Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 146 Likes Search this Thread
08-12-2018, 12:04 PM - 1 Like   #136
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Regarding modes, a good one to try is P. I have a friend who uses P mode exclusively. In this mode the camera sets the exposure somewhere mid range. You can then either change the aperture or shutter speed and it will change the other to maintain exposure. You can use this to get your head round the correlation between shutter speed, aperture and iso. Have a play

Regarding filters, the slim hoya is perfectly adequate you can get one for less than £20. Hoya also do a triple pack containing a polarizer, a UV and an ND. Lots of people have a UV on their lens all the time. It doesn't do anything other than protect your lens. Some people believe it degrades the picture, others don't. I am not a sufficiently good photographer for my parameters to be noticably affected so I keep one on and only take it off when I am using another filter. The third is the ND. This is like sunglasses for your lens. If you are shooting in really bright conditions and you want to slow down your shutter speed to get the effect you want you need one of these

08-12-2018, 12:38 PM   #137

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
Regarding modes, a good one to try is P. I have a friend who uses P mode exclusively. In this mode the camera sets the exposure somewhere mid range. You can then either change the aperture or shutter speed and it will change the other to maintain exposure. You can use this to get your head round the correlation between shutter speed, aperture and iso. Have a play

Regarding filters, the slim hoya is perfectly adequate you can get one for less than £20. Hoya also do a triple pack containing a polarizer, a UV and an ND. Lots of people have a UV on their lens all the time. It doesn't do anything other than protect your lens. Some people believe it degrades the picture, others don't. I am not a sufficiently good photographer for my parameters to be noticably affected so I keep one on and only take it off when I am using another filter. The third is the ND. This is like sunglasses for your lens. If you are shooting in really bright conditions and you want to slow down your shutter speed to get the effect you want you need one of these
Ok, interesting! I'll have to try out P.

The triple pack sounds pretty useful. Gives me lots of options to experiment!
I guess putting anything on your lens could degrade clarity, but I don't think it'd be noticeable at all for normal photography.

Protecting the lens is a good idea. Don't want to get it all scratched up. I have a Hoya Skylight 1B on my 28-70mm
08-12-2018, 03:29 PM - 1 Like   #138
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ropuchy Quote
Looks like I've got some articles to read up on!

---------- Post added 08-12-18 at 11:26 AM ----------

Yeah, just taking pictures and seeing how they'll turn out is much easier with digital than with film
I've been using Av so far, but TAv looks promising! Hopefully I can get good enough with all the other controls before I switch over to Manual mode.

And yeah, someone gifted me an account upgrade, so now I've got more space for photos and whatnot!
Looks good. You can check the properties of your images on your camera or computer to see what you did and discover what is working best for you.

Good luck!
08-12-2018, 08:51 PM   #139

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
Looks good. You can check the properties of your images on your camera or computer to see what you did and discover what is working best for you.

Good luck!
Alright, thanks C_Jones!

08-25-2018, 01:10 AM - 1 Like   #140
Banned

K10d is fantastic camera from $100!)

Hello.

I'd like to get into some more serious digital photography (Serious in comparison to using my phone), and would like to get a Pentax camera.
I have a K1000 SE that I got with 5 lenses for $10 and have been enjoying it quite a bit. I'd like to be able to use these lenses instead of getting new ones.

All the lenses are manual. One has aperture priority, but the K1000 doesn't have the ability to use that feature.

Anywho, I'd be looking for a DSLR that would fit my lenses and allow me to take pictures in low-light conditions or of the stars (Something my phone can do, but is very poor at.)

I don't have a lot of money, so older, used cameras would probably be the realistic options. I've looked at the *ist D and K10D, which both look nice and can be found for alright prices (Especially the *ist D), although the K10D has weather sealing.

