Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-31-2018, 02:10 PM - 1 Like   #1

Photos: Albums
What's a decent budget DSLR for a newbie?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hello.

I'd like to get into some more serious digital photography (Serious in comparison to using my phone), and would like to get a Pentax camera.
I have a K1000 SE that I got with 5 lenses for $10 and have been enjoying it quite a bit. I'd like to be able to use these lenses instead of getting new ones.

All the lenses are manual. One has aperture priority, but the K1000 doesn't have the ability to use that feature.

Anywho, I'd be looking for a DSLR that would fit my lenses and allow me to take pictures in low-light conditions or of the stars (Something my phone can do, but is very poor at.)

I don't have a lot of money, so older, used cameras would probably be the realistic options. I've looked at the *ist D and K10D, which both look nice and can be found for alright prices (Especially the *ist D), although the K10D has weather sealing.

What do you guys think?

07-31-2018, 02:18 PM - 1 Like   #2
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

My *ist DS doesn't have in-body image stabilization (IBIS) and was one of the biggest thing I noticed when I went for a better body.
I'd definitely look into something that has IBIS and I believe the K10D has IBIS!

Live View is also a huge plus, but I think you'd have to go for a Pentax K20D or a Pentax K-7 for that!

Last edited by FozzFoster; 07-31-2018 at 02:26 PM.
07-31-2018, 02:23 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
My *ist DS doesn't have in-body image stabilization (IBIS) and was one of the biggest thing I noticed when I went for a better body.
I'd definitely look into something that has IBIS and I believe the K10D has IBIS!
Yeah, the *ist cameras don't have IBIS but the K10D does. The *ist cameras are definitely a lot cheaper, though.
Thanks for the input!
07-31-2018, 02:23 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Veteran Member

Anything from K100d and onward with SR should be good to have some fun with. Newer bodies have built in focus adjustment function for when using autofocus lenses.

07-31-2018, 02:23 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
What is the budget? You can find a K-5 for less than $300...
07-31-2018, 02:26 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ropuchy Quote
Hello.

I'd like to get into some more serious digital photography (Serious in comparison to using my phone), and would like to get a Pentax camera.
I have a K1000 SE that I got with 5 lenses for $10 and have been enjoying it quite a bit. I'd like to be able to use these lenses instead of getting new ones.

All the lenses are manual. One has aperture priority, but the K1000 doesn't have the ability to use that feature.

Anywho, I'd be looking for a DSLR that would fit my lenses and allow me to take pictures in low-light conditions or of the stars (Something my phone can do, but is very poor at.)

I don't have a lot of money, so older, used cameras would probably be the realistic options. I've looked at the *ist D and K10D, which both look nice and can be found for alright prices (Especially the *ist D), although the K10D has weather sealing.

What do you guys think?
Sounds like your budget is fairly low, but I'd recommend pushing it a bit to get something like the K-x, which has a good sensor and also live view.

IMHO the first-generation Pentax DSLRs are mostly a waste of time given recent advances in technology and how cheap newer ones have become.

Here's a K-x for just over $100, with a lens:

Pentax K K-x 12.4MP Digital SLR Camera - Black (Kit w/ DA L 18-55mm Lens) 27075159464 | eBay

The K10D has better build quality and weather sealing, but no live view and a worse sensor, which are definitely more important IMO if you plan to do astro.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-31-2018, 02:33 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Two thing you don't need to worry about from what you said. Low light and star shooting, you'll be using a tripod, so shake reduction doesn't help. If you are using old manual focus lenses only, weather resistance is probably not needed, because I don't think any of those old lenses had it, and it they did it may be sketchy by now.

07-31-2018, 02:39 PM   #8

Original Poster
Alright, thanks for all the info.

QuoteOriginally posted by LightBug Quote
Anything from K100d and onward with SR should be good to have some fun with. Newer bodies have built in focus adjustment function for when using autofocus lenses.
Good suggestion! I'll cross the *ist series off the list for the moment and look at the later models.

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
What is the budget? You can find a K-5 for less than $300...
My Budget would be less than $200, preferably near the $100 range.

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Sounds like your budget is fairly low, but I'd recommend pushing it a bit to get something like the K-x, which has a good sensor and also live view.

IMHO the first-generation Pentax DSLRs are mostly a waste of time given recent advances in technology and how cheap newer ones have become.

