Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 146 Likes Search this Thread
08-01-2018, 04:07 AM - 1 Like   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The K10D is a great camera. It has a pentaprism viewfinder, which is great for manual focus. Low light performance is dismal by modern standards. On the other hand, that CCD sensor gives great colors in good light - some say nicer than the modern CMOS things. I had one and still miss it. For a slightly cheaper option, check out the K200D. Same sensor, but with a pentamirror viewfinder.

I have a K-x, bought cheaply from the classifieds. Manually focusing through the viewfinder is a hit and miss affair. The focus confirmation is at the bottom of the viewfinder. Unless you set the camera to use the center of the image for focusing, you have little or no idea which part of the image has been picked by the processor. No idea what the Pentax boffins were smoking when they dreamed this up. It was rectified in the K-r. Live view for manual focus works well, though.

A K5 would be a good choice, if you can find one that fits your budget. The K30 and K50 have a bit of a reputation for aperture block failures, not sure what percentage of them succumb to it.

The K-S1 is a later generation and a better choice. If you can live with the styling, it should serve you well. It has focus peaking, the last word in manual focus aids - just wonderful!

08-01-2018, 05:02 AM - 2 Likes   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
A tip for buying used:

Don't just look for the cheapest body-only or body-plus-kit-lens price. Look for sellers who are asking a slightly higher price but are bundling in things that you don't want like an extra lens or a flash. Estimate what you can reasonably get back if you sell the stuff that you don't want, and the difference is your real price for the bits that you do want. This often works out to be the cheapest way to get the camera you really want.
08-01-2018, 05:10 AM - 3 Likes   #48
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
A tip for buying used:

Don't just look for the cheapest body-only or body-plus-kit-lens price. Look for sellers who are asking a slightly higher price but are bundling in things that you don't want like an extra lens or a flash. Estimate what you can reasonably get back if you sell the stuff that you don't want, and the difference is your real price for the bits that you do want. This often works out to be the cheapest way to get the camera you really want.
but will you be able to sell " the stuff " you don't want ?

that question also needs to be considered when using the described practice

I have not bought a tremendous amount of " experienced " equipment from the Forum's Market Place " buy/sell "

but what I have bought has been very good

that is the first area I look

I also look at KEH.com because of their return policy - generally 14 days no questions asked

but that does raise their prices
08-01-2018, 05:39 AM - 1 Like   #49

With the exception of one e-bay purchase, I have put together two very nice systems in the last 18 months. If you are willing to take your time and wait for a nice camera to come along at the right price. I was able to get my son a K-50 with the blocked aperture problem for the cost of postage. They supposedly will work with older manual lenses, but I followed the directions else where on the forums on how to repair it. It is now fully functional and he never leaves home with out it (or some of my lenses). I have seen K-5 cameras go for $200 or less in the marketplace as well. I have purchased a number of other items from the market place and all have been as good or better then expected and everybody has been great to deal with. I would wait for a for a K-5 and save your pennies (better yet dollars) and see what shows up on the market place.

Another camera that flies under the radar is the K-500, basically a K-50 with fewer whistles and bells, such as weather proofing, but the same image quality.

Jim Fellows

08-01-2018, 05:40 AM - 1 Like   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A used K-5 would be fantastic. They're very durable, but still a precision device and inexpensive now. I still use mine as a second body, mounting the DA300 now in field work.
08-01-2018, 09:11 AM - 2 Likes   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
I would either go with the K10d or spend 200 and get the K-5. I would not recommend the K-x or K-r because their viewfinders are small and dark and you will be using manual focus lenses.

The K10d sensor isn't nearly as bad as some people would have you think. In fact it has a wonderful film like feel and I just love using mine despite having two newer bodies... Which I also like, don't get me wrong... But the K10d definitely has a special place in my heart! Keep it within ISO 100-800 like you probably do with film and you will like the results I think!
I agree with Christian here. In good light, the colors from the K10D are unsurpassed, IMO. It also has a pro-style body which can take a battery grip if you want. I've owned a K10D since 2012, and recently picked up another low mileage copy for $100 here on the PF Marketplace. The K20D and K-7 are a bit more modern with a few more features for a few more $$. If you can swing it, the K-5 offers a pretty substantial boost in performance and IQ. Good luck
08-01-2018, 09:43 AM - 2 Likes   #52
Pentaxian

I'm going with Adam on this one.I owned the *st D, K100D, K20D, K-x, K-5, K-3 and K-1. The K-x is perhaps my favourite up to the K-1. It was just fun. My daughter-in-law still uses mine.bUt only if you can get it for good price. If not, look for a used K-5.

