Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-31-2018, 06:51 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Two body upgrades in two weeks? Please tell me I'm full of GAS and need help!

SO... after years of non-Pentax cameras I bought a used K5 IIs last week, which I like and only start to re-learn using (I owned a K-m, K-r and K10d in the past).
I was looking for a decent walk-around WR zoom to use it in inclement conditions (I have no WR lens at the moment and this is my first Pentax WR body).
The problem is, I now got an offer to buy a used K3 with the DA16-85 WR, for what looks like a very good price to me. So should I go for that instead and get the K3 as a back cap for the lens? Sell the K5 IIS to help justify this purchase? Will I miss something from the K5 IIS after upgrading to a K3? (this is not a K3 II by the way).

07-31-2018, 07:24 AM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Luc More Quote
SO... after years of non-Pentax cameras I bought a used K5 IIs last week, which I like and only start to re-learn using (I owned a K-m, K-r and K10d in the past).
I was looking for a decent walk-around WR zoom to use it in inclement conditions (I have no WR lens at the moment and this is my first Pentax WR body).
The problem is, I now got an offer to buy a used K3 with the DA16-85 WR, for what looks like a very good price to me. So should I go for that instead and get the K3 as a back cap for the lens? Sell the K5 IIS to help justify this purchase? Will I miss something from the K5 IIS after upgrading to a K3? (this is not a K3 II by the way).
my decision would be based on something like this:

1 do you plan on going on any trips where a back up camera makes sense

2 do you like the options you get from the K 5 IIs vs. the K 3

Pentax K-5 IIs vs. Pentax K-3 - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

3 can you afford the fancy "back cap "

4 do you have to consider any one else in your decision making

5 you could always decide later to get rid of one of the camera bodies
07-31-2018, 08:56 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I'm still shooting a K-3, current shutter count 118,000, and the 16-85 is one of the most recent and modern Pentax lenses. But the K-3 doesn't have Pixel Shift. I had to wait for my K-1 for that. Personally, I would be looking at a K-70 or K-P because I like the tilt screen and flip out screen for macro, and hand held shots in crowds with the camera held over my head, another thing I had to wait for the K-1 to get.

FOr me those are two pretty important things.
Another thing you have in the K-1 that I use from time to time that isn't in the K-3 but is in the K-3ii is the built in GPS unit. And of course the K-3 has flash where the K-3ii's GPS unit sits.

Any of these features can be critical to what you're doing, personally, I like the option of having two different bodies with slightly different hardware. But those are the things to look at, built in GPS (and therefore astrotracer), tilting back screen, flash, pixel shift

IN the words of Ricoh themselves
QuoteQuote:
Differences in functions from those on the K-3 models are listed below.
• The addition of the Pixel Shift Resolution System, a new feature created by utilizing the SR (Shake Reduction) mechanism
• Upgraded SR mechanism performance, for effective camera shake compensation of up to 4.5 shutter steps
• The incorporation of a GPS module and an electronic compass to log GPS data and use the ASTROTRACER function without the need for an additional GPS unit
• Faster, more responsive phase-matching AF system, supported by the optimized algorithm
• The addition of diffraction compensation to the list of compensation parameters
• The removal of a built-in flash unit
From the Ricoh website.
08-02-2018, 05:54 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks everybody for your replies. I'll buy the damn kit and decide later if I keep or sell one of the bodies. I have other cameras so the backup body is not really a requirement for me. I could have another camera brand full bag in the car for when something bad happens. But it'll be fun playing with both for a little while at least.

08-02-2018, 06:03 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Re. whether to keep the K-5iis or K-3. Both are very good cameras. K-3 is better for action and wildlife because improved autofocus, higher resolution. K-5 series is better in low light because images are less noisy.
08-07-2018, 06:50 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
I now have the K3 and 16-85... Nice camera, nice lens. I think the K5IIS will go, and the Tammy 18-200 is kind of redundant too since I have the DA 55-300 (not the WR though). That will help to bring the bank account balance to a more reasonable level. Maybe the K5 IIs has better low-light ISO but according to reviews I've seen it's very little apparently. I'll check that now that I have both on hand.
08-08-2018, 04:09 AM   #7
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

will your other choices for a " back up " camera work with Pentax lenses

if not I would keep your K 5 IIs as your back up and sell the other (s)

you will want to be using the Pentax lenses you acquire in the future

you can use vintage Pentax lenses which you can obtain for good prices

08-09-2018, 03:39 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Buying bodies is so last decade. Lenses are where it’s at.
08-10-2018, 05:41 AM   #9
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

especially with the chance to win a K 1 or K 1 II this month:

