Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2018, 07:01 PM   #166

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
There are also systems that mount a clip to a backpack strap to redistribute the weight. The clip goes on the bottom and usually acts as a swiss arca type quick release plate also.
Oh, interesting!

---------- Post added 08-28-18 at 07:04 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Yes, the heavier the camera the more you'll want to get the weight off your chest!
This year on the prairies I'm carrying the K-3 with FA100mm macro and ring flash on one strap, and my K5 with DA300 on the second strap. This is the harness: BlackRapid | Double Breathe
My K-5 with a 50mm f2 is pretty light, so I suppose that's why I have no problem with using a neck strap. It would be a pain to have my 75-300mm on it, though.

That's quite the harness! Probably makes the cameras feel like feathers.

08-29-2018, 02:34 AM - 1 Like   #167
pxt

Interesting strap is from Peak Design:
Clutch Camera Hand Strap | Peak Design

To be honest I don't use it. I see only video, so I can't say that it I can recommened, but is maybe other option to consider for you.
08-29-2018, 06:53 AM - 1 Like   #168
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ropuchy Quote
Oh, interesting!

---------- Post added 08-28-18 at 07:04 PM ----------

My K-5 with a 50mm f2 is pretty light, so I suppose that's why I have no problem with using a neck strap. It would be a pain to have my 75-300mm on it, though.

That's quite the harness! Probably makes the cameras feel like feathers.
I wouldn't go that far!
It does distribute the weight well, though, and keeps both at the ready.
08-29-2018, 10:52 AM - 1 Like   #169
pxt

Neck strap it can be use as stabilistation:

08-29-2018, 12:18 PM   #170

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pxt Quote
Interesting strap is from Peak Design:
Clutch Camera Hand Strap | Peak Design

To be honest I don't use it. I see only video, so I can't say that it I can recommened, but is maybe other option to consider for you.
Ah ok, thanks!

---------- Post added 08-29-18 at 12:19 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
I wouldn't go that far!
It does distribute the weight well, though, and keeps both at the ready.
Yeah, I might have been exaggerating a little bit
I'm sure having both cameras at the ready is very useful!

---------- Post added 08-29-18 at 12:21 PM ----------

I've used my neck strap in that way before. It works alright.
I'm sure the same can be done with other types of straps and harnesses, though.
08-29-2018, 01:53 PM - 2 Likes   #171
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Since the 1980s, I've been using a simple sling set up instead of "around the neck" orientation. As a casual amateur, I found it much more convenient to have the camera resting at/in my right hand, near my hip. When moving about, it is less obtrusive than a tele lens projecting from my chest, and allows me to shift it to the front or behind as needed. Back then, I simply fastened both ends of a neck strap to one lug. It worked pretty well. When not using the sling strap, I use a simple wrist strap. It allows me to carry the camera in a relaxed manner, with added safety if it is somehow knocked free. It hasn't happened in 30+ years, but serves as cheap insurance.

I've recently "upgraded" to a purpose built sling strap and wrist strap. I'm not yet sure how much of an upgrade it is, aside from better security, ease of adjustment and slightly better fit. I use the Peak Design Slide Lite, as a sling strap and their Cuff as a wrist strap.
08-29-2018, 02:17 PM   #172

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
Since the 1980s, I've been using a simple sling set up instead of "around the neck" orientation. As a casual amateur, I found it much more convenient to have the camera resting at/in my right hand, near my hip. When moving about, it is less obtrusive than a tele lens projecting from my chest, and allows me to shift it to the front or behind as needed. Back then, I simply fastened both ends of a neck strap to one lug. It worked pretty well. When not using the sling strap, I use a simple wrist strap. It allows me to carry the camera in a relaxed manner, with added safety if it is somehow knocked free. It hasn't happened in 30+ years, but serves as cheap insurance.

I've recently "upgraded" to a purpose built sling strap and wrist strap. I'm not yet sure how much of an upgrade it is, aside from better security, ease of adjustment and slightly better fit. I use the Peak Design Slide Lite, as a sling strap and their Cuff as a wrist strap.
Ah ok, thanks for your input!

08-30-2018, 04:36 AM - 1 Like   #173
pxt

Is it really better protection from slide / move after adjustment of lenght?

I've used my neck strap in that way before. It works alright.
I'm sure the same can be done with other types of straps and harnesses, though.
I think the same. Peak Design after watching video looks as good design. Lifetime guarantee seems atractractive for me.
08-30-2018, 05:58 AM - 2 Likes   #174
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

I have slings from a Kickstarter, they're pretty nice as they're built from car seatbelt material. They're not as comfortable as the Black Rapid but they're very long, so I use them in the winter when I have a jacket on anyway. I gave one to my Dad who still coaches soccer and hikes in his mid-70s. The sling lets him keep his hands more free.

You'll figure out what's best for you, and it may not be a single solution.
08-30-2018, 10:59 AM   #175
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Is it really better protection from slide / move after adjustment of lenght?
I'm not sure I understand your question, but I was comparing the security of the Peak Lite strap to the security of a simple strap hung by one lug. The Peak strap uses two attachment points, causing a tele lens to stay against my body, vs a tendency for the camera/lens to twist more with a simple strap. Also, the Peak strap has a rubberized coating on one side. It's a simple matter to flip the strap at my shoulder to temporarily keep the camera from sliding. For example, when my granddaughter ran up to me at her birthday party, I simply slid the camera behind me as I flipped the strap at the shoulder (so the anti slip coating contacted my shirt), and bent to pick her up as she got to me. My old system usually required me to hold the camera with my right hand to prevent it swinging forward from my backside when bending forward.

I hope this helps.
08-30-2018, 11:20 AM   #176
pxt

Yes, it is what I ask for. I simple was afraid that this strap has tendency to swinging few mm. Advertise and reality sometimes are diffrent...
08-30-2018, 12:31 PM   #177

Photos: Gallery
If You want something more pro, then K10D. If something smaller, then K200D or K-m. All of them have SR and nice CCD sensor, but the first two have in addition weather sealing, which is very good For manual focus with old lenses these cameras are great.
08-30-2018, 01:58 PM   #178
Veteran Member

Yeah, I've been having a great time with it!
I've skimmed through the manual a couple times, but have yet to read it fully.

And yeah, the K-5 looks like it's great for the money! Hopefully I can keep most of my stuff cost-effective

Any suggestions for my K-5? Things you wish you knew about when you first got it or stuff like that?
Nothing of note. I wanted to use my manual lenses, so knowing how to set it to do that was important. Get to know where everything is. I don't worry with white balance now, I can set that in post. Get it to make raw files, with or without the JPGS.
I keep a battery charged all the time to swap if I run out of power.
I never got into 'back focus' where you auto focus with the AF button on the back, I use manual mode a lot, not a lot of fast moving subjects for me most times.
Get familiar with how to change aperture, shutter speed, iso, and the built in flash has a way to turn down the brightness.
I never got into the user settings for user mode.
Good luck. Keep us up on how you like it and things you're doing with it.
08-31-2018, 07:51 AM   #179
Veteran Member

This is the link to how to use a manual focus lens
Using Manual Lenses (M42 Screwmount, M , K) on Pentax DSLRs F-- - PentaxForums.com