Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-29-2018, 11:30 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Shutter Count and K-1 Upgrade

Hi Y'All,

I was on the phone with Pentax Australia today, discussing the possibility of doing the K-1>K1ii upgrade (just asking specific questions pertaining to it, such as does it extend warranty post op, and yes it does.. probably...).
Anyway, one of the things I forgot to ask was about shutter count, and if the upgrade affects it in anyway. What I mean to say is, I have no idea about the shutter count thing at all, but I gather that a lower count indicates a lesser used (camera) one than a higher count one, but does a high count one also mean that it's nearing its DEATH DATE!?!

Changing the chip I'm imagining does nothing for the shutter count, it's a mechanical thing right? However getting the upgrade extends the warranty, so that might be a wise idea for a high shutter count user? (ie I spam a lot!)

Or does shutter count not matter that much i.e. far more likely you'll buy a new camera before it dies, ie upgrade within 5-7yrs of original purchase date, camera is still good for many years to come..?

Or, can the part responsible for the shutter operation be replaced? Or is it megabucks and might as well buy a new camera.

Eh.. I dunno, I just know what my bank balance says and it says I won't every be able to afford a new K-1 (or successor, K-2 etc) for a good 3-5yrs, so I am wanting to kinda protect my investment as much as possible, kinda like getting a car serviced regularly...

Bruce

07-29-2018, 11:43 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
for the K1 first edition, it had around 300.000 shutter life

Pentax K-1 Expert Review

so dont worry that it will be run out before 5 years
07-30-2018, 01:40 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Hi Y'All,

I was on the phone with Pentax Australia today, discussing the possibility of doing the K-1>K1ii upgrade (just asking specific questions pertaining to it, such as does it extend warranty post op, and yes it does.. probably...).
Anyway, one of the things I forgot to ask was about shutter count, and if the upgrade affects it in anyway. What I mean to say is, I have no idea about the shutter count thing at all, but I gather that a lower count indicates a lesser used (camera) one than a higher count one, but does a high count one also mean that it's nearing its DEATH DATE!?!

Changing the chip I'm imagining does nothing for the shutter count, it's a mechanical thing right? However getting the upgrade extends the warranty, so that might be a wise idea for a high shutter count user? (ie I spam a lot!)
My upgrade from K-1 to K-1ii reset the shutter count.
07-30-2018, 02:47 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Barry Pearson Quote
My upgrade from K-1 to K-1ii reset the shutter count.
:O, another reason to perhaps trade up, attractive after sales perspective!

07-30-2018, 11:43 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Though you can tell that it is an upgraded K-1, so the buyer could be suspicious of that.
07-30-2018, 01:53 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
Though you can tell that it is an upgraded K-1, so the buyer could be suspicious of that.
Out of curiosity, how can you actually tell? Not that I would be deceptive with a sale, but the K-1 upgrade comes back looking like a K-1ii, the branding is there even, and now if the shutter count is reset... that makes it really hard to tell a brand new K-1ii vs an upgrade path, no?
07-30-2018, 02:12 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
that makes it really hard to tell a brand new K-1ii vs an upgrade path, no?
You can tell a genuine Mark ii by the box it comes in!

07-30-2018, 02:14 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
You can tell a genuine Mark ii by the box it comes in!
Trudat, what if you say "oh.. lost the box and manual!" >

Basically if someone said that then it's a upgraded K-1 lol

---------- Post added 07-31-18 at 07:15 AM ----------

Or what if the owner had two K-1ii's one OG and one upgraded, then how would you tell, could still be giving away the upgraded one! Hmm... Pentax should maybe keep a record of the serial numbers of the upgraded ones for the consumer or something...
07-30-2018, 10:18 PM   #9
Pentaxian

On a new K-1 II, it says "K-1 II" on the front left under the mode dial. On an upgraded K-1, it still says K-1 there, and the "SR" badge near the bottom of the lens mount is replaced to say "II".
07-31-2018, 12:57 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
On a new K-1 II, it says "K-1 II" on the front left under the mode dial. On an upgraded K-1, it still says K-1 there, and the "SR" badge near the bottom of the lens mount is replaced to say "II".
Ah is that right? I was absolutely sure that the actual engraving changed when doing the upgrade, so that it did say K-1 II in place of where it currently says K-1...

Be nice to see some pics from people getting the upgrades done from around the world, I wonder if some are getting done differently than others. I was actually under the impression that the cameras got shipped to Japan for the treatment, irrespective of host country, but calling Pentax Australia this week sounds like that isn't the case, the tech guy I spoke to said he was 'waiting on parts' to arrive to do the job, so sending it in now was not worth it as he can't begin the op.
If that's how Pentax is managing this thing, perhaps different countries are approaching the branding differently. It could be they've changed their mind but on the initial press release thing I was certain to read about the engraving changing, I recall being quite 'stunned' at that point.
07-31-2018, 09:01 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

The process is described here, if you scroll down you they show and describe the badge change.

PENTAX K-1 Upgrade Service - RICOH IMAGING EUROPE S.A.S

The actual procedure is illustrated here:

https://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/review/special/1120330.html
08-01-2018, 12:56 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The process is described here, if you scroll down you they show and describe the badge change.

PENTAX K-1 Upgrade Service - RICOH IMAGING EUROPE S.A.S

The actual procedure is illustrated here:

??????PENTAX K-1????????????????????? - ???? Watch
Excellent, so there does seem an obvious way to tell the two apart, nice to know.