Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-04-2018, 06:29 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Kayak , Canoe , Raft.....Water tight small case selection ? Pelican ?

My up coming once in a lifetime Colorado whitewater trip for 14 days/13 nights with HelenJo has me making plans. My trip isn't until October , but Camera plans are well underway.

Im trying to decide which quickly stowable water tight case I should get ?
Looking for just a single Body and lens scenario , that when the bad stuff shows , I can quickly stow/stash my camera and snap a small tight case closed and not worry about it until the wet and wild passes.

Im also wanting just a small case to use for general outings on lakes and rivers for the same. Mainly just a single body (up to a K-1size) and zoom lens......that's all.

I am almost ready to get a Pelican 1300 case , but then saw there is a Pelican Storm Case IM2075 , along with other makers that are about the right size.

Stressing over the right case and all the possible scenarios that are coming for sure......Im not taking my K-1 on this one , but will have a K-r and K-30...….. possibly a KP if I get really brave. I plan on keeping it real simple.

08-04-2018, 06:39 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Harbor freight has one on sale this weekend for 9.98 for the size with room for a body that has a pressure relief and has good reviews versus 40 for the Pelican. The thing is, I have never heard about a pelican case failing.
08-04-2018, 06:41 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Harbor freight has one on sale this weekend for 9.98 for the size with room for a body that has a pressure relief and has good reviews versus 40 for the Pelican. The thing is, I have never heard about a pelican case failing.
I looked at the Harbor Freight ones today.....NOT at all impressed. Plastic was warped , seal was very poor. I simply wont chance it at all with China Freight.
WalMart has the Pelican 1300 Yellow for $41 with tax and in store pickup. Just weighing all my options.
08-04-2018, 07:36 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yellow color seems like a plus. Maybe add a line with an additional float?

08-04-2018, 07:53 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Instead of a case, have you considered a dry sack? I'd think it would be faster to stuff your camera in it if something came up real fast. Available at most outdoor type stores - REI, Academy, Dicks, etc.
08-04-2018, 08:30 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ronald Oakes Quote
Stressing over the right case and all the possible scenarios that are coming for sure......Im not taking my K-1 on this one , but will have a K-r and K-30...….. possibly a KP if I get really brave. I plan on keeping it real simple.
That's not "real simple"!

I did the river quite some time ago (in the pre-digital age). I had my ME with 28, 50, and 135 lenses and used about a roll of film a day. I do not remember feeling limited in focal length coverage. I had a dry bag for the equipment - and it went in and out a lot (6/8/10 times a day)! I think a rigid case would have been a nuisance. What kind of boat will you be using? In some situations, storage room and access may be an issue. Make sure everything you have floats! I even had a floatable strap attached to my glasses and had them tied to my life jacket as well (you don't go on the river without your life jacket!!!!!) - although if they went overboard, I doubt they could have been recovered.

While the guides will tell you when rapids are coming up, you want to be flexible and nimble with your gear.

If I was doing this now, I would take one camera and one lens - the 18-135 for APS-C (and just maybe my Sigma 10-20). Probably not a K-30 unless you are sure aperture block will not rear its ugly head.

Spend most of your time eyeballing nature, not worrying about the next picture!!
08-04-2018, 09:00 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Yellow color seems like a plus. Maybe add a line with an additional float?
Already taken care of. Yellow is my first choice for visibility.

---------- Post added 08-04-18 at 21:02 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ChipB Quote
Instead of a case, have you considered a dry sack? I'd think it would be faster to stuff your camera in it if something came up real fast. Available at most outdoor type stores - REI, Academy, Dicks, etc.
Dry Bag is out. Too much time rolling it up and down and securing snap. Two of the boat owners suggested I only bring a hard case.

---------- Post added 08-04-18 at 21:19 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by AstroDave Quote
That's not "real simple"!

I did the river quite some time ago (in the pre-digital age). I had my ME with 28, 50, and 135 lenses and used about a roll of film a day. I do not remember feeling limited in focal length coverage. I had a dry bag for the equipment - and it went in and out a lot (6/8/10 times a day)! I think a rigid case would have been a nuisance. What kind of boat will you be using? In some situations, storage room and access may be an issue. Make sure everything you have floats! I even had a floatable strap attached to my glasses and had them tied to my life jacket as well (you don't go on the river without your life jacket!!!!!) - although if they went overboard, I doubt they could have been recovered.

While the guides will tell you when rapids are coming up, you want to be flexible and nimble with your gear.

