Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2008, 02:37 PM   #1

best *ist D memory?

Hello all,

I've been snooping this thread for a fortnight looking for the best entry to DSLR's for myself, eventually plumping for a used *ist D from KEH. (I don't like menu's)

I've been a happy home user of the excellent ME super for over 25 years now, so I've a few OK lenses to play with, but I need a bit of a pointer to the best/ fastest memory card to put in. I know it's a bit of a moveable feast, and I'm sure the fastest cards will exceed the camera's ability to write. I'm just a regular guy, shooting family and holiday stuff, manual focus only until I can justifiy the extra expense of an Autofous lens. Probably will use the burst mode however, hopefully at a decent resolution.

I'm also wondering if I can plug the camera straight into my Mac's iPhoto, with the appropriate cable so if you have an Istdee, and can spare the time, I'd be glad of the help.

regards

duncan

09-17-2008, 03:43 PM   #2
Site Supporter

ist-D does not write to CF very fast....so if you spring for a really fast CF card, you won't see any benefit in the camera. If you use a card reader however, you will be able to speed things up a bit on the computer when downloading the pics from the card to your PC. Personally I use the Sandisk Ultra II CF cards. Its plenty fast for me, and back when I bought em, they were really cheap.

I don't use a cable to transfer so I can't comment on that part of your question. Perhaps others can help you out there.

mark
09-17-2008, 06:50 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The *istD is is a great little camera, especially if you have a lot of K mount lenses, because it has TTL flash and does not need apature information to do flash metering, BUT in JPEG mode, the buffer is full after about 10-12 shots, even with the fastest memory cards.

I use a Sandisk Extreme II 4 GB card, which has capacity for over 1000 shots.

Forget the cable to the computer, I believe it is USB 1.1. Get a card reader, it goes much faster for downloads, as well as not running your batteries down in the process.

To be honest, the sopeed never bothered me at all and I was quite happy with the camera until I got my K10D, where at 10MP you can shoot at 3FPS until the card is full. Now the 10-12 shots seems a restriction.
09-18-2008, 12:57 AM   #4

Original Poster
thanks for the advice,

I got a Sandisk 2GB for starters, with a card reader.
Cheap as chips.

next project is to upgrade firmware from 1.0.

I guess I will need a cable for this one?

09-18-2008, 03:22 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dunc Quote
thanks for the advice,

I got a Sandisk 2GB for starters, with a card reader.
Cheap as chips.

next project is to upgrade firmware from 1.0.

I guess I will need a cable for this one?
Not at all

the upgrade to 1.3 is done by loading a file on to the root directory of the CF card, and then powering on while holding (if i remember correctly) the menu button
09-18-2008, 03:36 AM   #6
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

The firmwae page is here;
Pentax Imaging - Software & Firmaware Updates
Follow the instructions exactly as shown and you won't have any trouble updating the camera.

with the update info quoted:
CHANGES FOR V.1.12

* Support for 4GB and higher memory cards.

CHANGES FOR V.1.11

* This version of the *istD firmware will fully prepare your camera for use with the Pentax Remote Assistant software (available as a separate download). The Remote Assistant software will allow you to control various *istD functions from your computer.
* Click here for a PDF datasheet (8.29kb) discussing changes in firmware versions 1.10 and 1.11 in more detail.

CHANGES FOR V.1.10

* You can use the HyM (hyper manual) function when your lens aperture ring is set to a position other than the "A" position.
* You can use EV compensation in the M (manual) mode.
* If you are using the auto bracketing mode and the camera automatically powers down after a period of inactivity, the auto bracketing mode will not be cancelled.
Note that turning off your camera normally will cancel the auto bracketing mode. This enhancement only applies when the *istD engages its auto-power-off function.
* The file format and file system of the *istD are compatible with the EXIF 2.21 and the DCF 2.0 standards.
When you set [Color Space] in the *istD custom function menu to [Adobe RGB], your TIFF and JPEG image file names will change from "IMGPxxxx" to "_IGPxxxx" where "xxxx" is a 4 digit numeral.
09-18-2008, 05:39 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Lowel and Peter have pretty well said everything - I am quite happy with my istDees and for the type and amount of shooting you say you do, you will be TOO.

Have fun.

@Peter or anyone else

Where's this Remote Assistant download??
09-18-2008, 05:51 AM   #8
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

I don't use it on my *istD JC but it's at the near the bottom of this page with the other software updates:

09-18-2008, 10:07 AM   #9

Original Poster
woo hooo.

done it, with your help.

this is amazing!
Now I can use all 3 of my lenses!

I love this camera. No bullshit "Sunset fill in flash portrait in the rain" settings to confuse me.

Just numbers. I'm a happy man.

thanks for all the help.

dunc
09-18-2008, 10:36 AM   #10
Veteran Member

As some one mentioned the istD is slowwwwwww to write to a card, so i just used normal 1 gig cards.

I say used to, as i have recently sold it. The D700 fund has started.:-)

Dave
09-18-2008, 10:37 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
I don't use it on my *istD JC but it's at the near the bottom of this page with the other software updates:
Thanks Peter - sometimes (well almost all the time) I'm am so f-in blind.

@dunc
WHAT! You're not using the istD in the rain without protection are you?
09-21-2008, 06:42 PM   #12

Hello, I'm new to Pentax (recently purchased a used *istd) and only minutes into the forum. I want to upgrade the firmware in this camera from 1.0 to 1.12, which, I believe, is the latest version. I formated the card in the camera, downloaded, unzipped, copied the file to the card, inserted the card to the camera, turned the camera on while holding the "menu" button--(drum roll)--nothing happened. I'm still on v. 1.0. where have I gone wrong?