Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-24-2018, 11:22 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Even well funded scientists can be wrong, so imagine what underfunded ones will do...

Remember when they all predicted that the earth was cooling at a very fast pace? That was a considered a scientific fact only less than 40 years ago...

07-24-2018, 11:50 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm not saying scientists aren't wrong, just to be clear. I'm just saying the level of rigor and the requirements for data eliminate a huge portion of potentially good therapies, while letting almost none through the approval process which are overall deleterious.

And I vividly remember those predictions. It's part of why I view the entire man-made climate change issue skeptically. There is far too much contradictory evidence and too much known data manipulation to place much faith in the various predictions and models. Never mind that none of them have been accurate up to this point.

Certainly science is by nature skepticism. That is the entire basis of the null hypothesis. But knowing what goes into FDA submissions, and how few of them are ultimately approved, doesn't lend much credence to the idea the science is fundamentally contrived.
07-24-2018, 11:56 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
All this talk of the FDA might lead us into politics... Please let's avoid that, folks

Thank you!
On the other hand, politics can't hold a candle to some of the threads we have here that are Pentax-related!
07-24-2018, 12:45 PM   #34
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
On the other hand, politics can't hold a candle to some of the threads we have here that are Pentax-related!
LOL Yeah, I won't disagree with you on that score

07-24-2018, 12:56 PM - 3 Likes   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Sheesh. Cholesterol to global freezing, and did anyone notice the OP said the " mirror has locked up permanently " ? Perhaps the shutter is fine and something else has broken. Or I didn't read it right. Whatever, I'm just trying to get my ten posts in
07-24-2018, 01:05 PM   #36
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I think, the mirorr and the shutter has a shared mechanics. The shutter also stays closed, live view not working.
07-24-2018, 01:14 PM - 2 Likes   #37
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 08amczb Quote
I think, the mirorr and the shutter has a shared mechanics. The shutter also stays closed, live view not working.
But other than that, it's working fine, right?
07-24-2018, 01:41 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 08amczb Quote
I see, thank you for clarifying that. Ok, time for a new body.

07-24-2018, 01:49 PM - 2 Likes   #39
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
But other than that, it's working fine, right?
Yeah, it's a perfect image viewer and editor. :P
07-24-2018, 02:15 PM - 1 Like   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Too bad about the camera, but it does look like it got excellent use and took some great photos. Good luck with the ongoing photo adventures.

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Cholesterol and risk of stroke

Higher Cholesterol Is Associated With Longer Life ? The Mission ? Medium

The FDA is incredibly underfunded, and the drug companies lobbied for that. They want to the FDA to know what they want it to know and nothing else. Cholesterol drugs marketed to everyone with high cholesterol are effective only for a small percentage of the population with pre-existing conditions, and the FDA allowed it to go into use to the general public based on tests on people already sick. Those are the facts. You can defend the FDA as much as you want. That doesn't change the facts.
Not sure what the FDA has to do with anything. Cholesterol medications are mostly generic at this point, beyond which, you live in Canada and decisions aren't made based on the FDA there, are they?

For what it is worth, the best data for cholesterol medications is for people who have had coronary artery disease. Most suggestions at this point are to initiate statins after running a person's information through a risk of coronary artery event prediction tool. If the 10 year risk is more than 10 percent based on these tools, most people would agree with starting a statin, assuming it is tolerated.

Few doctors would start a new statin drug in a very elderly person who did not have known heart disease. You would have a hard time showing that any medicine produced longer lives in 80 year olds as those folks would die of something during your study, even if you had a great medicine.

Last edited by Rondec; 07-24-2018 at 04:56 PM.
07-24-2018, 03:20 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice pictures. Hope you get a great new camera!
07-25-2018, 09:43 AM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
You cannot seriously expect to estimate shutter life, before the cameras start dying of natural causes. There is no data to suggest his experience is above average. That poll you quote has design flaws so serious it's useless, and was the day it was published. Only a controlled group of randomly selected cameras with study size of say a 25-200 could do that. That study is just pure anti-Pentax propaganda repeated ad nauseam by disgruntled users.
I made no scientific claims about the link, but also you are making incorrect assumptions about what the site is all about -- browse it a bit so you can see what you're talking about. There is probably bias in the data submitted, but I expect that data to be biased toward both long-lived cameras and short-lived ones.
07-25-2018, 04:30 PM   #43
Pentaxian
Site Supporter

My friend, I made no incorrect assumptions, and I don't care if you understand why or not. I don't get paid for teaching here.Believe what you want. But you can't have correct conclusions from incomplete data. Your objections are speculation, no fact, Not one cares what might be. Only what is.

Last edited by normhead; 07-25-2018 at 06:57 PM.
07-25-2018, 06:31 PM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My very first DSLR K-30 failed at about 5000 clicks due to aperture block failure...….my second failed at about 50K.
I sold both as parts cameras on ebay and still get real disgusted thinking about it.
I would be happy getting 90K from any camera !
07-25-2018, 06:41 PM   #45
Pentaxian

Are you sure that it is the shutter failure or just broken mirror mechanism assembly? Have you had a chance to find out how much does it cost to repair? Just saying... although it would probably too costly to repair for an old camera (instead of getting a newer used but working camera like k-5).

Last edited by aleonx3; 07-25-2018 at 07:42 PM.