Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
08-10-2018, 02:27 PM   #1
Veteran Member

I had a dream.

that all future dslr body's (from pentax) come with an integrated grip, and solid metal body all around. ideally it will have at least 5 user modes, abd preferably with a infinity focus button (instant) and a hyperfocal focus button for landscape.

if i would wake up with something with something like this available, i would have a nice day.

08-10-2018, 03:11 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robiles Quote
and solid metal body all around. ideally it will have at least 5 user modes
Don't know about the other features, but the latest models (K-1 and KP) do deliver on these points

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-10-2018, 09:06 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Considering the battery grip has always been an “add on” going way back with Pentax, I’d be willing to bet we don’t see that. I have grips for several of my cameras, digital and film, and it’s nice to not have it on when I’m just going for a casual walk with the camera.
08-10-2018, 09:11 PM   #4
Forum Member

that all future dslr body's (from pentax) come with an integrated grip...
Let it be known, Robert, you are not alone. I'm a definite yes on a full frame Pentax camera with an integrated vertical grip with strap lugs located at both ends of the grip and a tripod socket aligned with the center of the optical axis. I'm not wanting all Pentax dSLR camera bodies to have an integrated vertical grip as this would turn away potential buyers who prefer a smaller camera body. I just want to have the choice of buying a camera with an integrated vertical grip.

Please see my post in another Pentax Forums message thread. What should the next Pentax full frame camera be?

I mentioned this to the sales rep in the Ricoh Pentax booth at WPPI this year and he told me that no one had ever mentioned this before. Actually, I mentioned it previously to Pentax marketing people at Pentax trade show booths over a period of several years.

Dennis

08-10-2018, 09:25 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

How would an integrated one be better than the current optional ones?
08-10-2018, 10:09 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hyperfocal information could be derived from the focal length and distance provided by the lens, but I'm not sure how exact the info is. The firmware could be designed to provide a little fudge factor to ensure everything is in focus. Of course DPReview would spend two paragraphs on how imprecise it is.
08-10-2018, 10:14 PM   #7
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Lower cost, lighter weight, capable of being designed to have grip strap lugs at both ends of the vertical grip and the tripod socket aligned with the center of the optical axis.

Dennis

08-10-2018, 10:14 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
This has always been my main question also. With the optional grip, I set the primary battery as the grip, and in the need of a battery change, I’m not slowed down. No, the grip doesn’t have strap lugs, but I’ve gone to using a sling for work related shoots anyhow. Otherwise, as far as I can tell, we have all the functionality of a camera with an integrated grip.

---------- Post added 08-11-2018 at 12:30 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kelvin 5500 Quote
Lower cost, lighter weight, capable of being designed to have grip strap lugs at both ends of the vertical grip and the tripod socket aligned with the center of the optical axis.

Dennis
From Google; K1 with grip is 2.23 lbs with batteries. The Canon 1 Dx is reported to be 3.4lbs with batteries.
08-10-2018, 10:37 PM   #9
Forum Member

...and a hyperfocal focus button for landscape.
I'm actually surprised that this feature is not included on most digital cameras when using contemporary lenses. The camera already knows the lens focal length and f number. The user would need to enter the acceptable size of the circle of confusion based on the desired print size or just enter the desired longest print dimension and have the camera compute the acceptable size of the circle of confusion.

Dennis

Last edited by Kelvin 5500; 08-10-2018 at 10:50 PM.
08-10-2018, 10:39 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

With new autofocus lenses, a quick hyperfocal method would be nice, and I agree, should not be that difficult to integrate.
08-10-2018, 11:02 PM   #11
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
From Google; K1 with grip is 2.23 lbs with batteries. The Canon 1 Dx is reported to be 3.4lbs with batteries.
I have no way of knowing why a Cannon 1D X weighs as much as it does, but it seems logical that less material would be required to produce a Pentax K-1 with integrated vertical grip than needed for the current K-1 plus an add-on D-BG6 grip.

Dennis
08-11-2018, 12:21 AM - 2 Likes   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Lower cost, lighter weight,
Higher cost and greater weight for those of us that don't want a grip.
08-11-2018, 12:44 AM   #13
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alfa75ts Quote
Higher cost and greater weight for those of us that don't want a grip.
That's why there should be a choice. I never said that offering a camera body with an integrated vertical grip must exclude offering the body with an optional add-on vertical grip. Here is what I wrote in may previous message post:
I'm not wanting all Pentax dSLR camera bodies to have an integrated vertical grip as this would turn away potential buyers who prefer a smaller camera body. I just want to have the choice of buying a camera with an integrated vertical grip.
Dennis
08-11-2018, 01:05 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
That's why there should be a choice
That would leave Pentax between a rock and a hard place. With a model that some would not buy because it had a built in grip, or two models instead of one.

An optional grip makes more sense.
08-11-2018, 02:22 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
No, the grip doesn’t have strap lugs, but I’ve gone to using a sling for work related shoots anyhow.
The K-1-series D-BG6 has strap lugs.