Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
5 Days Ago - 1 Like   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why is the CDAF faster in Pentax K-01 as compared to KS1 or K-3 or K-50?

Over the past few years I have purchased a few used pentax bodies - namely K3, K50, KS1 and quite recently the K-01.

Now my query is in regard to autofocusing while using live view. Now all of the above mentioned cameras use contrast detect autofocus in live view. Before continuing let me mention amongst the above mentioned camera bodies K3 is supposed to the most powerful with semi pro features. The K-01 is the oldest amongst the lot [came out in 2012] followed by K-3 and K-50 which came out in 2013 and finally K-S1 which came out in 2014. The K-01 is not a dslr but I believe all cameras use the process when it comes to live view autofocusing. Also there is no mirror flap clicking pics with the K-01. Now I recently had purchased the k-01 and to my surprise focused faster and less silently as compared to the above mentioned dslrs. I used a pentax da 50mm f1.8 lens and focused on a well lit bunch of flowers on a vase. I also shot some pics of objects in dim light . In both cases The older technology based K-01 focused faster than the newer K-3, K50 and K-S1. Its not like k-0l has any special advantages as far as a lens is concerned as it uses the KAF mount and a dslr lens focuses faster on it. Anyone care to explain what is the secret recipe which lets K-01 focus faster as compared to other bodies?

5 Days Ago   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The K-3 and K-S1 have higher MP sensors and may need more processing power and or time for CDAF therefore, if that's the case the K50 should be really close to the K-01 because I believe they share the same sensor.
5 Days Ago   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by othar Quote
The K-3 and K-S1 have higher MP sensors and may need more processing power and or time for CDAF therefore, if that's the case the K50 should be really close to the K-01 because I believe they share the same sensor.
Thanks for replying

I doubt it as all three bodies focus hunt for around half to 1 second while it's comparitively faster on k-01. Amongst the three k3 locks focus fastest so I doubt it's size of the sensor
5 Days Ago   #4
Pentaxian

Itís not only the bodies; the lens that you use has an impact. For example, the 55-300 PLM focuses very rapidly indeed.

5 Days Ago   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Perhaps the sensor is slightly different and offers more advantages than we knew?
5 Days Ago   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A number of years ago I also came to the same conclusion. The easiest and most plausible explanation is that Pentax only had to focus their attention on CDAF for the K-01. Less code to put into the firmware, less bugs, so the focus algorithm is slightly more tuned than the other bodies.

QuoteQuote:
For anyone who's considering the K-3 for purely live view mode, please consider that it is a tad slower than the K-01 when using live view. Is it considerably slower? No, but noticeable if you've used them both. test notes below.

Live View Test:
-Shooting a white wall 10ft away; the room has natural sunlight coming in. This setup forces the lens to zoom to each distance extreme before obtaining focus.
-Pentax FA 50mm f/1.4 lens.
-I start the stop watch when I press the trigger, and stop it when the live view point turns green (indicating focus lock).
-This was averaged out over about 20 shots for each camera. I say "about" because sometimes it would not lock focus.

K-01 will obtain focus time in 1.6 seconds fastest, 2.1 seconds slowest
K-3 obtained focus time 1.8 seconds fastest, 2.2 seconds slowest

Read more at: K-3 vs K-01 Live View Focus Speed - K-01 Wins! - PentaxForums.com

Last edited by rmtschanz; 5 Days Ago at 07:35 AM.
4 Days Ago   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rmtschanz Quote
A number of years ago I also came to the same conclusion. The easiest and most plausible explanation is that Pentax only had to focus their attention on CDAF for the K-01. Less code to put into the firmware, less bugs, so the focus algorithm is slightly more tuned than the other bodies.
Thanks for replying. What you mentioned makes sense.

I guess in the processing chip they only had to input instructions on how focusing works in regard to contrast detect and no need to input any instructions in regards to phase detect af.

I wish Pentax release a new mirrorless body with next generation Sensor and chip. The k-01 is a great camera (ignoring it's looks) !