Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
07-29-2018, 02:41 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
@ times TN is inaccurate....so his description of the K-1 as 'the best landscape FF Dslr" should be ignored then,what would he know?
I would say that I wouldn't value his opinion a whole lot either way. I happen to agree with him that the K-1 is a great landscape SLR, but I also believe that Tony shoots from the hip a lot and is happy to share his opinions, even when he doesn't have a whole lot of information to back them up. There are better places to get information than Mr. Northup, at least when it comes to Pentax.

07-29-2018, 02:46 AM - 2 Likes   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Very sympathetic treatment from a couple of non-Pentax users, I thought.

I wonder if the 'Bill' who provides them with info and test equipment is a forum member?

I did laugh at the suggestion that Drew Barrymore is a forum member who loathes the couple.
07-29-2018, 03:29 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I would say that I wouldn't value his opinion a whole lot either way.
Yes, its just one persons opinion.However,they are doing something right.He and Chelsea have just cracked 1 million YouTube subscribers,so some people are enthusiastic about what they do.

They are in the entertainment business,so when its showtime they deliver.As I said he can be inaccurate(he still refers to the DFA walkaround as the 28-135) and thinks said lens is mediocre(hes wrong/inaccurate whatever).

Someone said on another thread that T&C have given Pentax more publicity, in this little podcast ,than RI have "done in the last few years".That cant be a bad thing!

---------- Post added 07-29-18 at 09:32 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Very sympathetic treatment from a couple of non-Pentax users, I thought.
Yes, i think so too.They made an effort....BUT,they forgot the Q...i suppose they asked RI about it,who said "forget it,we have"!

---------- Post added 07-29-18 at 09:36 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I did laugh
07-29-2018, 03:36 AM - 1 Like   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CPLTarun Quote
They haven't made a video on the Pentax KP yet have they?
Tony needs a KP!!!!

07-29-2018, 03:47 AM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not much abut the LX
07-29-2018, 04:15 AM   #21
Pentaxian

I'm not fanboy. I'm a late comer to Pentax and I chose Pentax because it fits my needs. I really don't take these guys seriously. Their videos are just pure entertainment to me.

Last edited by totsmuyco; 07-30-2018 at 06:04 AM.
07-29-2018, 04:24 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by erikro Quote
Not much abut the LX
Pictures were shown, without mentioning the most advanced, comprehensive, professional 35mm camera body on the market at the time.

07-29-2018, 04:28 AM   #23
Veteran Member

I don't know what to think about Tony. Sometimes he seems nice and trying to convey useful knowledge. However, some of the things he said in his videos don't make sense.

There are quite a few youtubers and bloggers that are enthusiastic about Pentax and each one of them has their gripes with the whole system, same as Tony.

There was this other guy, Photouniverse I think, and I loved watching his videos. It's all rant but kind of passionate and interesting to listen. I feel people focus too much on gear.
07-29-2018, 08:38 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I thought it was a generally interesting video. He makes errors from time to time, but I don’t believe he intentionally bashes Pentax or any other company and at least he has tried most of the cameras out there and doesn’t dismiss things he doesn’t have any idea about (from what I’ve seen).

Ergonomic preferences vary from user to user and a lot of people call the a7 ergonomics “clunky” but I find them ok. I also find the K3 ii ergonomics to be the best of any DSLR I’ve used, but other people can hate them and I would be ok with it.
07-29-2018, 08:39 AM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
but I also believe that Tony shoots from the hip a lot and is happy to share his opinions, even when he doesn't have a whole lot of information to back them up.
That is a pretty good assessment of this video. I have a friend, an artist/potter/sculptor, who is much the same way. She will learn
a completely new technique one weekend, then brazenly offer a workshop on the subject the next weekend. As a result, many of
her workshops, while energetic and well intentioned, are nonetheless poorly organized and lacking in critical, necessary details.
That's not to say she does not have talent or skill. She is quite masterful within some areas. But she has absolutely no shame
in presenting herself as an authority on subjects she knows little about. It would seem Tony Northrup is cut from the same cloth.
08-14-2018, 11:43 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Having gone through his D850 tutorial video, I havn't found anything fundamentally better on the D850. D850 has focus shift, Pentax K1 has pixel shift, as for the other camera features, the K1 has about the same features as the D850. Snapbridge is about as bad as Pentax Image Sync. Pentax K1 is a clunky camera, like the D850 is. Everyone's (T&S, DPR etc) bragging in about 4K and 8K but they all display their talk in FHD or lower resolution simply because storage and steaming bandwidth is limiting. To me it looks like we should not expect DSLR to be anything else than good at taking photographs.