Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 36 Likes Search this Thread
08-24-2018, 01:44 PM - 1 Like   #61
Brooke Meyer

Its simple to use manual flash. And you'll have full control and consistency. That's what the students in my Portraiture class discovered yesterday while out doors. Set your ambient exposure, maybe a little underexposed and decide on direction to add flash and adjust power to taste. We emulated the sun with a 1/2 CTO gel.

As far as a lens, I bought a 50-135 new in 2009 and its still the money maker. You can easily answer your own question about shallow DoF by simply plugging in all the variables with a free online DoF calculator.

08-25-2018, 04:36 AM   #62
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Incidentally, my daughter who is in high school and a budding photographer wanted to the fashion shoot thing with a friend. She is getting quite handy with a DSLR but usually sticks to auto everything mode. She asked my advice on how to get a "blurry background."

She wanted to concentrate on full length portraits, so I told her to take the K-x and M 50mm f/1.7. I showed her the diopter adjustment on the eyepiece and how to meter with the green button. I also told her to keep the aperture on f/1.7, focus carefully (with live view when ambient light allows it) and pose the aspiring model with the background as far away as possible. As I backup plan she took the Sigma 70-300mm along, in case the all manual mode didn't work out.

The nifty fifty did the trick. She posed the model very well, nailed the focus and exposure and got some splendid shots. Spectacular in fact, for a beginner. Especially when you consider that I paid about $50 for the camera and lens combined!

This thread probably helped me to give good advice. Thanks to all involved.
08-28-2018, 12:45 PM   #63
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
This thread probably helped me to give good advice.
glad i could help.. ;-)
08-28-2018, 08:07 PM   #64
Veteran Member

Some street shots I took with da200 a while ago
Portait shots Sept 9 - Steve's Digicams Forums

08-29-2018, 01:22 AM   #65
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by grispie Quote
what would you do to get nice very shallow bokeh portraits?
Is run your subjects over with a steamroller the correct answer?
08-31-2018, 12:42 AM   #66
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
I'd recommend choosing your shooting distance and focal length based on what it does to the face as your first priority, then just do what you can with the background.
QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
Obviously different FLs provide different perspectives and AoV, so some people will like certain FLs better.
I keep wondering if the focal length i used last summer (fa31) is a tad too wide for environmental portraits, creating a bit of distortion..
grimaud - christophe gryspeert
grimaud - christophe gryspeert
as opposed to what the da70 does e.g.?
willemijn - christophe gryspeert

the latter looks far more flattering to me..

---------- Post added 08-31-18 at 09:47 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
So outdoor use the 135/2,5 (54mm opening) or 82/2 (42,5mm). Indoors probably 70/2,4 or 85/2 are good options.
& i do recall for indoor shooting & to get sthing like this with the da70, i really needed quite some space.. which in some places really is not available.