What do you guys think?
Of course, take k10d, I myself bought one for a hundred bucks and thanks to this camera and few manuals lenses I got a lot of fun.
Attached Images

Last edited by BigMackCam; 08-26-2018 at 04:53 PM.
08-25-2018, 11:28 AM - 2 Likes   #141
pxt

I suggested buy used camera like K20D and when you make few thousand photos you'll see what you miss.
08-25-2018, 01:48 PM   #142

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Yuri Leo Quote
Of course, take k10d, I myself bought one for a hundred bucks and thanks to this camera and few manuals lenses I got a lot of fun
I ended up getting a K-5, and have been very happy with it.

Thank you for the suggestion, though!

---------- Post added 08-25-18 at 01:49 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pxt Quote
I suggested buy used camera like K20D and when you make few thousand photos you'll see what you miss.
That's what I had been planning to do, but I was able to get a good deal on a K-5 instead.
Thanks for the input, though!

Last edited by BigMackCam; 08-26-2018 at 04:54 PM.
08-25-2018, 02:15 PM - 1 Like   #143
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrats on your K-5. This camera has proven itself as one of the most stable and long-lasting in its being highly regarded as satisfying, dependable, and having excellent performance and feature set. Good choice!
08-25-2018, 02:17 PM   #144

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Congrats on your K-5. This camera has proven itself as one of the most stable and long-lasting in its being highly regarded as satisfying, dependable, and having excellent performance and feature set. Good choice!
Yeah, I'm very happy with my purchase!
I wouldn't have made such a good choice without the input from everyone in this thread.
Thanks!
08-25-2018, 08:02 PM - 1 Like   #145
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Anyone else get confused when they click on a notification and don't remember commenting on the thread? But I think I may have said to go for a K-5 or better than the K10D. I like the K10D but it jut can't compete with the newer models.
Nice choice on the K-5, I never owned one though. I made the leap from the k20D straight to the K3II. It was an awesome leap forward with huge gains in image quality.
You'll be pleased with your choice!
08-26-2018, 12:41 AM - 1 Like   #146
pxt

Altrus3 has right. It is better choice. In Pentax newer model are AF improved and typically high available usefull ISO. For start the best camera is that wchich working, because you have to learn staff and expirement to find what is your preference. I made leap from 200D to K3 II and it was big deal, but I know what my old camera doesn't have.
08-27-2018, 09:58 AM   #147

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aitrus3 Quote
Anyone else get confused when they click on a notification and don't remember commenting on the thread? But I think I may have said to go for a K-5 or better than the K10D. I like the K10D but it jut can't compete with the newer models.
Nice choice on the K-5, I never owned one though. I made the leap from the k20D straight to the K3II. It was an awesome leap forward with huge gains in image quality.
You'll be pleased with your choice!
Yeah, might have commented somewhere in this thread. Too many pages to look through, though!
That's quite the leap from the K20D to the K3II.

And yeah, I've been very pleased with my K-5!

---------- Post added 08-27-18 at 10:00 AM ----------

Altrus3 has right. It is better choice. In Pentax newer model are AF improved and typically high available usefull ISO. For start the best camera is that wchich working, because you have to learn staff and expirement to find what is your preference. I made leap from 200D to K3 II and it was big deal, but I know what my old camera doesn't have.
Right, I plan to use my K-5 until I feel like it isn't able to do what I want. I've got a lot to grow into, though!
08-28-2018, 01:03 AM - 1 Like   #148
pxt

Right, I plan to use my K-5 until I feel like it isn't able to do what I want. I've got a lot to grow into, though!
In photography time to learn does matter.
08-28-2018, 09:07 AM   #149

Original Poster
In photography time to learn does matter.
Yeah, I expect to have to spend a lot of time to learn the ins and outs of my camera.
08-28-2018, 09:24 AM - 1 Like   #150
Veteran Member

I ended up getting a K-5, and have been very happy with it.

Thank you for the suggestion, though!

---------- Post added 08-25-18 at 01:49 PM ----------

That's what I had been planning to do, but I was able to get a good deal on a K-5 instead.
Thanks for the input, though!
Congrats on your purchase. I have the K-5 and I love it. Its a great camera. Read the manual and read it again. Get to know it and try everything. For the money you can't get a better camera IMHO.