Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2007, 04:18 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why do I lose all exif info when I shoot raw

I shoot in raw, then copy an image to gimp where I do some processing and sizing. When I save changes converting back to Tiff or Jpeg I can't find any exif info in my Picasa 2 program. This is annoying because I like to write on back of my printed shots how I arrived at each shot, like iso, etc.. Any way I can save the exif? Freddy

02-24-2007, 04:36 PM   #2

EXIF gets discarded when you copy your image via clipboard because you copy only image data, not metadata, which is present in the file. If you open raw directly with GIMP (using UFRaw) and then save, original EXIF info is saved too so Picasa can read it.
02-24-2007, 04:47 PM   #3
Veteran Member

In addition to what aabram says, if you ever decide to use photoshop the "save for the web" option also drops the exif file as well.

cheers

randy
02-24-2007, 05:12 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Suggestion:

I use Pentax Photo Browser to save a CSV of the exif data, then add that into a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet called..."PhotoExif" :-) That way, I always have a record regardless of what I do to the image later.

02-25-2007, 04:48 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Guys, are you saying that I should save the raw shots directly from camera to the GIMP program. What I have been doing is to save shots directly from camera to Picasa 2. Freddy

Last edited by fevbusch; 02-25-2007 at 04:49 AM. Reason: correcting my spelling
02-25-2007, 05:19 AM   #6
Veteran Member

What I do is copy the folder containing the shots and then paste it into an folder on my hard drive. If I want to open a particular file in GIMP, I do it via the right-click menu, unless I already have GIMP open, in which case I tend to drag-n-drop to open.
02-25-2007, 05:52 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for the help Mike. I'll try it out.
Checked out your shots: "Caught" is a gem! A woman's glance can truly light up the world. The "tightrope walker" is really special. Thanks for sharing these with me. Freddy

02-25-2007, 06:03 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Suggestion:

I use Pentax Photo Browser to save a CSV of the exif data, then add that into a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet called..."PhotoExif" :-) That way, I always have a record regardless of what I do to the image later.
That's a GREAT idea, but doesn't it take forever? I mean, you fill up a 2 gb card, that's nearly 200 images. Or do you only do this for keepers?
02-25-2007, 06:24 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fevbusch Quote
Thanks for the help Mike. I'll try it out.
Checked out your shots: "Caught" is a gem! A woman's glance can truly light up the world. The "tightrope walker" is really special. Thanks for sharing these with me. Freddy
You're very welcome, and thanks for taking a look. I must clarify that the "Caught" image is not mine, but was taken by another fellow who left a comment on one of my shots. The interface on that site can make it a bit unclear when moving from one person's material to that of another.
02-25-2007, 07:35 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Why On Earth Are You Using The GIMP?!!!!!

I shoot in raw, then copy an image to gimp
The GIMP is a horrible program for processing photographs using your wonderful Pentax DSLR because you are limited to 8-bit colour. It also has no colour profiling capabilities. Use Cinepaint (CinePaint) when you shoot RAW. Use ufraw UFRaw - Home to convert to 16-bit TIFFs and manipulate 16-bit (or even 32-bit), not 8-bit files.Cinepaint also supports HDR.
Another amazing, free, 16-bit , free Linux program, is Lightzone. Light Crafts
To manipulate RAW info and embed colour profiles in your images, use exiftools. ExifTool by Phil Harvey. This program can also automatically file your pictures on your HD.
Another 16-bit Linux program is GraphicsMagick (http://www.graphicsmagick.org/), which is command-line based. I use it in conjunction with custom bash-scripts.
Here's an example of a picture processed exactly the same (except for size) using GraphicsMagick and a custom bash script I wrote. Bash scripting is easy and once you've written one script, you can use it over and over again. A massive Linux advantage. Notice the colour difference in the way the golden light is shining on the transformers. Every picture you process to 16-bit instead of 8-bit is clearly and remarkably better. Save your pictures to png to save a little space, keeping the 16-bit colour and making them accessible through your browser. A great way to view your 16-bit pictures is with qiv QIV - Quick Image Viewer - Homepage (for Linux, Sun, FreeBSD and HP-UX). Don't waste the capabilities of your camera using an inappropriate program like the GIMP. The GIMP is a tool for web developers or P&S users.

02-25-2007, 09:16 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr. The Guy Quote
The GIMP is a horrible program for processing photographs using your wonderful Pentax DSLR because you are limited to 8-bit colour.
You do realise that this is very misleading wording here?
GIMP is limited to 8 bits per channel, not just overall 8 bits. There's a HUGE difference.

All adjustments made with UFRaw plugin will be made with all available bits. Only when UFRaw hands the tweaked image over to the GIMP, the successive work will be done with 8 bits per channel.

Last edited by aabram; 02-25-2007 at 09:22 AM.
02-25-2007, 10:21 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr. The Guy Quote
Another amazing, free, 16-bit , free Linux program, is Lightzone. Light Crafts
I followed this link. I see no mention of Linux, and the program is hardly free--$150 for the basic version, $250 for the full version.
02-25-2007, 10:39 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by MPrince Quote
I see no mention of Linux, and the program is hardly free--$150 for the basic version, $250 for the full version.
Try here: LightZone for Linux
02-25-2007, 10:56 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Guys, are you saying that I should save the raw shots directly from camera to the GIMP program. What I have been doing is to save shots directly from camera to Picasa 2. Freddy
The problem is with Picasa. It can display your Pentax Raw files, but Picasa can't/doesn't read the EXIF data in PEF files.

I import my Raw files into Lightroom and do 99% of my post-processing there: adjusting white balance, tweaking contrast and color, etc., but also adding caption, title, keywords, and other info. The last step for me is to export JPEGs to another directory that Picasa is responsible for. I'm then able to create galleries in Picasa for uploading to Picasa web albums. If I import into Lightroom, then export from Lightroom to Picasa, the EXIF info is embedded in the exported JPEG and I can see it both in Picasa and later on the Web.

Will
02-25-2007, 12:31 PM   #15

Whats the point?

In my ignorance and to enlighten me I should like to know, 'Whats the point in using both Lightroom ansd Picasa.

I thought both could be used for raw image developing and filing.

Am I wrong?

I am looking for a very slick workflow and if possible get rid of CS2. Maybe Lightroom and Elements.

Any thoughts.