Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 25 Likes Search this Thread
08-10-2018, 01:49 PM   #1

Options for a backup body to my K3

So my son leaves next week for college, and he's taking (my) his K-30 with him, leaving me with only a single DSLR body, again. And we just got the dadgum K-30 fixed earlier this year. So I'm wondering, as I'm getting more into the hobby, again, what the best option may be for a backup body, or alternate body, to complement my K-3. To be sure, I like the K-3. Aside from the loose nut behind the viewfinder, it is a great camera. But a new K-3 isn't the answer, partly because it's not a readily available option, and partly because it would be terribly redundant and offer no expansion of capability or utility. I'm not in the budget arena to afford even a used K-1, so that's not a good option. But I might be able to justify a used body in APS-C format. Obviously there are a lot of options, ranging from another K-30 (which doesn't seem to make much sense, as I can get a K-50 for the same price, or a K-5 for the same or less money). I'm not sure either is more capable than the K-30, but they offer some additional features, it seems. The K-5 is an interesting option, but it is a dated design, and while the controls appear to be fairly similar to the K-3's, which would help with keeping things intuitive, would I lose enough going backward to warrant spending the extra to get a newer body? The K-70 is intriguing, though it lacks the similar control layout and semi-pro features of the K-3. I've read it has better low light performance, which I would appreciate, I'm sure. I also like the idea of having in-camera wifi, but that's also available via wifi-enabled SD cards now, fairly cheaply. Obviously a K-3ii would be great, but it's also close to $700 used, and over $800 new. I'd like to spend less than that. I'd really like to spend less than $500. Free would be even better, still!

So for y'all who've used the K-3 and some of these other cameras, what compares, what do I give up (aside from the obvious stuff based on the comparison tool here on the forum), and where is the sweet spot for price versus value? I sort of feel like it's the K-5iis, but maybe I'd be just as well to grab a used K-3 and have a matched pair?

08-10-2018, 02:08 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Currently on my desk is a K10D, K5, K3 and K-1. All are very capable cameras in their own rights. For obvious reasons, the K-1 and K3 are my most used. The K5 series was the best of the 16mpx sensor and one of the best bodies by Pentax in my opinion. But it is getting a bit old technology wise. It still goes to weddings with me as my third camera and still produces great results.

It really comes down to what you want to spend. For what they currently sell for, the K5 is great. For a couple hundred more, you can have another K3, and somewhere in there you could get the K70. I don’t think you’d go wrong with any of the three.
08-10-2018, 02:16 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
A KS2 or K70 would add a flippy screen for low angle shots and macro. Another K3 would have the better build and same control layout.
08-10-2018, 02:23 PM   #4
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

when I replaced my K-50 as my backup, I went with a used K-3 to complement the K-3 I already had....

same battery, same settings, same control arrangement

this way, when I switch from camera to camera, no matter what lens I'm using or what I'm shooting, the camera in my hand is identical to the one I just set down and I don't have to remember another camera's set up....

08-10-2018, 02:49 PM - 1 Like   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

^^^ I agree. Whilst having something slightly different is tempting because of the very differences it might offer, the convenience of having exactly the same controls, batteries, accessories, image quality etc. wins in the end. So, if I were you, I'd pick up another lightly-used K-3.

Alternatively, if you don't want to spend as much, the K-5 series - even the original model - is a good choice. I still have my "old", much-used K-5 and I like it as much as the day I got it. I think nothing of using it interchangeably with the K-3, and of course it uses the same batteries, which is nice, and most of the same accessories (battery grip excluded). Of course, it's not quite as good as the K-3 in some ways... the AF isn't as advanced (though I've never had any real problems with my own K-5), there's less resolution to play with for cropping, it has an AA filter, it only uses one SD card, the back-button placement for AF isn't as natural etc. etc. But it's a remarkably good body, and you can pick up lightly-used examples for very little money now...
08-10-2018, 03:20 PM - 1 Like   #6

Original Poster
Is there any reason to consider the K-3ii at this point? Is it better than the K-3 I have? What do I gain with it aside from the GPS feature built in? I keep coming back to two thoughts. First, I really like the idea of the K-5iis, which would be as close to an immediate predecessor to the K-3 in my bag currently, as I think I could get, and at a reasonably good price. But, second, it's a step back regardless, and won't bring the low light performance of later models (though it may be equal to the K-3?), and it's not compatible with KAF4 lenses. I don't currently own one of those, but I suspect my wife is considering the PLM zoom to put under the tree this December for me. Would I be hamstrung with a body I couldn't use one of my cadre of lenses on? Seems like I'm overthinking it, as I could easily use the PLM zoom on the K-3, and keep a 50mm prime or even my terrific 18-135WR on the other body and be about as well prepared as a hobbyist could be.

The good news is, I don't have to decide immediately, as my K-3 seems to be working just fine, about 10% into it's estimated lifespan.

Last edited by dubyam; 08-10-2018 at 03:28 PM.
08-10-2018, 03:26 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The advantages of a K-3II are that as well as not having to learn a new control layout, you’d get GPS, Astrotracer, pixel shift, and improved AF - including the ability to pan with SR on. You’d lose the built in flash though, if that’s a concern for you.

