Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2008, 03:36 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Eneloops eneloops eneloops eneloops.

I'm using plain-old Sanyo 2700 mAh and I need to recharge them only every month-or-so. Works for me!

09-17-2008, 04:50 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
He he. There is indeed a memory card in the camera. And the battery contacts are clean. Really, I did try to eliminate all stupid user errors... I've had two weeks on this. nonetheless, thanks for taking the time to make suggestions.
09-18-2008, 04:25 AM   #18
Inactive Account

I have had one similar experience with my K200D. Brand new GP NiMH rechargeable battery set inserted in camera fully loaded and K200D reported empty batteries but ran happily for like 2 hours. Switching the camera off and then on gave full battery indicator. Some kind of temporal fail I guess. Well good thing it hasn't happened since.
09-18-2008, 11:15 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
My K100DS simply doesn't work with alkaline batteries, or with normal NiMH batteries. I changed to Rayovac Hybrids in all three of my AA type cameras and never again had a problem.

Last edited by audiobomber; 09-18-2008 at 12:19 PM.
09-18-2008, 11:57 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Got the Eneloops today and they seem to power the camera fine, though it hasn't been on too much due to the yucky weather. This seems to indicate that a) the camera is OK and b) two previous battery sets failed simultaneously so badly that the Rolls Royce of chargers could not fix them. Odd coincidence that.
09-18-2008, 05:01 PM   #21

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Got the Eneloops today and they seem to power the camera fine, though it hasn't been on too much due to the yucky weather. This seems to indicate that a) the camera is OK and b) two previous battery sets failed simultaneously so badly that the Rolls Royce of chargers could not fix them. Odd coincidence that.
That is great news
09-18-2008, 05:23 PM   #22
Site Supporter

If your K100D Super is like the original K100D there are a gazillion messages on this forum about their batteries. One rather comprehensive message describes testing that shows a K100D will drop out at battery voltages that are high enough for most other cameras. Thus, Alkaline and NiMh batteries that still have enough life to power a P&S will appear dead in a K100D. Don't be distracted by mAh ratings of rechargeable batteries, they are rated under conditions far from what a K100D requires.

My K100D will run awhile on Alkalines, I use them in a pinch. I struggled with NiMh for many months, sometimes getting a hundred or more shots, sometimes the camera would not come on right after the batteries came out of the charger. I bought Sanyo Eneloops and have been happy ever since. I finally recycled my large collection of NiMh cells.

I paid $19.33 US for four 2000mAh cells and a charger at Amazon.
09-18-2008, 09:01 PM   #23

Two weeks ago something strange happened to my camera. I'd put a newly charged battery set in and it would read no charge, or, it would read full charge but discharge almost immediately. I bought an MH-C9000 WizardOne at 80 euros (ouch!) and ran a set through the full discharge/recharge cycle. These still do not power the camera.

I think my body is dead, though I have no idea how this could have happened. I have no similar device to test the batteries in, but surely they'd be ok after the super-duper reconditioner was through with them. (They are about 6 months old).

Anyone else have this experience or advice? I am sad being without my Pentax.

Start simple. If you have the plug in adapter, try it out and see if the camera works. If not, see if your local camera store has one that they will be willing to let you test your camera on. If the camera works, it's in the battery system. If not, more than likely a dead camera, or one with a short.

Randy.

09-19-2008, 03:16 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
How can one best use the MH-C9000 to determine if a battery is working to par? Though it claims to "test" batteries, there are no instructions that set out this info clearly.
09-19-2008, 03:35 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Turned on my camera this morning... batteries dead. These are the new Eneloops I used for about a dozen shots yesterday. I put them in the charger and they read 1.32V to 1.55V. I have them charging but do not expect the camera will like them for long even at full charge.

I am suspecting a short somewhere in the camera. Crap.
09-19-2008, 09:03 AM   #26
Veteran Member

rparmar,
It sounds as though, you have something that is drawing excessive current in the camera and draining the batteries. A short circuit or stalled focus motor maybe. Is it still under warranty? A trip to the repair shop sounds likely.

Dave

Turned on my camera this morning... batteries dead. These are the new Eneloops I used for about a dozen shots yesterday. I put them in the charger and they read 1.32V to 1.55V. I have them charging but do not expect the camera will like them for long even at full charge.

I am suspecting a short somewhere in the camera. Crap.
09-19-2008, 12:41 PM   #27

[QUOTE=rparmar;346437] I put them in the charger and they read 1.32V to 1.55V. [QUOTE]

Voltage reading does not look right. If 3 are fully charged and one is not, then the set as a whole will not work properly. Voltage difference of .23V between them is very large. Maybe one or more section is not working/under charging due to faulty voltage/current detector. My two sets of battery have the same voltage reading with a voltmeter after the charge (1.45v full chrg).