If I was doing this now, I would take one camera and one lens - the 18-135 for APS-C (and just maybe my Sigma 10-20). Probably not a K-30 unless you are sure aperture block will not rear its ugly head.

Spend most of your time eyeballing nature, not worrying about the next picture!!
Four boats in our group. All are hard Sided River Dories built just for the Grand Canyon. This isn't a commercial trip.
I must muse at the suggestion of the Life Vest...….its a must all the time.
My one camera will be the K-r. Backup will be most likely a K-30. Lenses are DA 18-55 WR and DA 20-40 limited.
Extra lenses will be SMC-K 24 , 35 , 55 , and 135......that's it. The manual lenses only for quiet times about camp if needed.
I thought about forgoing the manual lenses completely , but HelenJo insists as she shoots efficiently much better than myself with old glass.
Im not at all concerned of aperture block failure, as I can shoot around that with the Manual lenses......Im a long term Pro at this.....lol.

No issue with storage at all. In fact we are having an issue with the exact opposite of having extra space ! They have two commercial dry boxes that are huge for the rest of our gear including camera space for a larger shared Pelican case.
My eye glasses are covered with 3 extra pairs including neck straps.

One issue Im having is batteries. There is NO way to recharge anything , so Im taking 16 DSTE and 4 Pentax Li90's......20 total ! Thank God they were only $7.50 each on Amazon.

HelenJo is taking her KP out when its calmer , and 2 WG's that each of us will have access to constantly. Also her share of extra batteries , lenses and such. Some things will be shared if needed.

Last edited by Ronald Oakes; 08-04-2018 at 11:26 PM.
08-04-2018, 10:24 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Already taken care of. Yellow is my first choice for visibility.[COLOR="Silver"]

i think your choice of Pelican is wise, faster to open and close, protection from rocks that you wouldn't get from a dry bag. There are solar chargers, although how much sunlight will you get in camp? Also power banks if you are looking for something to take up a little space.
08-04-2018, 11:23 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
i think your choice of Pelican is wise, faster to open and close, protection from rocks that you wouldn't get from a dry bag. There are solar chargers, although how much sunlight will you get in camp? Also power banks if you are looking for something to take up a little space.
Sunlight is sketchy in the canyon. In fact solar chargers aren't allowed on this one , and neither is any sort of computer or cell phone after Lees Ferry put-in on the first day...….. BYOB....bring your own batteries !

Click...Click...OPEN.
Click.... Click.....CLOSED...…...quick and simple.

After 9 hours of looking at cases , its pretty obvious.
I ordered a 1300 case , and a IM2075 case......Both are yellow and cost $95 total shipped for the pair.
08-05-2018, 04:29 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Click...Click...OPEN.
Click.... Click.....CLOSED...…...quick and simple.
Maybe, if you're able to stow the gear where you sit, otherwise you might need to ask people to move/get your case, etc. You might consider also getting something splash proof and able to be worn/carried easier than a Pelican case. It'll will be useful for keeping your camera handy when the going is not quite "Pelican" worthy. It'll also be handy for carrying gear when exploring/hiking when ashore.
08-05-2018, 04:38 AM - 2 Likes   #11
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Pelican?
They are the only cases I trust to put my gear in... unbreakable, watertight, dustproof, chemical resistant and corrosion proof and unconditionally guaranteed.
08-05-2018, 05:52 AM   #12
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
but HelenJo insists as she shoots efficiently much better than myself with old glass.
A girl after my own heart.
08-05-2018, 06:59 AM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
A girl after my own heart.
That's what happens with at least 70+ years of experience !

---------- Post added 08-05-18 at 07:02 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
Maybe, if you're able to stow the gear where you sit, otherwise you might need to ask people to move/get your case, etc. You might consider also getting something splash proof and able to be worn/carried easier than a Pelican case. It'll will be useful for keeping your camera handy when the going is not quite "Pelican" worthy. It'll also be handy for carrying gear when exploring/hiking when ashore.
There is only 4 people in our boat......Lots of room.
Although you bring up a good point of hiking/side trips.
08-05-2018, 07:02 AM   #14
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

That's what happens with at least 70+ years of experience !
I surprised she's even talking to you after what you've done to her wee dog...
08-05-2018, 07:58 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sunlight is sketchy in the canyon. In fact solar chargers aren't allowed on this one , and neither is any sort of computer or cell phone after Lees Ferry put-in on the first day.
No cell phones? That's awesome! I looked up your pelican models, good choices and lower priced than I thought. Please Show us some photos when you have them set up, I'd like to see what they look like loaded up.