08-10-2018, 03:37 PM - 1 Like   #8
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dubyam Quote
Is there any reason to consider the K-3ii at this point? Is it better than the K-3 I have? What do I gain with it aside from the GPS feature built in?
QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
The advantages of a K-3II are that as well as not having to learn a new control layout, you’d get GPS, Astrotracer, pixel shift, and improved AF - including the ability to pan with SR on. You’d lose the built in flash though, if that’s a concern for you.
I bought the K-3II (heavily discounted at the time) as a backup to my K-3, with a view to it becoming my main camera in time as my K-3 got more heavily-used. I don't use it all that often, but I do use it. For me, the lack of built-in flash isn't a problem, as I rarely use that capability on the K-3 (though I know many people do). However, I also don't use GPS, Astrotracer or pixel shift on the K-3II... I tried GPS and pixel shift, and they work very well - but I just don't need them for what I do. So, basically, I have a K-3II that - for me - fulfils the role a K-3 without a built-in flash, which is fine. I'm not sure I've noticed any significant improvement in AF, but that's probably down to my photographic activities rather than the camera.

If you think you'll use the extra features - I mean, really use them, rather than play with them a little - then the K-3II might be a useful step up for you. Otherwise, for the savings you'll make, I'd stick with the K-3.
08-10-2018, 04:53 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I shoot regularly with 3 models. My older K-5 IIs, which is similar in design to the K-3, my smallest and lightest K-S2, which is similar in design to the K-70, and my latest from last year, the KP, which is similar in design to neither of the other two. Yet I was able to acclimate quickly to the controls and features of the other two bodies after being used to the K-5 and K-5 IIs. Now, I can switch between them without effort.

Previously, i shot with a K20D, K200D, and the K-r for my smallest, all of which were different from each other and again different from the present set, although there are some similarities among the Pentax familiar line of DSLRs.

I would say the K-70 makes the most sense as a secondary body to your pro-style K-3. It is a lighter body if you need that for portability, and it offers some other advantages over your K-3 when needed, such as the articulating screen, superior low light/high ISO performance, and yet more updated features also. Depending on your needs, you would then take one or the other or both. With its 24mp sensor, you would lose no resolution capability. It would be a useful extension of your kit at a reasonable price.
08-10-2018, 05:07 PM   #10
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

First

I suggest you look at not buying anything until after September 1 and consider in the mean time entering the contest for the K 1 or K 1 II that the forums might be giving away at the end of the month:

The community must reach 45,000 posts . . .

At that point, 3 threads will be created 8 hours apart, and the first 80 posters in each will get a raffle entry

Automatic raffle entry if you have 180+ posts

Raffle participants must have at least 10 forum posts in the month of the raffle

The winner is drawn at random, and we will ship a K-1 to the winner

If the community reaches 51,000 posts by the end of the month, the prize gets upgraded to a K-1 II

Read more at: Pentax K-1 Triple Giveaway: Summer 2018 - Giveaways and Events | PentaxForums.com

Second

should you fail to win, then by following this link, you can compare the K 3, K 3 II and the K 1

I personally have the K 3 and K 3 II and their battery grips

Pentax K-3 II vs. Pentax K-3 vs. Pentax K-1 - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com
08-10-2018, 05:18 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
First

I suggest you look at not buying anything until after September 1 and consider in the mean time entering the contest for the K 1 or K 1 II that the forums might be giving away at the end of the month:

The community must reach 45,000 posts . . .

At that point, 3 threads will be created 8 hours apart, and the first 80 posters in each will get a raffle entry

Automatic raffle entry if you have 180+ posts

Raffle participants must have at least 10 forum posts in the month of the raffle

The winner is drawn at random, and we will ship a K-1 to the winner

If the community reaches 51,000 posts by the end of the month, the prize gets upgraded to a K-1 II

Read more at: Pentax K-1 Triple Giveaway: Summer 2018 - Giveaways and Events | PentaxForums.com

Second

should you fail to win, then by following this link, you can compare the K 3, K 3 II and the K 1

I personally have the K 3 and K 3 II and their battery grips

Pentax K-3 II vs. Pentax K-3 vs. Pentax K-1 - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com
Well, that is a good idea regardless. But if getting a K-70 for its own merits, and also winning a K-1 for free, it would not be a bad thing to have all three for their separate merits. The K-70 would still be there as a small, portable alternative which has its own features.

OTOH, by waiting, since it is true that Pentax has had no $500 price range DSLR since the K-S2, the price of the K-70 might drop some.
08-10-2018, 05:32 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

If I were in your shoes, my first pick would be a K-3II. Same battery, grip, & controls with slightly better AF & GPS. Not having a flash wouldn't bother me.

My second pick would be a K-70 for
the IQ & articulated screen at a reasonable price.

My 3rd pick would be the KP for its ultimate image quality & newer features.
08-10-2018, 08:23 PM   #13

Photos: Gallery
choose the new models of Pentax k-s2 or even a K3II are newer models and the second option has the pixel shift.
08-11-2018, 01:26 AM   #14

I would wait until Fotokina in September, just in case Pentax announces something that affects current market prices.

Then, if nothing changes, as a pro, another K-3 would make all the sense. As an amateur, though, a K-S2 or K-70 would offer a significant reduction on weight and some video possibilities with the articulated screen. For compatibility reasons, a K-5 might be considered, but it's not really that different and as heavy. In any case, all are excellent cameras.

Good luck!

08-11-2018, 02:02 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Given the OP's stated needs, I reckon the K-S2 would be perfect. It has features the K-3 lacks (smaller form factor, fully articulated screen, native Wi-Fi, selfie mode) while still having WR and great image quality.

That very combination served me very well at the exceptionally wet "Groovin' The Moo" festival three years ago.

Some images from the K-S1