Here's a K-x for just over $100, with a lens:

Pentax K K-x 12.4MP Digital SLR Camera - Black (Kit w/ DA L 18-55mm Lens) 27075159464 | eBay

The K10D has better build quality and weather sealing, but no live view and a worse sensor, which are definitely more important IMO if you plan to do astro.
Ok, thanks for the info.

The K-x you linked looks pretty alright, but the seller says that the screen has been mildly damaged. Would this impact the live view feature at all, or would it be fine?

Last edited by MarkJerling; 07-31-2018 at 02:47 PM.
07-31-2018, 02:43 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Two thing you don't need to worry about from what you said. Low light and star shooting, you'll be using a tripod, so shake reduction doesn't help. If you are using old manual focus lenses only, weather resistance is probably not needed, because I don't think any of those old lenses had it, and it they did it may be sketchy by now.
Good point, although I'd like to be able to use the camera for than just low light and star shooting, it's just that those are what I currently can't do with my phone's digital camera.
Yeah, I doubt any of the lenses have weather resistance. Doesn't weather resistance also help to reduce the amount of dust and particulates that work their way into the camera?

Thank you for the info.
07-31-2018, 02:53 PM - 1 Like   #10
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

yes, you will be able to use your existing lenses

this info might be of use:

Pentax Lens Compatibility Chart
Copyright 2006-2016 Mosphotos.com. All rights reserved.

Pentax bayonet lenses labeled "SMC Pentax" are referred to as "K" lenses in the table below. Other Pentax bayonet lenses have the lens designation as a part of their name as in "SMC Pentax-FA."

Note that "star" lenses work like their "non-star" counterparts: DA* lenses work like DA lenses, FA* like FA, F* like F, A* like A, and M* like M.

The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart

Pentax K-Mount Lens Series Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series

In a nutshell

There are several series of Pentax K-mount lenses; the ones currently being produced include the DA (digital), DA L (cheap digital kit), D FA (full-frame, digital optimized), and FA (full-frame) series. While all Pentax K-mount lenses ever produced are compatible with all current Pentax DSLRs (in some cases with restrictions in that not all exposure modes of the camera are supported by old lenses), there are significant differences between each lens series and each has different features. Furthermore some of the newer lenses do not work with older cameras. We'll be exploring the differences between the various K-mount series lenses in this article . . .

Pentax K-Mount Lenses Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series

be sure to check out options for buying " experienced " equipment from the Market Place " buy/sell "

if you can fit one of the K 5 series into your budget it would be a great camera to start with

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-cameras-compared/?c1=Pentax+K-5&c...Pentax+K-5+IIs
07-31-2018, 02:54 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ropuchy Quote
Good point, although I'd like to be able to use the camera for than just low light and star shooting, it's just that those are what I currently can't do with my phone's digital camera.
Yeah, I doubt any of the lenses have weather resistance. Doesn't weather resistance also help to reduce the amount of dust and particulates that work their way into the camera?

Thank you for the info.
To an extent, but without a WR lens not as much. A damaged screen would affect live view. You may find a K-30 or K-50 that has the aperture problem. I may be mistaken but you can use manual lenses with them and they should be dirt cheap. If that is wrong hopefully someone will correct it.
07-31-2018, 03:05 PM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The K10d and K100D (and 110D and 100D super) and older cameras are CCD sensors. These will have a lot higher noise at high ISO than CMOS sensors. Also the newest sensors have the lowest noise at least to a degree. I see quite a few K-x models on ebay close to your price range.
07-31-2018, 03:14 PM - 1 Like   #13

For 200 usd, this K5 is a wonderful deal:

Pentax K-5, DA 40 Limited, DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135 - PentaxForums.com
07-31-2018, 03:39 PM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

I got my k10d in very nice shape for 120. If you're willing to accept scratch or two, unlikely to affect performance, they're around 100. I like it a lot and it's still perfectly capable of nice photos, but, its iso performance isn't that great, and its response to pushing in post lacks compared to newer sensors (not iso invariant)
07-31-2018, 03:46 PM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am going to throw out a different option,
Used Olympus EM10 mark 1, should be going now for around $200, get a $15 pk adapter from Ebay, have a modern setup with auto ISO, easier to focus due to zoom focus and focus peaking. In body IS 3 axis.
All these photos were on EM10, using adapters, more crop factor on Oly though, 50mm becomes 100mm, even on K10 it will still be around 70mm
https://www.flickr.com/photos/133712283@N03/albums/72157680442602493

Last edited by zippythezip; 07-31-2018 at 03:54 PM.