There is still one K-x image in my photgalleriess, meaning I've never achieved abetter image with answer camera for this bird. The sensor is big enough for a 4k TV for excellent viewing. 12 MP is actually a very functional image size, although the K-5 and newer cameras provide more potential for cropping.

Still in the library after all these years. Taken with a K-x and DA*60-250. I still see picture taken with it a few times a year when my daughter-in-law sends us images she wants to share. Just don't overpay for is. We got ours for about $400 (CAD) new 6 years ago., $150 would be a lot.

Last edited by normhead; 08-01-2018 at 09:55 AM.
08-01-2018, 12:11 PM - 1 Like   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ropuchy Quote
Alright. Having headroom to grow into would be good!
I'll look into the K-5 a bit more.
The K-7 also has live view, but can be found a bit cheaper. What are your thoughts?

Thanks!
Actually, although the previous K-7 has the same pro build and controls very like the K-5, the little K-r definitely beats it for low light use and higher ISO when needing a high shutter speed, as far as lower noise and better detail preservation at higher ISO settings. The K-r replaced the K-x and corrected its shortcomings, such as lack of display of AF points in the VF and a mirror slap vibration problem at certain shutter speeds. This type of vibration can cause lack of clarity in the image.

If you would still consider the K-7, you might further consider going back one more step to the K20D. I skipped the then new K-7 and instead got a great deal on a new discontinued K20D, because tests determined there was virtually no difference in image quality, and the K20D was actually slightly better for noise at higher ISO than the newer K-7! The K20D has a great build quality and an excellent pro-style control set. It is a larger body design, however.

Last edited by mikesbike; 08-01-2018 at 12:30 PM.
08-01-2018, 12:38 PM - 2 Likes   #54
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Actually, although the previous K-7 has the same pro build and controls very like the K-5, the little K-r definitely beats it for low light use and higher ISO when needing a high shutter speed, as far as lower noise and better detail preservation at higher ISO settings. The K-r replaced the K-x and corrected its shortcomings, such as lack of display of AF points in the VF and a mirror slap vibration problem at certain shutter speeds. This type of vibration can cause lack of clarity in the image.

If you would still consider the K-7, you might further consider going back one more step to the K20D. I skipped the then new K-7 and instead got a great deal on a new discontinued K20D, because tests determined there was virtually no difference in image quality, and the K20D was actually slightly better for noise at higher ISO than the newer K-7! The K20D has a great build quality and an excellent pro-style control set. It is a larger body design, however.
I remember going back to the K-20D after Tess stole my K-5. If you can do a K-5 do it. It's still a top 50 camera. The K-20D, not so much. I tried for months to get happy with the K-20D, but it never felt right again. I eventually bought a second K-5.

Before the K-5 came out I thought the K-20D would last me forever. It will be good, as long as you don't try a K-5 first.
08-01-2018, 01:29 PM - 1 Like   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This may be relatively minor, but the K10D and K20D have a shallower grip than most other bodies being discussed here, and I could never get used to it. I much prefer the K200D to the K20D, for example, despite the feature differences, e.g. only one control wheel.

Oddly this doesn't bother me with the K-S1, but it's much lighter in general.
08-01-2018, 01:40 PM - 1 Like   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

KEH has a couple of reasonable options right now:
08-01-2018, 03:41 PM - 1 Like   #57
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tonezime Quote
KEH has a couple of reasonable options right now:
Nice work finding those!
08-01-2018, 05:02 PM - 1 Like   #58
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Nice work finding those!
Yep, I enjoyed my K-r for several years as my go-to light alternative to my larger body- first my K20D, then my K-5. It was better for low light and higher ISO than the K20D for sure. Even though the K-5 is definitely better, I still had no qualms in using the K-r when I needed a lighter body. I finally replaced it with my light, small bodied K-S2 since it has WR and both thumb and finger dials for better controls, as well as the swing-out rear LCD screen. It also features an excellent 20mp sensor, still exceptional for low noise when using higher ISO, and has a brighter pro-style full 100% view glass prism VF. I gave away my very nice K-r to friends. It is their first DSLR and they like it a lot.

That looks like a good price for an excellent K-r.

Last edited by mikesbike; 08-01-2018 at 05:13 PM.
08-01-2018, 06:20 PM - 1 Like   #59
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well for $350 I would be tempted to part with my K70, just dicker over shipping costs as I have never sent anything out of Canada
08-01-2018, 08:10 PM - 1 Like   #60
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have or have had the *istDL, K10D(bought new), K20D, K5, K3 and K-1. I still have the K10D just because the CCD sensor in daylight produced stunning colors. The K20D, I never grew to like. The K5 is still a great camera and one of the best low light sensors.

If you can, find a way to get a good used K5.