank you all for the comments and suggestions!

During the last couple of weeks - I have been reading a lot of reviews and comments about both cameras, but still - I cannot decide.

I've set up a budget for this, as I prefer to choose a solution which will provide me more quality and options in a long run. Saying that - perhaps the problem is that I am still not sure if I will take photography more and more serious in the future, or I just want a decent camera for taking photos during trips, events etc.

I've watched a review for KP, and one of the conclusions was that one of the reasons for Pentax to come up with it is as an answer to the competition for the mirrorless cameras. Basically - the review stated that KP is great if it will be used with small lens with fixed focal length. K-70 on the other hand (again according to the reviews) seems more suited for larger lens.

I am still learning about the different lens, pros and cons of the and vario and I also try to find the best combination of camera + lens for my budget. Perhaps I will try to write some of these combinations and will post them here for your opinions.

May I suggest that you consider a K5 with the 18-135. It will not be a big outlay and you get to try with a flagship camera of its day. I have been using mine for some years and it never disappoints.

Once you get the hang of things you can then save and get the new soon to be released Flagship replacement for the K3.

My 2 cents worth, Hope it helps

Cheers
07-21-2018, 04:42 PM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying you have hold the OK button down in order to move the focus points? That's not how it works with the K-5 — or the KP for that matter. That would be another reason for me to avoid the K-70, because I'm constantly moving the focus points around. Of course, if you don't ever move the focus points, then however the interface works, it's not an issue.

I can't be the only person who complains about using the OK button to switch modes on the K-5 series of cameras, because Pentax went away from that feature when they introduced the K-3.
You hold OK button down for a couple of seconds. Now the 4 way is used for moving focus point around. ISO, Flash, WB, and shooting mode is disabled. Hold down OK again for a couple of seconds and now you can't change focus point. ISO, Flash, WB and shooting modes are available again using the 4 way. You do not have to continually hold down the OK button to move focus point. Operation of OK button on K-3 and K-70 is very similar. I have both. But I drowned my K-3 in Costa Rica.

Last edited by DW58; 07-21-2018 at 04:48 PM.
07-21-2018, 05:06 PM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Medex Quote
KP with large grip.
A large grip may not be suitable for a female hand.

Depending where you are, your KP may come with all three grips, and you can choose which to install (e.g. the US), or with only the small grip (e.g. Australia), so you would have to purchase the medium or large separately if you wanted it. I'm not sure about Europe.
07-21-2018, 05:51 PM   #36
Veteran Member

...I've set up a budget for this ...
if your budget is enough to get a KP, get a KP. My simple rule of buying electronic gadget is, pay a bit more for the best of the line today and I won't have to be sorry later.
But if your budget is not there for the KP, then your budget is not there. it looks like you have done a lot of research already and you have narrowed it down to these 2 model, just go get the one fit your budget.

.. I prefer to choose a solution which will provide me more quality and options in a long run...
You are talking about KP here?!

perhaps the problem is that I am still not sure if I will take photography more and more serious in the future, or I just want a decent camera for taking photos during trips, events etc ..
I think most major Smartphone today is already a decent camera and it will continue to get better and better. The fact that you are thinking of getting a DSLR at the KP K70 price points in the smartphone age, means your heart want to get serious with the photography. [Warning: Photography is fun and addictive!]
If you still think you are not sure, the first question should be; Stay with a smartphone (upgrade your phone) or go with a DSLR?
If the answer is DSLR, then you can go back to #1 above.
07-21-2018, 05:53 PM   #37
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Welcome to PF @Icegirl. You have already got a lot of advice from experienced users.

I am still learning about the different lens, pros and cons of the and vario and I also try to find the best combination of camera + lens for my budget. Perhaps I will try to write some of these combinations and will post them here for your opinions.
Good idea. Like a lot of choices, much depends on your budget and your priorities. To some extent the differences of opinion expressed in this thread arise from different assumptions about what your priorities are.

One point to emphasise is that with a DSLR you are getting a package. The lenses are as important as, if not more important than, the camera. A more advanced camera body will let you get better images, but the differences are not as great as you might imagine. If you have a limited budget, leave room in the budget for some decent lenses that will suit your requirements, and also for some accessories that will be useful to you, like a spare battery, SD cards, a flash (and maybe diffuser or modifiers), a suitable carry bag, and a decent tripod.

