Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-05-2018, 08:22 AM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
I surprised she's even talking to you after what you've done to her wee dog...
Lol.....Right ! I made a Proper little dog out of her. HJ is on another cruise right now so she cant say a thing......Yet !

08-05-2018, 08:22 AM - 1 Like   #17
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Please Show us some photos when you have them set up, I'd like to see what they look like loaded up
Aye that's a good call.
08-05-2018, 08:24 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
No cell phones? That's awesome! I looked up your pelican models, good choices and lower priced than I thought. Please Show us some photos when you have them set up, I'd like to see what they look like loaded up.
I will do just that next week after I get them. I ordered both and will figure out which one works best for me and then do it X2.
I will say that I wont be using the supplied pick-pluck foam. Im going to use some high density 1/2" blue foam from a camp mat from WalMart instead and fix it inside each case. I want padding , but also an open case inside that's not fit for any particular body/lens combo.

Last edited by Ronald Oakes; 08-05-2018 at 08:31 AM.
08-05-2018, 08:28 AM   #19
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ronald Oakes Quote
Lol.....Right ! I made a Proper little dog out of her.
Are we on the verge here, of too much information... best not answer this.

08-05-2018, 08:28 AM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I will do just that next week after I get them. I ordered both and will figure out which one works best for me and then do X2
It might be nice to have the 2 different models so you know which camera is in which case, or a different color case if the same model, or I guess you could label them, never mind.
08-05-2018, 08:35 AM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian
Site Supporter

I can't believe I missed this....

I use a Pelican 1400 case. It will take either the K-1 or K-3 and a couple of lenses usually landscape lenses and my DA*60-250 or DA*200.. In the boat I have smaller case just the right size for the K-3 and DA 18-135. But one of the catches is failing, it's not a Pelican and I'm not going to recommend it. My logic there being, if I'm in fast water or spray, I want to be able to get my WR gear out, without putting other lenses stored in that case at risk.The Pelican case I've had for more than 10 tears and it's still as good as new. The other nice thing about the Pelican 1400, it makes a nice stool around camp. Slips under my canoe seat for easy access. The 1300 is a nice still as well, but doesn't always fit under the seat, as it's bit taller than the 1400.

We've tried many different systems from dry bags to waterproof packs, for me, the Pelican 1400 is the boss. Tess prefers dry bag that was specifically designed for camera gear. But she also takes a Pelican 1300 sometimes. My problem with the 1300 is it's not really good for my longer lenses (mentioned above.) But mounting her lenses vertically in the case and usually having her Tamron 90 as her longest lens. It works pretty good for her.

Now that I'm using the collapsable DA 55-300 PLM for my light weight telephoto option it may turn out the 1300 works just fine.

Last edited by normhead; 08-05-2018 at 08:41 AM.
08-05-2018, 08:42 AM   #22
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I thought you'd must of been sleeping... your probably the main man on this forum with this sort of experience.
08-05-2018, 08:52 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster

I use a Pelican 1400 case. It will take either the K-1 or K-3 and a couple of lenses usually landscape lenses and my DA*60-250 or DA*200.. In the boat I have smaller case just the right size for the K-3 and DA 18-135. But one of the catches is failing, it's not a Pelican and I'm not going to recommend it. My logic there being, if I'm in fast water or spray, I want to be able to get my WR gear out, without putting other lenses stored in that case at risk.The Pelican case I've had for more than 10 tears and it's still as good as new. The other nice thing about the Pelican 1400, it makes a nice stool around camp. Slips under my canoe seat for easy access. The 1300 is a nice still as well, but doesn't always fit under the seat, as it's bit taller than the 1400.

We've tried many different systems from dry bags to waterproof packs, for me, the Pelican 1400 is the boss. Tess prefers dry bag that was specifically designed for camera gear. But she also takes a Pelican 1300 sometimes. My problem with the 1300 is it's not really good for my longer lenses (mentioned above.) But mounting her lenses vertically in the case and usually having her Tamron 90 as her longest lens. It works pretty good for her.

