Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 146 Likes Search this Thread
08-11-2018, 03:50 PM - 1 Like   #121
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ropuchy Quote
Yeah, I'm already having a tone of fun!
Does the allowance get reset every month or something?
I am on Instagram, but it's more of a personal account. I'll just try to upload photos on this forum or get a flickr account or something similar

Everyone has been more than helpful here, so I might as well ask questions.
I'll try to take a more landscapey shot.

Yeah, I'll add the lens to the database!

Thanks! Good luck to you as well!
Flickr is good for bulk storage. I also have a WD mycloud hooked up to my router. When I get a new lens I photograph everything, flowers, trees, silhouettes, shadows, close ups, bokeh tests, long dof, everything. This is really good practice. Also, format your SD card on a regular basis. Did you get an extreme or an ultra? Both good but there is a noticeable difference in write speed. Also, what image processing are you using? There is lots of help on here for that too.

08-11-2018, 04:20 PM - 1 Like   #122

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
Flickr is good for bulk storage. I also have a WD mycloud hooked up to my router. When I get a new lens I photograph everything, flowers, trees, silhouettes, shadows, close ups, bokeh tests, long dof, everything. This is really good practice. Also, format your SD card on a regular basis. Did you get an extreme or an ultra? Both good but there is a noticeable difference in write speed. Also, what image processing are you using? There is lots of help on here for that too.
I have 2 1TB drives in my computer, so I've got plenty of space for storage
Oh, interesting!

Why should I format my SC card regularly? I would think that'd be hard on the flash memory.
I got an Ultra, it was relatively cheap at a local Walgreens

I don't think there'd be much of a difference between Ultra and Extreme with my K-5. I'd think the internal computer would be the limiting factor for writing to the SD card and not the card itself.
What image processing am I using? What do you mean?

Thanks!
Here are some more landscapey-ish shots. There isn't much for landscape where I live, though, just lots of fields.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
08-12-2018, 12:28 AM - 1 Like   #123
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ooh there is loads to photograph you can get in close on a leaf, wide open (f3.5) and see what background bokeh you get, you can shoot tree silhouettes, you have reflections on the water and the car. Are there fish in the river? Get a circular polarizer and play with the water also, try photographing things from every possible angle, that can get fun results. re formatting, some never do, some people do it all the time. I think it needs to be done fairly regularly in case the card gets corrupted then you are always ready to shoot, but there is probably a thread on here written by more knowledgeable people than me re processing, do you use laptop or tablet? And what program?
08-12-2018, 08:33 AM   #124

Original Poster
Ooh there is loads to photograph you can get in close on a leaf, wide open (f3.5) and see what background bokeh you get, you can shoot tree silhouettes, you have reflections on the water and the car. Are there fish in the river? Get a circular polarizer and play with the water also, try photographing things from every possible angle, that can get fun results. re formatting, some never do, some people do it all the time. I think it needs to be done fairly regularly in case the card gets corrupted then you are always ready to shoot, but there is probably a thread on here written by more knowledgeable people than me re processing, do you use laptop or tablet? And what program?
Yeah, I was taking some real close ups of moss and tiny flowers with a diopter kit!
It's not a river, it's a pond. There are minnows, frogs, toads, and all sorts of freaky water bugs that give me the heebie jeebies.
I've been looking at the circular polarizers, they make the water much more see-through!

Ok. I'll do some research on formatting the SD card

The images I've posted haven't been processed, they're just the 4-star Jpegs from the camera
If I were to do any post processing to the pictures, I'd use my desktop because it has good components.
What program would you recommend?

Thanks for all the input!

08-12-2018, 10:08 AM - 1 Like   #125
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Light room is the daddy. Photoshop express is the free version, there are several but a few of the guys on here swear by darkroom, and it is supposed to be free. Re. The polarizer, it removes reflections so you get greener green leaves, a bluer blue sky and clear water. Search for polarizer on YouTube when you get one, don't by mega cheap. The hoya ones are quite cheap and generally good enough to begin with. It is currently all I use although many here have moved on to other makes. You will have plenty of time to buy expensive glass as you progress
08-12-2018, 10:39 AM - 1 Like   #126
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm sure I will!
Have fun with your K-1 II too!
Thanks.
08-12-2018, 10:40 AM   #127

Original Poster
Light room is the daddy. Photoshop express is the free version, there are several but a few of the guys on here swear by darkroom, and it is supposed to be free. Re. The polarizer, it removes reflections so you get greener green leaves, a bluer blue sky and clear water. Search for polarizer on YouTube when you get one, don't by mega cheap. The hoya ones are quite cheap and generally good enough to begin with. It is currently all I use although many here have moved on to other makes. You will have plenty of time to buy expensive glass as you progress
Ok, I'll checkout Photoshop express. I can't seem to find any free version for Darkroom.
Right, because when the light is reflected off of the water it gets polarized, and the polarizing filter reverses that.

