Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 43 Likes Search this Thread
07-22-2018, 06:50 AM   #61
Forum Member

Original Poster
Again - thank you all for your advise!

It is nice to hear that these options are mainly in the right direction. So, right now - I consider starting with a body + kit lens (either 18-135 or 18-50) or something similar (as the Sigma 17-50).

I will look around some more, who knows - probably I can find an offer with a discount next month.

In the meantime - I will follow this thread for some other suggestions (if any).

Thanks again!

07-22-2018, 07:11 AM   #62

So a lot of things have been said up until this point, mostly 'Model References' and 'Lens Ranges', but unless I missed a mention earlier in the thread, what are some things that you are interested in capturing?

Without getting dragged into the minutia, the K70 and KP (if those are the two models you are dead set on) are both very capable cameras.

Last edited by sutherland; 07-22-2018 at 07:19 AM.
07-22-2018, 07:21 AM   #63
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you decide on the K-70 option #1 would be my choice. But I see no option listed for KP and 18-135mm. That lens selling at B&H right now for only $100.00 more than 18-50mm. Something to consider.
07-22-2018, 08:28 AM   #64
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by icegirl Quote
Again - thank you all for your advise!

It is nice to hear that these options are mainly in the right direction. So, right now - I consider starting with a body + kit lens (either 18-135 or 18-50) or something similar (as the Sigma 17-50).

I will look around some more, who knows - probably I can find an offer with a discount next month.

In the meantime - I will follow this thread for some other suggestions (if any).

Thanks again!
What appears to be a like new 18-135 is for sale at a very good price in the for sale thread right now. If I needed it, I would have snatched it up already.

07-22-2018, 09:20 AM   #65
Veteran Member

I will change my K-5 soon and was incline to move to KP but looking at deal in Canada, I now looking for the K-70. The deal with the K-70 and 18-135 is with tax $1069 cdn and KP alone is $1102 cdn. The K-70 alone is $745 CDN.The lens alone is $549 cdn, this mean the K-70 body will cost me realy $523 cdn an extrodinary deal.

I just got today the DA-55-300 PLM and I have the Sigma 15-70 and Tamron 10-24. I think , I can do a almost anything I want.

In Canada , the biggest problem is trying to sell Pentax equipment, their almost no buyer for my K-5 or ridiculous offer
07-22-2018, 09:51 AM   #66
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
I will change my K-5 soon and was incline to move to KP but looking at deal in Canada, I now looking for the K-70. The deal with the K-70 and 18-135 is with tax $1069 cdn and KP alone is $1102 cdn. The K-70 alone is $745 CDN.The lens alone is $549 cdn, this mean the K-70 body will cost me realy $523 cdn an extrodinary deal.

I just got today the DA-55-300 PLM and I have the Sigma 15-70 and Tamron 10-24. I think , I can do a almost anything I want.

In Canada , the biggest problem is trying to sell Pentax equipment, their almost no buyer for my K-5 or ridiculous offer
Become a site supporter and sell it here. You will probably make up the cost of supporting the site.

The 18-135 for sale is less than $250 CDN.
07-22-2018, 09:59 AM   #67
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
1.Pentax KP + Pentax HD PENTAX DA 18-50mm f/4.0-5.6 DC WR RE ~ 1100 euro
Given the pricing in your market this seems like a good compact versatile option to start with.

KP is the latest tech from Pentax and will give you a lot of camera to grow in to over the years.
It is a generation newer than the K-70 in terms of metering, shake reduction and auto-focus.

18-50 is a good focal range to start with and cover most things from wide angle to long normal.

It is also lightweight and compact which means you'll probably take it out of the house more than a larger heavier lens.

Once you get to know this focal range it will become clear what lenses you may want next.

