Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 26 Likes Search this Thread
08-09-2018, 08:59 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
FWIW, blue painters' tape and a sharpie works well for temporary travel labeling. I use it for luggage, cases, fly rod tubes, etc. It's not always pretty, but it's always obvious.
I just tried it and it sticks pretty good...Thanks.
Im also having a helluva time tring to find a suitable adhesive that actually adheres to this reinforced plastic for lining it with high density foam...nothing sticks and it pulls off easily when dry......grrrrrr...

08-09-2018, 09:51 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ronald Oakes Quote
Im also having a helluva time tring to find a suitable adhesive that actually adheres to this reinforced plastic for lining it with high density foam...nothing sticks and it pulls off easily when dry......grrrrrr...
Plastics are notoriously difficult to bond to. You can try roughing the surface and using something like gorilla glue (with a little moisture added to the surface first) but it will be a friction bond and not really very strong. Epoxies for a most part will fail to bond as well. You might find a good tape that grabs it but even double sided tape doesn't seem great since I doubt that will stick to the foam. Is the existing foam held in by friction? It may be better to leave it alone and just live with the foam it came with. I know your main idea was to have a way to not have to customize the foam - what about cutting large blocks out of the bottom foam and then making custom inserts for those cutouts to fit your gear? Then you could swap the cutouts when you wanted to change gear.
08-09-2018, 09:53 AM - 1 Like   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I've used 3M Super 77 spray for similar gluing (foam to abs box for flies). A quick google and I found this at Pelican cases.com
08-09-2018, 10:01 AM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've used 3M Super 77 spray for similar gluing (foam to abs box for flies). A quick google and I found this at Pelican cases.com
I forgot about 3M Super 77! That might work! Good idea. I have used it for primarily paper on wood (where you don't want to use wood glue to avoid wetting the paper) or paper on plastic.

08-09-2018, 10:05 AM   #35
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Plastics are notoriously difficult to bond to. You can try roughing the surface and using something like gorilla glue (with a little moisture added to the surface first) but it will be a friction bond and not really very strong. Epoxies for a most part will fail to bond as well. You might find a good tape that grabs it but even double sided tape doesn't seem great since I doubt that will stick to the foam. Is the existing foam held in by friction? It may be better to leave it alone and just live with the foam it came with. I know your main idea was to have a way to not have to customize the foam - what about cutting large blocks out of the bottom foam and then making custom inserts for those cutouts to fit your gear? Then you could swap the cutouts when you wanted to change gear.
Gorilla adhesive double back tape....EPIC Fail !
Regular Gorilla Glue easily peels right off after its dry.....Fail !
Im trying some E6000 at the moment.....looks like it might work , but a long drying time......So far so good.

---------- Post added 08-09-18 at 10:06 ----------

I forgot about 3M Super 77! That might work! Good idea. I have used it for primarily paper on wood (where you don't want to use wood glue to avoid wetting the paper) or paper on plastic.
If the E6000 doesn't work....that will be next.
08-09-2018, 10:17 AM - 1 Like   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

More info from a thread on foam and pelican cases. Pelican case foam - what adhesive? | Expedition Portal The person suggesting that white elmers works makes me think you could try Titebond wood glue. I would suggest one of the more water resistant versions. I'm honestly surprised that white glue works so I'm skeptical.
08-09-2018, 10:28 AM   #37
Pentaxian

Original Poster
More info from a thread on foam and pelican cases. Pelican case foam - what adhesive? | Expedition Portal The person suggesting that white elmers works makes me think you could try Titebond wood glue. I would suggest one of the more water resistant versions. I'm honestly surprised that white glue works so I'm skeptical.
White Glue for Foam to Foam works fine. Its the Blue High density Foam to Case surface that's giving me fits.
Thanks for the article , 3-M spray might be next if the E6000 doesn't work. (looks like it is though)…..just so slow in drying . A little goes a long ways.

---------- Post added 08-09-18 at 10:32 ----------

Also...my case is small internally , so I have to get the maximum out of my 9'' x 7" x 6" high space. Even a 1/2" loss on each side messes my plan/idea up.

