Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
07-28-2018, 04:06 PM - 1 Like   #1

Northrup’s video about the history of Pentax

It’s great that they made the video but out of interest and for the sake of clarity, can you list Tony’s/Chelsea’s most significant inaccuracies/omissions on their latest video about Pentax’s history?

Link to video:

Here are some of my observations:
1- They orverlook the Q-system - apparently the k-01 is the only Pentax mirrorless interchangeable-lens camera...
2- They describe the k1 as “clunky”
3- They overlook Digital APS-C models (and lenses!!), especially the ones from the last 5-10 years.
4- They don’t seem to know that in the Pentax world, * stands for “star”

07-28-2018, 04:15 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
we should all email them and tell them of their blatant inaccuracies, their inbox will be jammed
07-28-2018, 04:18 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There's another thread on this elsewhere where I listed those I found.
07-28-2018, 04:21 PM - 1 Like   #4
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
He just made a couple mistakes. It's not like Ricoh is excellent at informing people of what they offer! Tony was actually a reason I got into Pentax.. I watched this video like a million times:

07-28-2018, 04:26 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by EssJayEff Quote
There's another thread on this elsewhere where I listed those I found.
And this post too: History of Pentax: The Beatles, Tragedy, WW2 (Picture This! Podcast) - PentaxForums.com In my comment I noted some notable errors and omissions as well.
07-28-2018, 04:54 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

And the obligatory Pentax Is DoomedTM at the end....

He also describes the 645D as clunky, and using the 6x7 mount.
07-28-2018, 05:01 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tigs Quote
2- They describe the k1 as “clunky”
In all fairness, this is not really an inaccuracy as much as an opinion. Nonetheless, one can only wonder
what sort of alien hands and/or perverse motor-neuron programming one has to describe modern Pentax
ergonomics as clunky.

07-28-2018, 05:23 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Pentaxian

I learned a long time ago to ignore threads with the words "Tony" and "Northrup" in the title.
07-28-2018, 05:25 PM   #9
Closed Account

Actually, we should ignore this video and let it die a natural death. Besides the incorrect technical stuff covered the quality of the english used is a disgrace to spoken American, and not being able to pronounce ASAHI correctly requires going back to school.
07-28-2018, 05:39 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The early part of the video was interesting, but the later stuff, including indicating that Pentax didn't design any of the FF lenses that came out around the time of the K-1 (the DFAs 28-105, 70-200 and 150-450 were in fact Pentax/Ricoh designs), is completely ignorant. Being more recent history, they should at least get that right. Arrogance combined with ignorance (or deceit?) doesn't fly very well.
Daryl
07-28-2018, 08:02 PM   #11

They haven't made a video on the Pentax KP yet have they?
07-28-2018, 08:53 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
Nonetheless, one can only wonder
what sort of alien hands and/or perverse motor-neuron programming one has to describe modern Pentax
ergonomics as clunky.
That can be anyone who is not use to handling a pentax camera, I know when I don't use a pentax body for sometime and when I get back to using a pentax body I find it clunky and awkward to use.

A lot of time someone say they like how a camera feels and how user-friendly the camera is to use its basically come down to how often one uses and familiar they are with the camera.
07-28-2018, 10:24 PM   #13
Pentaxian

@ times TN is inaccurate....so his description of the K-1 as 'the best landscape FF Dslr" should be ignored then,what would he know?
07-29-2018, 02:00 AM - 1 Like   #14

I have yet to watch the video, but some days ago Tony launched a thread on Twitter asking for info, tips and stories about Pentax, for a history podcast episode, commenting how difficult digging information up was being when compared to the other fotography companies.

Any innacuracies are surely due to us drinking from different sources, and omissions are no doubtedly due to not knowing and not malice. I usually enjoy the "Picture this!" podcast, it's lighthearted and good fun and I would never say Tony is biased against Pentax, his opinions are simply more aligned to market, where share and desirability go usually hand to hand. I feel he always tries to be fair to the best of his knowledge, and he is human, so he fails sometimes, with all things, like we do.

I'll look for a Wi-Fi to download that episode and listen to it calmly.

07-29-2018, 02:34 AM - 1 Like   #15

I generally liked their videos about manufacturers' history. Now I'm dreading watching this one in case it turns out to be crappy...