07-22-2018, 10:00 AM   #68
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If this is your budget, and what is available, I'm with Sandy and the rest who recommend K-70 option no.1 because it right off will give you the greatest capability and high quality in both its usability and its range. You can do a lot more with the DA 18-135mm DC WR lens, which is compact, well-built, has weather sealing like the camera body, and handles beautifully, than one only going out to 50mm. A lens only at 28mm at the wide end is not wide angle at all. The Pentax DA 50mm has the very large f/1.8 aperture capability for low light use and for fast action shots to give you more shutter speed for hand held use. It is also a very good portrait lens of the right focal length and aperture to blur background to make your subject stand out from it.

You'd have a fine kit capable of giving you excellent results in most anything you'd want to do right away. It goes beyond a learner's kit- many of us use the very same equipment. The only way to top it would be the KP and the same lenses- but that would be more costly.

Last edited by mikesbike; 07-22-2018 at 10:12 AM.
07-22-2018, 12:38 PM   #69
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
You can do a lot more with the DA 18-135mm DC WR lens, which is compact, well-built, has weather sealing like the camera body, and handles beautifully, than one only going out to 50mm.
Icegirl - it's worth stressing Mike's point for your consideration - learning is about investigating, and you can't experiment with focal lengths that you don't have. In this regard the 18-135 is the most sensible of your listed options.
07-22-2018, 02:24 PM - 1 Like   #70
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MrB1 Quote
Icegirl - it's worth stressing Mike's point for your consideration - learning is about investigating, and you can't experiment with focal lengths that you don't have. In this regard the 18-135 is the most sensible of your listed options.
I agree. The only reason to consider the 18-50 is if it's an attractive package price which if often the case. Way back when i bought my K10D, the 18-50 kit lens was only $20 more than the body only. When I bought my KP, Adorama included a 50mm lens as a free "gift."
07-22-2018, 05:44 PM   #71
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
By more options in a long-run - I mean not only the body, but also the lens. From what I've read (and also from the comment in this thread) - perhaps a better option will be to go for better lens and K-70 instead of KP and not so better lens.
That’s truth if you are limited to select either a good body or a good lens.
I am not saying K70 is not a good body. But KP is built to be the top of it class (even above its class!). But IMO, both bodies are good.
My point is to go for the best of the line, and it will save you $$$ in the long run. That said, I would go with better body, skip the kit lens but go for a better prime or save a bit more for a better zoom (zoom is almost always more expensive than prime).
From your lists, you don’t have a 20-40 there. Have you take a look at 20-40? I am not sure how much in Euro, but I only hear good thing about this Zoom. I test this zoom in store many times and I really like its image quality and it is a beautiful design lens. I almost get the lens but I go for a DA21 green ring at the end because of it starburst effect at the expense of WR feather like in 20-40.

Thank you all for the comments and suggestions!!

I've explored some options for camera + lens, which kinda fit in my budget:

Pentax KP
1.Pentax KP + Pentax HD PENTAX DA 18-50mm f/4.0-5.6 DC WR RE ~ 1100 euro
2.Pentax KP + Pentax 18-50mm WR + Pentax 50mm f/1.8 DA ~ 1200 euro

Your comments about these options will be much appreciated!
I would consider "KP + 20-40"

Again, I am not sure how much is 20-40 over there. Get a brand new body then a secondhand 20-40 to keep the cost down?

Last edited by pakinjapan; 07-22-2018 at 05:55 PM.
07-22-2018, 09:58 PM   #72
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
IMO, #1 and #4 are the best options starting out.#3 is a fine option too but the 28-105 lens is not wide on APS-C and that may be a problem before long.#2, the DA 17-70 SDM can be a problem lens. There is a Sigma alternative that is well thought of.
QuoteOriginally posted by MrB1 Quote
K-70 Option 1 - by far the most versatile high quality starter set.
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
This one. As already recommended. Add the DA15 Limited when the LBA strikes
QuoteOriginally posted by DW58 Quote
If you decide on the K-70 option #1 would be my choice. But I see no option listed for KP and 18-135mm. That lens selling at B&H right now for only $100.00 more than 18-50mm. Something to consider.
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
If this is your budget, and what is available, I'm with Sandy and the rest who recommend K-70 option no.1 because it right off will give you the greatest capability and high quality in both its usability and its range. You can do a lot more with the DA 18-135mm DC WR lens, which is compact, well-built, has weather sealing like the camera body, and handles beautifully, than one only going out to 50mm.
I agree that option #1 (K-70 + DA 18-135 + DA 50 f1.8) is a great starter kit, and probably the best value for money. There's a long thread here of images from the 18-135: DA 18-135 WR, Show us what it can do - PentaxForums.com It's often referred to as a kit lens, but it's a lot more than that.