Now that I'm using the collapsable DA 55-300 PLM for my light weight telephoto option it may turn out the 1300 works just fine.
I was hoping you would weigh in here !
I looked at the 1400 and thought it was a tad too big overall Yet the 1300 seems a tad too small.
The Storm Case IM2075 is also a touch too tall , so I came to the conclusion the 1300 was my logical choice.
I figure if it will hold my K-1 and attached DFA 28-105 WR lens , that's all I really need at the largest size.
However I never gave any thought about using it for camp stool or table.....thanks.
I also don't have my canoe readily available to measure under the seat , but suspect the taller IM 2075 case will fit at just under 8".
Already have a 1560 that holds everything I could possibly need , but its just too big for any real use on this trip other than to be the "Mother" case for everything not being used at the moment , and will be stored inside one of the the Dories 2 dry boxes while on the river.
Even though Im sizing it for the K-1......it WONT be going on this trip and neither will the KP. Im even having thoughts of leaving my beloved DA 20-40 Limited behind , and taking my newly acquired F 24-50 instead.
we still haven't worked out the entire lens selection yet....it changes hourly.....lol

08-05-2018, 08:56 AM - 2 Likes   #24
Pentaxian
Site Supporter

Here's what I often take.

K-3 in the smaller case. K-1 in the 1400. The little Nikon or Optio W90 is in my life jacket vest pocket at all times. Waterproof, shock proof, and decent IQ in good light. I generally will not open a case in white water or spray, the little pocket camera is for that. If you aren't taking a lens like the DA*200 or 60-250 then the 1300 is fine.

Looking at this picture, which isn't all that old, My 28-105 would replace the FAJ 18-35. My DFA 100 marcher would replace the 50 macro. my DA 55-300 PLM would replace the DA*200. That brown case probably contained the 21 ltd, and the 40XS is probably under it. Times change. I have often paired down to the 1300 while kayaking just because I can keep it in the cockpit with me instead of taking up room in limited storage compartments. The 1400 doesn't work as well for that use.

Last edited by normhead; 08-05-2018 at 09:05 AM.
08-05-2018, 11:04 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Here's what I often take........The little Nikon or Optio W90 is in my life jacket vest pocket at all times...... I generally will not open a case in white water or spray.....If you aren't taking a lens like the DA*200 or 60-250 then the 1300 is fine.
I don't plan on taking any really high dollar lenses out in the water hardly ever , and my longest two lenses are the F 70-210 and FA 80-320.
I believe the 1300 case will just barely make the size requirement for the later attached to my K-1.
If I size for that.....anything else fits regardless.
08-05-2018, 11:15 AM - 1 Like   #26
Pentaxian
Site Supporter

I don't plan on taking any really high dollar lenses out in the water hardly ever , and my longest two lenses are the F 70-210 and FA 80-320.
I believe the 1300 case will just barely make the size requirement for the later attached to my K-1.
If I size for that.....anything else fits regardless.
Well at least you can see what they look like with stuff I used to carry a few years ago.
08-05-2018, 11:55 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well at least you can see what they look like with stuff I used to carry a few years ago.
Yes....Thanks....that helps a lot to hear how you do it and your thoughts. We are pretty much on track with similar ideas.
08-08-2018, 03:41 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I just received my Pelican order from WalMart.
Immediately returned the Storm Case IM2075 after a quick measurement in the store......length and width was fine , but it was just too deep for my needs.
I kept the Pelican 1300 and in fact ordered a second one.
It will hold my K-30 , KP , K-1 , or K-r with a normal Prime , or medium size zoom just fine.
In fact there is a little extra room for a couple accessories such as extra batteries , small prime , wallet , license , etc...
I wont use the Pick-Pluck foam , and instead will be using a camp sleeping mat carefully cut to size , and glued in place.
Will post pics later tonight showing the internal size with camera.....I like it !

Last edited by Ronald Oakes; 08-08-2018 at 03:47 PM.
08-08-2018, 04:47 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
It might be nice to have the 2 different models so you know which camera is in which case, or a different color case if the same model, or I guess you could label them, never mind.
lol....ok.. Maybe I will call one #1 and the other #2 ? Or I could label one "A" and the other "B" !
Hmmm....now you have me actually thinking serious about this....
08-09-2018, 04:34 AM - 1 Like   #30
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
lol....ok.. Maybe I will call one #1 and the other #2 ? Or I could label one "A" and the other "B" !
Hmmm....now you have me actually thinking serious about this....
FWIW, blue painters' tape and a sharpie works well for temporary travel labeling. I use it for luggage, cases, fly rod tubes, etc. It's not always pretty, but it's always obvious.