Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
07-27-2018, 11:59 AM - 1 Like   #16

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Having gone through a similar decision in terms of KP vs. K-70, I would suggest you try to hold the two cameras to get a feel for their ergonomics, if you haven't done so already. IMHO, the two cameras feel pretty different, and your preference may depend on the size of your hands.

Good luck with you decision...KP vs. K3ii vs. K-70; I'm guessing you'll be happy no matter which way you go!

07-27-2018, 12:15 PM - 1 Like   #17
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
perhaps outside the box thinking

since you are from the US, you have the option of spending some $ and rent equipment for your own try out

I have had good luck dealing with LensRentals.com from Tennessee

there are other companies

if you choose to rent, I recommend getting the best protection program offered

consider the price of the camera bodies and determine if you could go with a cheaper but good camera body and use the money " saved " for better lenses

Pentax K-mount DSLRs - Pentax Pentax Digital Cameras - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

Pentax KP vs. Pentax K-3 II vs. Pentax K-70 - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

if interested in " experienced " equipment be sure to check out what members of the forums are selling in the market place " buy/sell"
07-27-2018, 12:16 PM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

By the way, the K-3II in silver is still $739 at Adorama. It looks like they're down to their last 3 units. It's pretty cheap at that price.

For $144 more than the K-70 or $131 less than the KP, you get a very advanced & rugged body. Yes. Both the K-70 & KP do produce slightly cleaner images, especially at high ISO, but you're still getting one heck of a deal with the K-3II. The K-70 is about $595 at Adorama & B&H. The KP is about $870 at Adorama & B&H. Just be aware that the K-3II replacement is in the works. You might end up getting buyers remorse once it's released. This is probably not helping your cause. Hahaha!
07-27-2018, 12:32 PM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I went through this very same analysis not long ago, but with a number of Canon and Nikon Cameras in the equation, as well. Once I compared the specs, the numbers and the price of all of them (not to mention the need for/prices of lenses for the other brands) I realized that the K3II is an amazing buy; the K1 wasn't even an also-ran in this analysis. You need to spend a lot more on a competitor (especially if you don't have any Brand X glass) to exceed the stats/performance of the K3II; even the KP and the K70 are going for quite bit more, and they are not as much camera. Yes, the K3II's successor will likely be a much better camera, but it will also be MUCH more expensive. Considering that I got mine with a battery grip (which I consider essential) for less than most guys paid for just the body (or a kit), and I already have an arsenal of pretty good K lenses, it was the only logical choice. Besides, at almost 60, the K3II is likely the last DSLR I'm buying, so it's plenty of kit for me.

07-27-2018, 05:05 PM   #20
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks a bunch everyone! That's a ton of great info. This is really a "what if" for me, not so much a real plan to purchase. If I get a few paid gigs lined up and am willing to drop a big chunk of change, I'll be sure to come back here and read through these threads again. Y'all rock!
07-27-2018, 05:23 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a K3II and my daughter has a K70. They are both great cameras in their own areas of price/performance. There's a big difference though in build and feel. It's not that the K70 is bad in any way, it's more that the K3II is really really good. You can just tell it was meant for professional use if so inclined. In that vein, I really like the dual SD cards, and if you are doing event photography you can go one of two ways - automatic overflow to the second card or run them in parallel so the pictures are written to both cards simultaneously giving you backup if one of the cards fails or gets eaten by the dog etc. Do note that write speed slows down a little when doing both cards, but given the buffer size and what you describe doing, I don't think it will be an issue.

Pretty sure the KP doesn't have an infrared remote shutter release sensor. Not sure what the workaround for that is, but for some it may be an issue.

All that said though, if you were leaning towards the K3II, I might hang on a little and see if we get any more information on a new APS-C flagship. I think we have some upcoming fall shows where an announcement could be made, but if that will happen is anyone's guess.
07-27-2018, 05:28 PM   #22
Veteran Member

My friend got the K-3 and i still have the K-5 . K-3 is a step back when I use it. K-5 was better in video and low light , sorry but that my take. Take K-70 Kit with the 18-135($796 US) or KP

07-27-2018, 06:35 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by roberts_camera Quote
The K-70's articulating screen could come in handy, but I don't see a huge need for that. As new as it is, it seems like maybe it wouldn't be a big enough step from the K-50 to choose over the K-3 II or KP? Maybe I'm wrong though.
When My K30 fell and decided it had lived long enough I purchased a K-S2. I was really interested in having an articulated screen at that time. I saw no need for it. Now I have looked at the KP I would purchase one except the screen doesn't articulate enough LOL. I have fallen in love with that screen. I am a left eyed shooter so moving the screen out gives me extra depth for my nose. urnng it backards in it's place protects it in the bag. I have developed arthritis in my knees so the ability to flip the screen out and up so I don't have to get down on my knees for a low shot is extremely appreciated, as is the ability to turn the screen down and hold the camera over my head and still see what I am shooting. My next camera will have an articulated screen . Any of the cameras you are considering would work . But be prepare if you choose the K0 you may end up falling for that screen.
07-27-2018, 06:57 PM   #24

I was able to pick up a K-3ii with a couple lenses on ebay for a real good deal. I upgraded from the K-S2. I really miss the LCD being able to move around, a LOT lol. But in every other aspect I love the K-3ii. The shutter noise is shockingly quiet compared to my K-S2. I plan on upgrading or adding the K-1 eventually and I will get my tilting screen back then. Or the new K-3 if that ever happens.
07-27-2018, 08:01 PM   #25

K3-ll is a great camera. Not an easy choice you have. Might be worth waiting for the K3-lll
07-28-2018, 01:52 AM   #26
Veteran Member

I have K-S2, would personally prefer Kp for it’s quieter shutter and tilting LCD. K3ii without tilting LCD would limit me in my uses.
08-03-2018, 10:15 AM   #27
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
My friend got the K-3 and i still have the K-5 . K-3 is a step back when I use it. K-5 was better in video and low light , sorry but that my take.
That's an interesting perspective; I thought the K-3 was better in low light. Do you have some more specifics on what you don't like about the K-3? I have the K-5 and am wondering about upgrading to a K-3, KP, or K-1.
08-03-2018, 10:29 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
Pretty sure the KP doesn't have an infrared remote shutter release sensor. Not sure what the workaround for that is, but for some it may be an issue.
True, Wired or via the smartphone app it can be triggered.
KP is better for dim churches, I think it is much faster focusing on screw drive lenses than your K-50 due to a stronger motor. Works great with the PLM 55-300, astro is good, I had a K-50 and went for the KP for the better shutter life as well as the Ultrasonic sensor cleaning,( works beautifully!) and the 5 axis SR. The K-3II has many of the same features but just does not handle low light quite as well. But it is an amazing deal right now.
08-03-2018, 11:48 AM - 1 Like   #29
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
That's an interesting limitation. I used to use the infrared remote a fair bit for group photos including me, but lately, I've just set up the camera to do interval shooting every 4-5 seconds. That way I can just let it rip without having to press the remote button and get back into position while the self-timer counts down. I think I would miss the infrared remote sensor, but I could work around it.
08-03-2018, 04:03 PM - 1 Like   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mlaird Quote
That's an interesting limitation. I used to use the infrared remote a fair bit for group photos including me, but lately, I've just set up the camera to do interval shooting every 4-5 seconds. That way I can just let it rip without having to press the remote button and get back into position while the self-timer counts down. I think I would miss the infrared remote sensor, but I could work around it.
There's a phone app that uses the camera's wifi, but I like your idea of interval shooting.