I have a Hoya Diopter kit that's a lot of fun. What specific Hoya polarizer would you recommend? I'd be using 52mm.

And yeah, I'd prefer to keep the cost down for now. Once you start to sink a tonne of money into a hobby it makes things more serious than fun

08-12-2018, 10:46 AM - 1 Like   #128
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

. . . I've been looking at the circular polarizers, they make the water much more see-through! . . .
lots of good info here at the forum in the articles

such as:

Polarizing Filter Basics
An article explaining the photographic uses and effects of a polarizer
By bdery in Articles and Tips on Jul 14, 2014

Read more at: Polarizing Filter Basics - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com
08-12-2018, 10:56 AM - 1 Like   #129
Pentaxian

Here's some photos I took with my new K-5!
The one that's really dark and underexposed is the first photo I took. it's of this gigantic caterpillar just outside my window.
The pictures are a little out of focus, but that's alright.
I used my Hoya 52mm diopter kit for the macro-ish shots.

Anywho, what do you guys think?
Just shooting and seeing the results as you are doing is learning in itself. You can also try using the different modes and resort to the camera manual as needed to know what their purpose/guidelines are. I myself have used the TAV and Manual modes mostly. The forum is free, you will also have gallery/album space to add or delete photos as needed or not needed. You can use shortcuts in your posts to reference those images if you want to. You can purchase membership upgrades/donate, but naturally there is no obligation.

Happy shooting!
08-12-2018, 11:24 AM   #130

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
lots of good info here at the forum in the articles

such as:

Polarizing Filter Basics
An article explaining the photographic uses and effects of a polarizer
By bdery in Articles and Tips on Jul 14, 2014

Read more at: Polarizing Filter Basics - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com
Looks like I've got some articles to read up on!

---------- Post added 08-12-18 at 11:26 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
Just shooting and seeing the results as you are doing is learning in itself. You can also try using the different modes and resort to the camera manual as needed to know what their purpose/guidelines are. I myself have used the TAV and Manual modes mostly. The forum is free, you will also have gallery/album space to add or delete photos as needed or not needed. You can use shortcuts in your posts to reference those images if you want to. You can purchase membership upgrades/donate, but naturally there is no obligation.

Happy shooting!
Yeah, just taking pictures and seeing how they'll turn out is much easier with digital than with film
I've been using Av so far, but TAv looks promising! Hopefully I can get good enough with all the other controls before I switch over to Manual mode.

And yeah, someone gifted me an account upgrade, so now I've got more space for photos and whatnot!
08-12-2018, 11:39 AM - 2 Likes   #131
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's darktable, not darkroom. RawTherapee is worth looking at too.

You don't need to dive into all of these right away, though. You can get pretty far with anything that lets you crop, change white balance, and do basic exposure tweaks. e.g. Snapseed, Google Photos, Pixlr, probably many more.
08-12-2018, 11:44 AM - 1 Like   #132
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've been using Av so far, but TAv looks promising! Hopefully I can get good enough with all the other controls before I switch over to Manual mode.
Some people love using M all the time, others rarely do. With digital I don't find myself ever preferring it to TAv (if I need that much control) except when setting something up with flash. If you're getting pictures you like with Av, don't feel pressured to change just for the sake of it.
08-12-2018, 11:49 AM   #133

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tonezime Quote

You don't need to dive into all of these right away, though. You can get pretty far with anything that lets you crop, change white balance, and do basic exposure tweaks. e.g. Snapseed, Google Photos, Pixlr, probably many more.
Ah ok! Darktable looks appealing.
I'll mess around with a couple of the free/open source ones and see what works best for me
Thanks!
08-12-2018, 11:51 AM - 1 Like   #134
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My mistake thanks tz snapseed is excellent but only on phones and tablets
08-12-2018, 11:52 AM   #135

Original Poster
Some people love using M all the time, others rarely do. With digital I don't find myself ever preferring it to TAv (if I need that much control) except when setting something up with flash. If you're getting pictures you like with Av, don't feel pressured to change just for the sake of it.
I never use flash, I prefer to keep the natural lighting something has. I feel as though TAv or Av is what I'll be using most of the time. Although I'd definitely like to learn how to use M.
And yeah, I'll just do whatever is fun! Don't want to start forcing myself into situations for no good reason.
Thanks!

---------- Post added 08-12-18 at 11:53 AM ----------

My mistake thanks tz snapseed is excellent but only on phones and tablets
I have an OTG adapter for my phone, so maybe Snapseed would work well for some on the go photo editing!