Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-07-2018, 01:32 PM   #1

Location: Milky Way Galaxy, Planet Earth, Speeding towards the Virgo Supercluster
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Focus Screen Compatability

Just wondering if the film era screens (ME, MX, ME SUPER, etc.) will work in the K-3/K-5 series cams.

I remember having a split screen in my film cam & wondering if it might be intechangeable?

Thought I'd ask before trying the switch.

08-07-2018, 01:44 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

They would be too large for the crop bodies, but regardless I think the answer is no. However, there are compatible screens that you can swap in, both from Pentax and third parties.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-07-2018, 02:30 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The only ones with a split image are the ones from China that you see at online auction sites.
08-07-2018, 02:41 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Focusing Screen has several options for most of the Pentax bodies. Most people seem to get on fine with them.

08-07-2018, 02:57 PM - 1 Like   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
Focusing Screen has several options for most of the Pentax bodies. Most people seem to get on fine with them.
The thing to bear in mind with any of these focusing screens is that you might need shims to get them positioned such that they match the point at which the lens is accurately focused. So far as I'm aware, they don't come with these shims (the one I bought some time ago didn't). As such, whilst you might be lucky and not need any shims, there's a possibility that a little DIY will be required.

The biggest issue with a third-party focusing screen - especially the split-prism type - is that it'll affect your camera's metering. It'll be reasonably accurate much of the time for matrix metering (with some adjustment), somewhat less accurate for centre-weighted, and absolutely useless for spot metering.

I'd also say that if you're shooting with fast aperture lenses and want near-perfect focusing, given today's high-resolution sensors, you may well a third-party focusing screen to be quite limited in accuracy compared to Live View focusing. They can work quite well, but it takes technique and a little luck to get the focus absolutely spot-on.
08-07-2018, 04:40 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
Strange but there seems to be no 45deg dual split screens on this page. The $20 ebay ones are still there. I've installed 4 of these and never needed shims.
08-07-2018, 06:32 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You could cut a film camera screen down to fit an APS-C camera. I thought this was too much trouble and too easy to screw up. Also, the split prism may take up too much of the screen.

Shimming the screen is not that bad, it just means installing the screen, adding or subtracting shims, then checking to see if it's right. I used tape instead of finding shims.

Spot metering will be wrong enough to be unusable. My screen does not affect other metering modes as far as I can tell.

08-07-2018, 07:01 PM   #8
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I found spot metering to be usable if the aperture (for the metering) was at (about) f/2.8 as I recall. I had made up a table of e.v. corrections versus aperture, but in the end I stopped using it (my e.v. corrections) and did w/o spot metering--but it did work except it slowed things down--and other ways of doing things worked better for me.
08-07-2018, 09:19 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
The thing to bear in mind with any of these focusing screens is that you might need shims to get them positioned such that they match the point at which the lens is accurately focused. So far as I'm aware, they don't come with these shims (the one I bought some time ago didn't).
I ordered mine from that very site for my K-30, I believe back in 2014, and it did include some shims.

The biggest issue with a third-party focusing screen - especially the split-prism type - is that it'll affect your camera's metering. It'll be reasonably accurate much of the time for matrix metering (with some adjustment), somewhat less accurate for centre-weighted, and absolutely useless for spot metering.
Except for the S-Type (cut down Canon Ee-S?) with no aid in the center (just Super Precision Matte all over), right?
08-08-2018, 12:48 AM   #10
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Scintilla Quote
I ordered mine from that very site for my K-30, I believe back in 2014, and it did include some shims.
Interesting. It sounds like they're inconsistent , at the very least, since that's where I bought mine too - and around the same time.

Except for the S-Type (cut down Canon Ee-S?) with no aid in the center (just Super Precision Matte all over), right?
Perhaps... But then I don't see why you'd install one of those. The OEM screens are already very good. It's just the focusing aid, more than anything, that most of us fitting a new screen are looking for.
08-08-2018, 07:08 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Perhaps... But then I don't see why you'd install one of those. The OEM screens are already very good. It's just the focusing aid, more than anything, that most of us fitting a new screen are looking for.
Huh, really? I don't know if the screens in the higher-end (or newer) cameras are better in this regard, but on my K-30, the stock screen just had far too much DoF to get accurate manual focusing. Getting the S-Type screen did wonders.

Admittedly, when I later bought a Bronica (I had never shot film before), I discovered how cool a microprism aid is -- but it only works in the center.
08-09-2018, 12:00 PM   #12
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Huh, really? I don't know if the screens in the higher-end (or newer) cameras are better in this regard, but on my K-30, the stock screen just had far too much DoF to get accurate manual focusing. Getting the S-Type screen did wonders.
I have to defer to your experience on that, as I've never used the S-Type screen. I've read that it tends to offer a considerably darker view than the type C screen with slower aperture lenses... so if you're shooting a lens with a maximum f/2.8 aperture, for example, it will be roughly a stop and a quarter darker than the C screen. I assume that, since the metering is behind the focus screen, that requires EV compensation on our digital SLRs?

Canon Ec-S Focusing Screen Review | Points in Focus Photography

Like all of these things, I guess it could work extremely well for some people but not for others, depending on their needs and priorities.

I find the screen in the K-3 and K-3II OK for manual focusing when combined with the O-ME53 magnifying eyecup. It's not great, but serviceable enough...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 08-09-2018 at 12:14 PM.