---------- Post added 08-09-18 at 10:55 ----------

Thanks....somehow I missed the link. If this is what Pelican recommends , Im off to get a can shortly ! E6000 works , but so slow in drying that I simply don't have the patience.

Last edited by Ronald Oakes; 08-09-2018 at 10:49 AM.
08-10-2018, 12:42 PM   #38
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Ok....I got it all done except for a tiny removeable divider.
The 1300 case is just about the right size for what I need.
I tossed the supplied Pick-Pluck foam as it just wasn't working out , and instead I used a Blue high density Camp Pad from Walmart and cut/glued it to fit perfect.
Glued in a piece in the case lid and raised the Egg crate foam to actually protrude into the lower part of the case a bit.That helps to put a little snug pressure on whatever Camera is in it .
I found the 3-M spray adhesive worked best , but it still took some pressure and weight to get it to adhere properly.
The E6000 adhesive also works equally well.
K-1 fits length wise only with the DFA 28-105 lens and a bit of length to spare.
KP fits either length wise with nearly any zoom or prime I own (shown with 18-55 WR) , or sideways in the case and there is easily enough room for a longer lens and a Prime.
Im quite happy as now I have a good quality case that stows a body quickly and easily.
The supplied foam was too light weight , had little structural integrity , and was Open-Cell prone to water absorption and easily damaged......just wasn't working for me.
Wallet , Keys , liscense , etc.....all easily stored and accessed as needed.

Remember....I didn't want a travel storage case for a lot of gear , but instead wanted a quick storage case for use on a Canoe , Kayak , or other water craft that was protected from bumps , bruises , and spray ! I only plan on using a single body and at the most 1-2 lenses while on the water.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 

Last edited by Ronald Oakes; 08-10-2018 at 12:50 PM.
08-10-2018, 02:10 PM - 1 Like   #39
Pentaxian

IN our 1300 We stack the camera vertically. Tess gets 3 lenses and a body in hers. I just got out the case but she'd have to mess around to show me how she does it. If you're interested I'll

08-10-2018, 03:26 PM   #40
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I managed to put in a small moveable divider. Can handle KP , K-30 or KR and three lenses. One wide zoom and two or three Primes.
This is more than I will ever use on a single outing.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
FinePix S2000HD  Photo 
08-10-2018, 03:44 PM - 1 Like   #41
Pentaxian

Very cool looking set up. The plastic on the lenses is a great idea. There are times you might get water splashed in the case.

Now I'm getting pumped to see photos.

Last edited by normhead; 08-10-2018 at 06:21 PM.
08-10-2018, 05:20 PM   #42
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Very cool looking set up. The plastic on the lenses is a great idea. There are times you might get water plashed in the case.

Now I'm getting pumped to see photos.
I leave on October 1st for Lees Ferry. Going to play around for a few days at Coyote Buttes , and White Pocket before I meet HelenJo at Page...….then off to the River !
Being in Ariz we have no humidity really to speak of. Plastic Baggies have been a staple against dirt and dust for years on my lenses.
My Lens cases have been Can Huggies or "Coozies" from WalMart…..lol. Only .96 each and they work great for lenses !
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
FinePix S2000HD  Photo 

Last edited by Ronald Oakes; 08-10-2018 at 05:26 PM.
08-10-2018, 05:39 PM - 1 Like   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I leave on October 1st for Lees Ferry. Going to play around for a few days at Coyote Buttes , and White Pocket before I meet HelenJo at Page...….then off to the River !
Being in Ariz we have no humidity really to speak of. Plastic Baggies have been a staple against dirt and dust for years on my lenses.
My Lens cases have been Can Huggies or "Coozies" from WalMart…..lol. Only .96 each and they work great for lenses !
Using coozies for lens protectors is a neat idea! And nice seeing how you've made use of the Pelican case.
08-10-2018, 05:48 PM   #44
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChipB Quote
Using coozies for lens protectors is a neat idea! And nice seeing how you've made use of the Pelican case.
Thanks ! Now for the shower test with an empty Case.....lol
Want to make sure it doesn't leak after all this work....
08-11-2018, 06:19 AM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Nice job customizing the case. You might want to consider making accommodations for a spare battery and polarizing filter.