If I had a budget of say 1500 euros, I wouldn't spend two-thirds of it on the camera body. I'd allow say 600-700 for the body, 300-500 for a good "walkaround" zoom (maybe in a package with the body) and save the rest for other lenses and accessories. That's just me, but it's the sort of thing you need to weigh up.

Last edited by Des; 07-21-2018 at 09:58 PM.
07-21-2018, 06:09 PM - 1 Like   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

While you making up your mind to choose a camera why don't you join us here Daily in July 2018 - discussion thread - PentaxForums.com
You can jump right in use any camera and even use your cell phone camera. You can see what gear we use and it's a friendly spot and no one will belittle your photos, a fun place to learn.
07-21-2018, 06:13 PM - 2 Likes   #39
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've never even seen a K-70, and I like my KP a lot, but a couple of times I have missed the ability to use an IR remote. The fully articulating screen of the K-70 would also be a plus. At this stage of the game I wouldn't get too hung up about the difference in built quality.

If image quality is comparable (and I understand it is), I would suggest the K-70, mainly to give you more money for better glass. The DA18-135 is the logical starter, then I'd look for something faster (like the DA50/1.8), and maybe something wider (like the DA15 Limited).
07-21-2018, 07:12 PM - 1 Like   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
IMO, the K-70 has menus geared toward helping a novice make great photos. The KP does not and can easily lead to frustration for beginners. Aside from a couple of stops advantage that the KP has over the K-70, the KP has nothing that a novice would find useful. If you're serious about making better photos, get the K-70 and take some photography lessons.

Good luck and hope you're making great photos soon!
07-21-2018, 07:26 PM   #41
Imp
Pentaxian

I went from a K-30 to a K-3, I would certainly love to try a KP! The form factor with a limited (of which I have the smc 21) would be fantastic. The K-3 form factor makes you hold the camera in a certain way, and I would think the KP would allow you to hold it differently, like a film camera, with pros and cons - bottom line: K-70 if you're thinking of larger lenses, KP if you're thinking of pancake primes?
07-21-2018, 07:40 PM - 2 Likes   #42

Hello guys,

I am still new in the world of photography and DSLRs, but hopefully - this will change soon.

At the moment I am exploring my options for buying my first DSLR and I am almost sure it will be a Pentax.

Till now - most of my photos were taken either with a phone or with a compact camera. I've taken some shots with K-50 and my general impressions are good. This and the comments which I have received from more experienced photographers convinced me to choose Pentax.

Now having to choose the exact model - I am choosing from two models - Pentax KP and Pentax K-70.
Reading through the reviews for both cameras - they seem very similar to me (in theory KP should be better, but based on the reviews - this is not always the case), so I hope that you can point me in the right direction.

So, long story short - could you suggest me which Pentax to choose and why - KP or K-70, for my first DSLR?

Thanks in advance!
I too am in the same boat. I've spent countless hours researching the big three and Pentax. For the money, it seems Pentax cany be beat. The K-70 & KP are great cameras(purely from research). I however decided to pull the trigger on the K-70. Reviewing photos on imaging-resource for clarity and iso performance; as well as the articulating screen and budget, did it for me. I dont think you will be disappointed either way. Best of luck!
07-21-2018, 08:37 PM   #43

Personally, I would go for a used body (either a K-3, K-3 II, K-70, etc.) and put the rest of the money towards some glass. Camera bodies come and go.
07-21-2018, 09:38 PM   #44

I have the k70. Bought it due to price/performance, and having existing lenses. First thing I found was that it made the existing lenses look bad. (except for screw mount taks). Once I got my first good lens, the pentax-K 100mm macro, I found what the sensor on the K70 could really do. It is in no way 'entry level', except for the battery. The KP has similar image quality and a wee little grip, while the K70 has almost all the same manual control and the amazingly useful screen. I use the articulation for everything - Holding overhead at events, waist level, and tripod work. I came from using a Panasonic FZ-30 so was used to dual control dials and the big grip. The controls, grip, and lack of lenses kept me from the Sony a6300, which has the same sensor (I think, Sony IMX 271). Being a microscopist I am picky with image quality.
07-21-2018, 11:31 PM   #45

If you can afford, get the Kp. Is not just a little improvement as some poster are trying to imply.

Faster autofocus, more focusing points, better low light images, more frames per second in burst shooting, 5 axis stabilization, a newer CPU (Prime IV vs II), better metering system, third wheel controller, faster (electronic) shutter speed, ultrasonic sensor cleaning, metal build, battery grip option..... These aren't just "a bit" better qualities. And then again, is a gorgeous looking camera.