Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2007, 06:59 PM   #1

ONE last question :)

Would any of you recommend purchasing the K100d body by itself and getting another lens for a few more "Benjamins" or start off with the standard 18-55mm Kit Lens?

I'm only asking this because bhphoto and buydig/beachcamera are all out of stock of the k100d kit at the moment (despite them telling me they'll be restocked by last Friday) - and those vendors were where I planned on purchasing the camera.

Let me know! (And thanks to all those drop in their two cents - much appreciated).

02-24-2007, 07:09 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by USCdeacon Quote
Would any of you recommend purchasing the K100d body by itself and getting another lens for a few more "Benjamins" or start off with the standard 18-55mm Kit Lens?

I'm only asking this because bhphoto and buydig/beachcamera are all out of stock of the k100d kit at the moment (despite them telling me they'll be restocked by last Friday) - and those vendors were where I planned on purchasing the camera.

Let me know! (And thanks to all those drop in their two cents - much appreciated).
The 18-55 mm kit lens is like the old standard 28-80 zoom that became common in the 1990's on film cameras.

If you want to have a real wide angle, you will find it is not wide enough,

It really depends upon what you want to do, but you might wish perhaps the 12-24mm (film equivelent 18-36 mm) and then look for something like a 28-150 mm or 28-200 mm as a secopnd lens. It will cost you a lot more, that is sure. but you will probably out grow the kit lens soon.

If the focal length is OK there is a better and faster 16-45 mm (I think this right lengths from memory)
02-24-2007, 07:10 PM   #3
Veteran Member

The way I would like to put it is this:
If you don't know what lenses you need you should get hold of the kit lens. It is not the word's best lens but it can often come in handy for various things. Walking around, close distances, to determine what focal lengths you are most interested in and so on.
Winter Morning Eyes
In the little album above there is a portrait taken with the kit lens. It can do pretty good.
Then, when you know what focal lengths you are interested in you can go try find those good and more expensive lenses.
If you are in a hurry, buy the camera without lens and check eBay and the Buy and Sell forum at this forum and find a kit lens. While waiting for the kit lens you can try to get hold of just about any cheapo k-mount lens to learn the camera.
Another option is to get the camera only and buy a prime lens that you know you will want to have (the FA35/2.0 or the FA50/1.4 come into mind here). Or... Now I realize I don't totally understand your question. Sorry.

good luck anyway!

Last edited by Jonas B; 02-24-2007 at 07:39 PM.
02-24-2007, 07:30 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Unless you know you don't want it I'd say get the kit lens. It's not a bad lens, and as part of the kit, has great 'bang for the buck'. Adorama, a thoroughly reputable store has the K100D w/kit lens in stock.

NaCl(good store and prices pretty comparable B&H as they are direct competitors)H2O

02-24-2007, 07:51 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
How adventures are you?

You could buy a manual focus 50mm f 1.7 from KEH for about $62. This would cost you less money than the kit and give you a good lens to experiment with.

regards,
02-24-2007, 07:52 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Pick a big zoom lens if you don't know what you want with lenses. After using a general bargain big zoom for some time, you will know what you want with lenses for sure!

Sometimes it is easier to be an enthuastist as one can take any photo he or she likes with no pressure to sell photos. Do it your way and pick what you want to do any time you like.

James
02-25-2007, 03:21 AM   #7

Original Poster
man I really love this place

thanks for all your help guys!
The assistance I'm getting here on the forums is a BIG help

Now the thought of getting a k10d with kit lens or a k100d with kit and another set of lens has entered my mind (I've saved up and acquired more money than before, so my budget has changed now).

I hope this isn't a vicious cycle - I'll end up never getting a camera!
02-25-2007, 03:24 AM   #8

Original Poster
epiphany?

maybe I'll try looking into a canon or something like the nikon d40 or d50.

nahhhhhhhh I'm just kiddin'

02-25-2007, 04:41 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by USCdeacon Quote
maybe I'll try looking into a canon or something like the nikon d40 or d50.

nahhhhhhhh I'm just kiddin'
You could be kidding with your life saying that in this forum ...
02-25-2007, 03:00 PM   #10
Site Supporter

[QUOTE=USCdeacon;30730]Would any of you recommend purchasing the K100d body by itself and getting another lens for a few more "Benjamins" or start off with the standard 18-55mm Kit Lens?

[QUOTE]

That's what I did. Got the body and 10-17mm at the same time from Beach, the 18-50 from Sigma4less and the 70-300 from (I think Adorama) over the same weekend. The 50-200 came later, as a result of wanting better image quality than the 70-300 provides.
02-25-2007, 03:30 PM   #11
Veteran Member

[quote=USCdeacon;30730]Would any of you recommend purchasing the K100d body by itself and getting another lens for a few more "Benjamins" or start off with the standard 18-55mm Kit Lens?

[quote]

If I had it to do over now, I'd get the camera body without the kit lens. If your budget is VERY tight and you really can't afford to do anything more than buy the camera + kit lens, then by all means, go for it and don't feel bad. For the money, the kit lens is the best value you'll ever get in a new lens. But if you do have a little extra room for lenses after buying the camera body - and I hope that you do - then you can certainly do better. I have two both the Pentax 16-45 and the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 lenses, and with those two to choose between, I will never use the kit lens.

Will