Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2018, 09:57 PM - 1 Like   #31

Wow...that's very cool and generous on the part of your Godfather! Great story, and a real tribute to the kind of folks active on PF.

08-20-2018, 10:40 PM - 2 Likes   #32

Original Poster
Just ran a quick check on the manufacture date. I'm shocked. I knew the camera looked practically new, but this thing is nearly brand new! I'll push it to tenfold that number in less than a year, I suspect!
Attached Images

08-21-2018, 01:02 AM - 1 Like   #33
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dubyam Quote
To bring some closure to this thread - for now - I'll go ahead and further illuminate the solution I found. After I posted this thread, during the discussion, a member of the forum contacted me via PM to lament the pending lack of disposable income I would have with my son off at college. He also invoked a little Corleone humor, making me an offer I couldn't refuse. At his insistence, I am now the proud owner of a lightly used K-5, as his gift to me. He apparently had too many camera bodies lying around and figured this would get good use if he sent it to me. He did make me promise to do him a favor and pass the gift along when the time was right. I'm already contemplating getting a photography merit badge instructor certification and finding a worthy Scout who may be able to use this camera as a loaner for now, and perhaps when I am ready to upgrade, eventually, making a gift to a Scout at that time to get him started. I'll be sure to include a kit lens and perhaps an extra 50mm prime.

I won't identify the member, though he may at his own discretion (or peril?), but I am humbled by the gesture, and thrilled with the new K-5 sitting on my desk tonight. I hope to post some great images from both this K-5 and my K-3 here over the next few months and years. Thanks again for all the advice and counsel on what to get to back up my K-3. It's an amazing forum, for sure. And thank you, to my Godfather.
There are some exceptionally good people here on the forums, even if they may make the occasional "offer that can't be refused"

Seriously, it warms my heart to see such generosity - and I know it's not that uncommon around here.

I think the K-5 is a good partner to the K-3. The button layout is fairly close (even if I can get confused by the different placement of the AF button), and having the same battery will make life easier. Enjoy your new friend!
08-21-2018, 01:39 AM - 1 Like   #34
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

a member of the forum contacted me via PM... He apparently had too many camera bodies lying around and figured this would get good use if he sent it to me. He did make me promise to do him a favor and pass the gift along when the time was right.
What a wonderful and generous gesture. Kudos to your benefactor for such a selfless act, and I hope you get much enjoyment from that almost-new camera (the K-5 is fantastic - really top notch, even now)

08-21-2018, 09:06 AM - 2 Likes   #35

Original Poster
I was absolutely floored. It amazes me in this day and age, when the news is almost always bad news, there is so much discord, and folks hiding behind the anonymity of a keyboard and internet feed have the ability and frequent proclivity to behave as rude, obnoxious, mean, hateful sub-humans, that now and then, along comes someone who chooses to do something great for someone they have never met in person. What makes this even more impactful for me is that I am currently looking for a new job, after the company for which I worked was bought by a large conglomerate and all of us from the startup were let go (literally every employee), and this gesture goes a long way to helping maintain my hope in good outcomes. Thankfully, the company took good care of us, and I have savings to tide us over for a while during the search, but if you've ever been out of work, you know how easy it is to lose hope during the process, and I cannot express sincerely enough my gratitude for this generous gift.
08-21-2018, 12:54 PM - 1 Like   #36
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I have savings to tide us over for a while during the search, but if you've ever been out of work, you know how easy it is to lose hope during the process, and I cannot express sincerely enough my gratitude for this generous gift.
I've been there, so I know how worrying it can be. Keep your chin up, and I wish you every success in finding a new position.

The sincerity in your appreciation towards the member who gifted you the camera is obvious, and clearly demonstrates you're worthy of the gesture.

My best to you both
08-21-2018, 05:19 PM - 1 Like   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Agreed, wonderful gesture. Things like this are much better to read than yet another tirade about how useless many aspects of Pentax cameras are.

08-22-2018, 02:31 PM   #38

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
Agreed, wonderful gesture. Things like this are much better to read than yet another tirade about how useless many aspects of Pentax cameras are.
I'll tell you the one, singular, useless and frustrating aspect of literally every Pentax camera I've ever owned: Not one of them has instantly made me in to a professional grade photographic artist! I keep buying new cameras every 5yrs or so, upgrading from point & shoot to entry-level DSLR, then to flagship DSLR, and dadgum, my photography skills are pretty much coming along at a snail's pace, with respect to the features I'm buying and the added lenses I'm purchasing to leverage those features. Why can't Pentax build a camera which makes me a great photographer overnight?
08-22-2018, 02:33 PM   #39
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
. . . Why can't Pentax build a camera which makes me a great photographer overnight?
hmm

that would be cheating
08-22-2018, 02:43 PM   #40

Original Poster
I prefer the term, "...maximizing one's resources..."
08-25-2018, 10:57 AM   #41
pxt

It is a good idea
08-26-2018, 04:44 AM - 1 Like   #42

...Why can't Pentax build a camera which makes me a great photographer overnight?
Hah! And too be prived of the joy of thousands of failures, closed eyes, almost good light, a bit too flurry, I wish I had my 18/35/300mm with me, oh how much I hate this computer! ??? No way! :-D

Anyway, good luck on the job hunting, and congrats on the K-5 (and such an elegant and beautiful gesture!): we all know it's in very good hands!

Cheers!
08-26-2018, 06:18 AM   #43

Original Poster
Thanks, Excalibur. Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately?) The arena in which I work is highly volatile, and this is the fourth time since 2008 I find myself in this position of looking for a job after a corporate downsizing or shut down. So I am pretty well versed in how this goes, and I know well how to navigate the process. I am tired of the roller coaster, for sure, and am looking at other industries where my skills will transfer. I have some leads and will continue to search until I have something, but for now, things are okay. The company management was kind enough to provide us with at least a small parachute before they pushed us all out of the plane, so to speak.
08-26-2018, 04:11 PM   #44
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was going to recommend a K-5, as it's what I shoot with, and close enough to the K-3 that I am not quite tempted enough to upgrade (waiting for that next-generation camera that Adorama recently teased us about!). I am pleasantly surprised by the generosity of that anonymous forum member who donated his K-5 to your worthy cause! Best wishes and happy shooting with it!
08-26-2018, 07:16 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Glad to hear you got the K5, you will find it is very similar to the K3, this weekend I was on our local Camaro club Cruz up to the mountains. I was packing my K5 with my DA*16-50mm on my belt via my Peak Design belt hoster/quick release clip, and my K3/grip/Sigma 8-16mm lens on a strap. It sure is nice being able to switch between cameras instead of constantly changing lenses.
As for resolution differences? I never really pay any attention to 16 vs 24 megapixels. IMHO I feel that APSC sensors really hit the sweet spot at 16mp