Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 146 Likes Search this Thread
08-28-2018, 09:31 AM   #151

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jack002 Quote
Congrats on your purchase. I have the K-5 and I love it. Its a great camera. Read the manual and read it again. Get to know it and try everything. For the money you can't get a better camera IMHO.
Yeah, I've been having a great time with it!
I've skimmed through the manual a couple times, but have yet to read it fully.

And yeah, the K-5 looks like it's great for the money! Hopefully I can keep most of my stuff cost-effective

Any suggestions for my K-5? Things you wish you knew about when you first got it or stuff like that?

08-28-2018, 10:01 AM - 1 Like   #152
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Use the User Mode settings for your most common shooting. When I was still shooting JPG format, I had a "fast-shot" mode which disabled all in-camera corrections, set center-weighted metering and focusing, trigger release (which was on anyway). The recording rate was at maximum, and with AF.C and the 18-135 lens I could really get good action shots with the dogs at the park. I'm sure the high-end Nikons etc. are better at following motion but I got a lot of great shots.

Always use your lens hood.
Invest in a sling strap - it's comfortable and secure.
Don't be afraid to take the camera places, the K5 is built to last.
08-28-2018, 10:55 AM   #153

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Use the User Mode settings for your most common shooting. When I was still shooting JPG format, I had a "fast-shot" mode which disabled all in-camera corrections, set center-weighted metering and focusing, trigger release (which was on anyway). The recording rate was at maximum, and with AF.C and the 18-135 lens I could really get good action shots with the dogs at the park. I'm sure the high-end Nikons etc. are better at following motion but I got a lot of great shots.

Always use your lens hood.
Invest in a sling strap - it's comfortable and secure.
Don't be afraid to take the camera places, the K5 is built to last.
I'll look into the Use Mode, thanks!

I've seem some great auto-focusing and subject tracking from the high-end Nikons and Canons. But it's not a requirement for the kinds of pictures I like taking

I actually don't have any lens hoods. Well, one of my lenses has a built-in one that you can slide in and out, but it isn't any good for protection.
I've been looking at getting a new neck strap, the one i have is a bit uncomfortable and makes me feel like an advertisement! Any particular straps you'd recommend?

And yeah, I hopped up into a tree yesterday to take some pictures with it. I've got to get some rain cover or something for taking pictures with it's a bit sprinkly out.

The K-5 definitely feels well made. And I was able to get mine practically unused, so there's that too!

Thanks for all the input!
08-28-2018, 11:21 AM - 1 Like   #154
pxt

QuoteOriginally posted by Ropuchy Quote
Yeah, I expect to have to spend a lot of time to learn the ins and outs of my camera.
For me limitation was ISO in low light situation, AF and WB change in fast matters and two dial rear and front to fast set settings. A lot of depend on what are you take and with what condition. Tripod make some limitation's gone, but makes another. Sometimes you want better ISO to avoid using tripod, but in studio is not problem etc.

08-28-2018, 11:33 AM   #155

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pxt Quote
For me limitation was ISO in low light situation, AF and WB change in fast matters and two dial rear and front to fast set settings. A lot of depend on what are you take and with what condition. Tripod make some limitation's gone, but makes another. Sometimes you want better ISO to avoid using tripod, but in studio is not problem etc.
I plan on getting a tripod sometime soon. I think it'd be very useful for astrophotography and landscapes.

I like to use the camera handheld for most other things, though.

I'm sure I'll learn the limitations of the camera. But it has been working very well for everything so far!
08-28-2018, 11:58 AM - 1 Like   #156
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a Black Rapid Curve which is very comfortable. The new version has that second stabilizer strap.
BlackRapid Curve Breathe Camera Strap 361007 B&H Photo Video
08-28-2018, 12:02 PM   #157

Original Poster
I have a Black Rapid Curve which is very comfortable. The new version has that second stabilizer strap.
BlackRapid Curve Breathe Camera Strap 361007 B&H Photo Video
Ah, alright.

I plan on getting a tripod sometime, so I'd want the tripod mount to be available.
I'll look around for a more traditional neck strap.

Thank you for the input!

08-28-2018, 12:24 PM - 1 Like   #158
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ah, alright.

I plan on getting a tripod sometime, so I'd want the tripod mount to be available.
I'll look around for a more traditional neck strap.

Thank you for the input!
I use a wrist strap and or a sling. I have two of them, a cheaper one from Amazon which works well, and my good one which is a Black Rapid. Very comfortable and secure.
08-28-2018, 12:30 PM   #159

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
I use a wrist strap and or a sling. I have two of them, a cheaper one from Amazon which works well, and my good one which is a Black Rapid. Very comfortable and secure.
Ok. Why do you prefer the wrist strap and slings over a neck strap?
I'm curious because I would think having the camera on my hip or hand could become inconvenient. It's very out of the way when it's sitting on my chest.

I might end up making my own. The materials and hardware for them are pretty cheap and I have some ideas on how to do it. And I can avoid all the obnoxious branding
08-28-2018, 12:44 PM - 1 Like   #160
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ok. Why do you prefer the wrist strap and slings over a neck strap?
I'm curious because I would think having the camera on my hip or hand could become inconvenient. It's very out of the way when it's sitting on my chest.

I might end up making my own. The materials and hardware for them are pretty cheap and I have some ideas on how to do it. And I can avoid all the obnoxious branding
I made my own wrist straps out of para-cord. Having the camera near the waist on a sling takes the weight off your neck, and when you are walking, the camera is ready near your hand. I've gone out for long hours with a camera and a traditional strap, and after a short time, I learned it just isn't long enough to move around to make comfortable.
08-28-2018, 01:12 PM   #161

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
I made my own wrist straps out of para-cord. Having the camera near the waist on a sling takes the weight off your neck, and when you are walking, the camera is ready near your hand. I've gone out for long hours with a camera and a traditional strap, and after a short time, I learned it just isn't long enough to move around to make comfortable.
Ah alright, thanks!

Makes sense.

I'll usually just put my camera in my bag, although that makes it less accessible. I see the benefit of having it on your waist or in hand.

Thanks!
08-28-2018, 01:31 PM - 1 Like   #162
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A sling is much more comfortable than a neck strap. It's less fatiguing and rests at your hip, not chest. The mount screw is easily removed so you can mount it on a tripod, this shouldn't be a concern. You can also attach via a caribiner to the camera's lugs if you really want.
08-28-2018, 01:40 PM   #163

Original Poster
A sling is much more comfortable than a neck strap. It's less fatiguing and rests at your hip, not chest. The mount screw is easily removed so you can mount it on a tripod, this shouldn't be a concern. You can also attach via a caribiner to the camera's lugs if you really want.
Yeah, I'm sure it is. It puts all the weight on your shoulder and not your neck.

I think a neck strap works well for me. I like having the camera on my chest. I'll have to try out a sling sometime to see if I'd like it.

Thanks for the input!
08-28-2018, 01:45 PM - 1 Like   #164
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yeah, I'm sure it is. It puts all the weight on your shoulder and not your neck.

I think a neck strap works well for me. I like having the camera on my chest. I'll have to try out a sling sometime to see if I'd like it.

Thanks for the input!
There are also systems that mount a clip to a backpack strap to redistribute the weight. The clip goes on the bottom and usually acts as a swiss arca type quick release plate also.
08-28-2018, 01:47 PM - 1 Like   #165
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, the heavier the camera the more you'll want to get the weight off your chest!
This year on the prairies I'm carrying the K-3 with FA100mm macro and ring flash on one strap, and my K5 with DA300 on the second strap. This is the harness: BlackRapid | Double Breathe