Option #4 (K-70 + DA 16-85) is good too. The extra width may let you get away without an ultrawide lens, and most people who have used both the 16-85 and 18-135 say that the 16-85 produces images with more edge/corner sharpness across the range. If you are interested in architectural images, or classic landscapes with corner-to-corner sharpness, the 16-85 might be the better option. The 16-85 also has the newer HD coatings, which cut down flare and improves contrast. The downsides of the 16-85, compared to the 18-135, are its extra cost, extra bulk, and more limited reach (85mm rather than 135mm). Whether either matters will depend on your shooting style, and on whether you are likely to get a telephoto lens later (e.g. DA 55-300 PLM). Compared to Option #1, you would also miss a fast, lightweight and compact prime for low light, portraits and subject separation. Such a prime would be a great addition, but you might be able to live without it for a while, until you see whether the whole DSLR thing suits you. What's more there are plenty of good 50mm lenses out there, especially if you can live with manual focus - not hard to pick up something for a good price. Also, using the 16-85 for a while will help you decide which focal lengths would suit you best for your next lens - it could be a macro, or one of the DA or FA Limiteds, or a 28, or a wide angle lens, or a telephoto lens, rather than a 50. You would be unlikely to outgrow the 16-85.

@DW58 makes a good point too. What's the difference in price between the K-70 + DA 18-135 and K-P + DA 18-135?

Last edited by Des; 07-22-2018 at 11:03 PM.
07-24-2018, 10:21 AM   #73

The K-P is not a regular design series from pentax, its like the old K-01 or a K-S1, there's a big probability that they may never be a KP II. What I'm trying to say is, the design is a big factor when choosing the KP and not just its features. And because of its design, you may still favor it 5 years from now over newer pentax cameras with better technology.
07-24-2018, 02:31 PM   #74
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by caliscouser Quote
Given the pricing in your market this seems like a good compact versatile option to start with.

KP is the latest tech from Pentax and will give you a lot of camera to grow in to over the years.
It is a generation newer than the K-70 in terms of metering, shake reduction and auto-focus.

18-50 is a good focal range to start with and cover most things from wide angle to long normal.

It is also lightweight and compact which means you'll probably take it out of the house more than a larger heavier lens.

Once you get to know this focal range it will become clear what lenses you may want next.
Does the 18-50 have an in-lens auto-motor or does it use screw-drive for AF?
07-24-2018, 02:55 PM   #75
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Does the 18-50 have an in-lens auto-motor or does it use screw-drive for AF?
I have the DA-L 18-50mm (the regular DA is the same size with HD coatings). I bought it as a kit in a great deal with the K-S2 for next to nothing extra. It retracts for very compact carrying. I use it exclusively with the K-S2 only when I want this ultra-compact combo. I also have the DA 18-135mm, which I've had even longer. Both have WR, and also DC motors for silent, fast AF. The DA 18-135mm, however has a far superior build quality. It is amazingly compact for its zoom range. it is capable of fine image quality over a much greater range, and I think its AF is even a bit better than the 18-50mm. In fact, its AF performs at the highest level among all Pentax lenses I have experienced, including some of the most expensive.

Last edited by mikesbike; 07-24-2018 at 03:01 PM.