Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
07-28-2018, 06:13 PM - 1 Like   #1

What was your worst damage to your Pentax?

My worst was I left my camera case open with camera and lens present and accidentally locked the cat in the same room. Well the camera case turned into a litter box and my girl friend found the can and closed my box without checking. Box stayed closed for 2 weeks and the cat pee decentigrated much of the components of my K-5 body and 55-200mm lens. Ruined... I still have my isD.

07-28-2018, 06:20 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I dropped my new K3 and DA*300 lens. Broke something on both of them.
07-28-2018, 06:26 PM - 2 Likes   #3
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MoKnows Quote
My worst was I left my camera case open with camera and lens present and accidentally locked the cat in the same room. Well the camera case turned into a litter box and my girl friend found the can and closed my box without checking. Box stayed closed for 2 weeks and the cat pee decentigrated much of the components of my K-5 body and 55-200mm lens. Ruined... I still have my isD.

wow

I can't imagine why/how having the camera out of my hands for that long...
07-28-2018, 06:29 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Went from a very cold rainy to very warm dry environment with my DA* 60-250. Had to put it in a container with rice overnight to dry it out. Had a canary when I saw the fog inside the lens!

07-28-2018, 06:38 PM   #5
Veteran Member

My beloved FA20 broken with no reason. It looks like small gears inside Miss placed. Pentax square in Shinjuku can't fix it too. That was devastated because i like that lens a lot. And it is not an easy to find lens.
A few months later, I droped my K5, exterior looks fine but sensor was totally destroyed by the impact.
07-28-2018, 06:39 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

dropped my K-30 off the tripod extended to around 5 feet. To a wooden floor. Lens survived body and lens hood not.
07-28-2018, 06:40 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Mine would be a Triple.....K1000 left on car roof and later found in pieces from being run over by oil field trucks....DONE !
K-S2 dropped in lake and took me 3 hours to get it out.....DONE !
K-30 left out in freezing rain overnight (I put this poor camera through Living Hell)...….Perfectly OK …...for a week anyway......then suddenly developed the dreaded Aperture Block failure and died quickly with various glitches at 50K....DONE !
And these are the "Memorable" ones......lol.

07-28-2018, 06:41 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've yet to severely damage any of my Pentax gear. Instead I sacrifice myself, an example being my slipping on a rock in a steam in Maui. Neither camera nor lens made contact with rock or water, but my ass certainly did!
07-28-2018, 06:49 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MoKnows Quote
Eeeewwwww…….
I vote YOU get the "Nasty Camera Award".....lol
07-28-2018, 07:01 PM   #10

Photos: Albums
Drop my k-1 on a shore with rock

Was crossing a pass on the sea shore. Fall when I was on rock.
K-1 with DFA 28-105mm fall on rock and salt water.
Only the GPS cover was broken. I could finish the trip.
07-28-2018, 07:38 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I put my k-3 with FA 35 f2 in a camera belt pouch. Set this package on my keyboard tray. Watched in horror as the zipped up case ROLLED over and fell the short distance to the wooden floor. Lens took the blow. It was cockeyed. Had it repaired but lost Autofocus and auto aperture. Camera was perfect.
07-28-2018, 11:10 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I was actually very lucky while using Pentax cameras, no serious damage.
Recently I pushed Mafrotto tripod with K-1 + DA* 200, both lended on the carpet, lens first.
Camera and lens fine but the hood not.
Just ordered replacement from Japan @ AU$70.
Always have a hood on your lens!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX MX-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
07-28-2018, 11:23 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Dropped my K20d from over my head as it fell off of a tripod onto a ceramic floor.

Blew my sigma 105 macro apart, nocked out the focus screen and shims from the K20d onto the floor. Put back together the k20d and had to re shim the catzeye focus screen for whatever miss alignment I caused and never was able to correct AF for what ever I did to the body.

Now it was debatable if I had made sure the quick release was checked before I swung the tripod over my shoulder as the K5 was just released the week before, my subconscious my have played a role in the accident

I was kind of pissed as the sigma macro was not very old but then again I picked up a DFA 100 2.8 that was now available and again maybe my subconscious new this also
07-28-2018, 11:29 PM   #14
Pentaxian

I took an MZ-5N apart to try to fix it (suspected mirror gear failure) but couldn't put it back together again.

Other than that, I've been very careful or very fortunate. My K3 did tip over on a tripod in high winds last year but only suffered mild cosmetic damage to the camera and DA 21mm. Since then I have modified my tripod to add a hook for extra weight. I suspect a larger and/or heavier lens would have suffered much worse damage.
07-29-2018, 02:17 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Knock on wood: not a major scratch in almost 9 years of shooting Pentax.

Once, being a little late to my sister-in-law's wedding, my wife slipped in her dress shoes on some slippery stones and saved my Tamrac Expedition photo backpack that she happened to carry (because I was carrying bulkier stuff) by tossing it into a bush rather than letting it just drop on the stones.

Wife sustained a considerable bruise, poor heroic girl, but photo gear survived without any perceivable damage whatsoever - phew. Checked first on the wife, then on the K-7, BTW.

Last edited by Madaboutpix; 07-29-2018 at 02:37 AM.