07-29-2018, 05:21 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter

You can never have too many lenses.

07-29-2018, 07:34 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
You can never have too many lenses.
So true. They do start to get expensive after a while... Only downside.
09-15-2018, 10:10 AM - 2 Likes   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sorry for bringing this back from the dead... However I have made up my mind...

I am going with the K1-II kitted with a DFA 28-105 and am adding a battery grip along with the inexpensive AF201FG flash so I have a bounce flash. As currently I only have the AF200FG.

I am done sitting on the fence about the next crop flagship. My KP is an awesome crop camera and will last a long time as will my K3-II. Each have under 10K shutter releases. I will have four great full frame lenses plus all my excellent Limited crop kit - along with a few more.

Full frame here I come!
09-15-2018, 10:59 AM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congratulations on the move to FF.
Enjoy it.

Clarence

09-15-2018, 11:12 AM   #35
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gm4life Quote

I am going with the K1-II kitted with a DFA 28-105 and am adding a battery grip along with the inexpensive AF201FG flash so I have a bounce flash. As currently I only have the AF200FG.

I am done sitting on the fence about the next crop flagship. My KP is an awesome crop camera and will last a long time as will my K3-II. Each have under 10K shutter releases. I will have four great full frame lenses plus all my excellent Limited crop kit - along with a few more.

Full frame here I come!

That's exciting!

The resolution difference with the 36MP FF is nothing short of stellar. The DFA*50 is going to sing on it too.

That 28-105 is pretty nice from 28 to around 70ish mm then it gets softish (at least ime wasn't terrible just noticeable to me), but it pairs nicely with the K-1 imo.

Your hard drive will fill a lot faster though due to the larger filesize, so maybe ponder a hard drive upgrade at some point, unless you are careful with culling (or already have tons of space). And the K-1 is a bigger, heavier camera from what you're familiar with through your crop bodies and lenses.. just be prepared.

Next is lenses... Once you see what one can do on it, you'll want to try others...
09-15-2018, 02:07 PM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

Full frame here I come!
I think you'll really like it. The DFA 28-105 is a very nice walk around and clearly the DFA *50 is something special. You may not be able to get the 50 off to try the 28-105 on!
09-15-2018, 06:59 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
That's exciting!

The resolution difference with the 36MP FF is nothing short of stellar. The DFA*50 is going to sing on it too.

That 28-105 is pretty nice from 28 to around 70ish mm then it gets softish (at least ime wasn't terrible just noticeable to me), but it pairs nicely with the K-1 imo.

Your hard drive will fill a lot faster though due to the larger filesize, so maybe ponder a hard drive upgrade at some point, unless you are careful with culling (or already have tons of space). And the K-1 is a bigger, heavier camera from what you're familiar with through your crop bodies and lenses.. just be prepared.

Next is lenses... Once you see what one can do on it, you'll want to try others...

Funny you mention hard drive space. I have a networked 4TB setup with RAID so no worries, well at least not yet. However a next year project is going to 8TB running RAID.

However, I am not good at combing through images and will commonly shoot 500 frames a day when traveling. I ordered two 64 gig cards to get me started. I am very much so looking forward to this addition to my kit.

---------- Post added 09-15-18 at 07:00 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think you'll really like it. The DFA 28-105 is a very nice walk around and clearly the DFA *50 is something special. You may not be able to get the 50 off to try the 28-105 on!
I am kind of fearful of that actually.

Last edited by gm4life; 09-16-2018 at 06:51 AM.
09-15-2018, 08:36 PM   #38
Veteran Member

And I thought this hobby would be easier on the billfold!
If it's any consolation, it is probably easier on the billfold than many other hobbies. Yachting, horse riding, motor-biking, car collecting and numerous other notorious money drains spring to mind.
09-16-2018, 06:43 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
If it's any consolation, it is probably easier on the billfold than many other hobbies. Yachting, horse riding, motor-biking, car collecting and numerous other notorious money drains spring to mind.
Very true... I would love to collect old cars however the budget and storage would be a major issue. Heck for what I have invested in camera gear would only be one world class paint job on a classic automobile.
09-16-2018, 07:11 AM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Once you get your camera a realize how great cropped images still look, APSc may become a non event. A second set of memory cards might be a good idea too. Maybe 128gb,

FWIW, when I travel, I sneaker net the images onto my laptop and then dupe them onto an external hard drive each evening. If I fill up the cards, I can safely format them knowing that I have two copies of the images. With the current cost of memory cards, owning several is not an issue.
09-16-2018, 07:30 AM - 1 Like   #41
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Now I am thinking about full frame...
Just go it and enjoy, feed both your GAS/LBA mistresses.
09-16-2018, 05:22 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Just go it and enjoy, feed both your GAS/LBA mistresses.
Trust me she is well fed. Very well fed indeed.
09-18-2018, 05:59 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Once you get your camera a realize how great cropped images still look, APSc may become a non event. A second set of memory cards might be a good idea too. Maybe 128gb,

FWIW, when I travel, I sneaker net the images onto my laptop and then dupe them onto an external hard drive each evening. If I fill up the cards, I can safely format them knowing that I have two copies of the images. With the current cost of memory cards, owning several is not an issue.
Great idea. I went with 64gb for the K1 II as the 32gb cards are what I use on my K3 II and KP.
09-19-2018, 09:27 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So the K1-II came in and it is a very nice camera... It does feel even without the battery grip absolutely massive with the DFA 50 on it. However it will be an awesome pairing and will enjoy the well balanced DFA 28-105 as well.
12-27-2018, 01:05 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So after a few months of shooting I have decided two things... The K1-II is an awesome camera... It takes images even when pared with the humble 28-105 that nearly have a 3D quality to them. The DFA 50 if I am careful with my focus at F stops under 2.8 really shine on it. The FOV takes me back to my learning days on a Pentax Program Plus and a 50mm. The 50 in front of the K1-II has helped me take awesome portraits, some nice landscapes and other low light photos. In fact for weeks on end it has sat on the front while the 28-105 is in the camera bag. It is that good of a lens, I am praying that when the DFA 85 comes out they announce a nice wider angle * series DFA prime. I also recently acquired the 12mm Rokinon and it is a honey on FF as well. I stopped short of the 15-30 due to price and size.