The community must reach 45,000 posts each month

At that point, 3 threads will be created 8 hours apart, and the first 80 posters in each will get a raffle entry

Automatic raffle entry if you have 180+ posts

Raffle participants must have at least 10 forum posts in the month of the raffle

The winner is drawn at random, and we will ship a K-1 to the winner

If the community reaches 51,000 posts by the end of the month, the prize gets upgraded to a K I II

Read more at: Pentax K-1 Triple Giveaway: Summer 2018 - Giveaways and Events | PentaxForums.com

https://www.pentaxforums.com/articles/events/pentax-k-1-triple-giveaway-summer-2018.html

give it a shot folks, it cost you nothing to try
08-14-2018, 03:20 PM - 1 Like   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
K-3 in the Swiss Alps at about 2200m altitude

08-14-2018, 03:22 PM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Buying bodies is so last decade. Lenses are where it’s at.
...exactly, that's why I want to sell one of the cameras. Maybe the K-3 will go, the K5 IIs is good enough for me.

08-17-2018, 05:38 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lookmore Quote
K-3 in the Swiss Alps at about 2200m altitude
Lol, with an Olympus strap! What about the vintage Pentax ones with the pocket for the eyecup cover? I love those.

08-21-2018, 11:29 PM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by torashi Quote
Lol, with an Olympus strap! What about the vintage Pentax ones with the pocket for the eyecup cover? I love those.
I don't have these ones. Are they from film cameras period?

---------- Post added 08-22-18 at 06:59 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Re. whether to keep the K-5iis or K-3. Both are very good cameras. K-3 is better for action and wildlife because improved autofocus, higher resolution. K-5 series is better in low light because images are less noisy.
Good points. How about ergonomics?

Both the K3 and K5iis are good and very close, but:
- I don't use the mode dial lock on the K3 so I prefer the metering mode lever at the same place on the K5. I think it would have been better to have a selector for single/burst/timer/bracketing/video instead of these other functions that I rarely use.
- I use back button focus but the AF button placement is different. On the K3 it sits under the thumb when holding the camera for a landscape shot which is very good. On the K5 I need to move the thumb slightly to reach it but it's not too bad. Also it's at the perfect place under my thumb when I carry the camera on a wrist strap between shots, ready to focus on the next shot.
- so on the K5 the ae-lock button is under the thumb while shooting. I like that too. Most humans have only one thumb on the right hand so camera designers have to make some choices I guess.
-l I prefer the 3 position AFS,AFC,MF lever on the K5 instead of the lever+button arrangement on the K3.
- I also prefer the focus point selection process on the K5.

So it looks like the K3 is better technically but I seem to prefer the K5 ergonomics overall.
08-22-2018, 09:25 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lookmore Quote
I don't have these ones. Are they from film cameras period?

---------- Post added 08-22-18 at 06:59 AM ----------

Good points. How about ergonomics?

Both the K3 and K5iis are good and very close, but:
- I don't use the mode dial lock on the K3 so I prefer the metering mode lever at the same place on the K5. I think it would have been better to have a selector for single/burst/timer/bracketing/video instead of these other functions that I rarely use.
- I use back button focus but the AF button placement is different. On the K3 it sits under the thumb when holding the camera for a landscape shot which is very good. On the K5 I need to move the thumb slightly to reach it but it's not too bad. Also it's at the perfect place under my thumb when I carry the camera on a wrist strap between shots, ready to focus on the next shot.
- so on the K5 the ae-lock button is under the thumb while shooting. I like that too. Most humans have only one thumb on the right hand so camera designers have to make some choices I guess.
-l I prefer the 3 position AFS,AFC,MF lever on the K5 instead of the lever+button arrangement on the K3.
- I also prefer the focus point selection process on the K5.

So it looks like the K3 is better technically but I seem to prefer the K5 ergonomics overall.
I agree. Ergonomics of the K-5 series is unmatched.

08-22-2018, 09:26 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Yeah, those straps are from the film years. There are a few different models, but they are superb. A quick fleabay search turns up a few of them.