Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
08-11-2018, 02:35 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Don't know about the other features, but the latest models (K-1 and KP) do deliver on these points
One of the reasons why i am so fond od user modes and such is because of the KP, we have on in the family (my wife uses is mostly because of the size) but there is so much more potential to improve.

I am really curious what pentax has in mind for the next apsc flagship (will buy it at one point)

---------- Post added 08-11-18 at 11:50 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
How would an integrated one be better than the current optional ones?
In my profesion, optimisation of space is a BIG deal, and when studying the K3 grip, one can see that a lot of space is wasted (especially with the d-li battery holder).

The unused space and the space used by the mounting thingies could be eliminated, and win something like 5-10mm in height.
There would also be more space beneath for a more advanced focusing system, or cram some other electronics, features and such. I may have expresed myself badly but i was talking about top tier apsc cameras.

08-11-2018, 04:57 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
For me the grip should be an add-on. The adaptability of the Pentax system is the reason I shoot it. When Travelling I carry a K-5II and take 3 HD DA Limited’s, all within a small Domke F-5xb shoulder bag. When shooting sports with the DA* 60-250 my kit is carried in a backpack and the grip is attached to the camera for balance as well as the second set of controls. The ability to increase or reduce the size of my camera body based on the shooting requirements for the day is important to me. Lately I have been looking at the K-1. The body isn’t much larger than the K-5II. The K1 and FA Limited’s would make a nice compact kit for travel or street photography while a grip would be handy for the massive FF zooms.
08-11-2018, 05:21 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
An integrated grip would be a niche product with low volumes. I would expect this would increase the cost by lowering economy of scale. Also the li-on battery holder is designed that way because the grip also has to support AA batteries, making the grip integrated wouldn't change that design need. If Pentax was selling like Canon, the integrated grip camera model might make sense, but the luxury of fragmenting the market further with more custom models seems to be one that Pentax can't afford.
08-11-2018, 05:38 AM - 2 Likes   #19
Veteran Member

I have a dream; no integrated grip....

08-11-2018, 08:05 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Barry Pearson Quote
The K-1-series D-BG6 has strap lugs.
Nice to know. The K-1 is the only one of my cameras I don’t have the grip for.
08-11-2018, 07:43 PM   #21
Pentaxian

I'm glad that I am not alone on this, and I say again integrated vertical grip not necessarily means a very big body, check the old 'Concept FF DSLR' that Pentax never released the MZ-D, it got integrated vertical grip and the body size is about the same as the K3 and grip combined but it is FF !

Pentax 6mp Digital SLR hands-on: Digital Photography Review

Also the 32yrs. old Canon T90, not so pretty but worked.

Canon T90

Pentax could simply ditch the AA cell support to make the whole body smaller, AA cells are good but may not be good enough for camera use. The MZ-D was a near 20yrs. old concept, we have much smaller electronics components and small but super high cap Li-on battery now so why not ? and of course Pentax could release a Li-on only grip that half height of the standard one but housed 2 Li-on cell or other ports and features. I believe Pentax's next FF would be a different design, it is not Pentax's tradition to release the 3rd model of the same line, K5, K5ii, K3, K3ii, K1, K1ii, so the next model no matter APSC or FF it must be something new and special and I am looking forward to it !

PS. Will we integrated vertical grip lovers recieve a prize if we guessed right ha !

Last edited by lotech; 08-14-2018 at 12:26 AM. Reason: Correct mistake
08-25-2018, 10:43 AM   #22
pxt

Why not makes integrated grip with smaller megapixel matrix FF and get better picture? It will be nice in competition on megapixels.