Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2018, 08:47 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What's up with Pentax kit lenses?

Where, O where, has the DA-L 18-50mm DC WR DE kit lens gone?

Only the DA HD version can be found separately at about $300.

I got mine packaged with my K-S2 in a great deal from B&H over 2 years ago, for next to nothing extra compared to the body price- $508 for both! I found its AF performance to be much better, and just better performance overall, than my 10-year old DA18-55 II kit lens (no WR and has a metal mount, but otherwise the same as the current 18-55mm kit lens). This deal enabled me to give my old kit lens away to friends with my K-r. Some people complained about the retraction being a bother, but I've gotten used to it. It is so small I can put my camera into a large jacket pocket with a zoom lens on it! Or into a belt case. Great for snapshots at social gatherings, etc. Even for some candids. Good enough for other work too. I thought that a similar updated design for the DA-L 50-200mm kit lens would appear, but it has not.

Now we have the K-70, but offered as a kit with only the old screw driven DA-L 18-55mm, or with the DA 18-135mm DC WR at a great savings. No new 50-200mm kit lens. It is like Pentax advanced forward with the entry-level body, but backwards with the basic kit lens offerings!

The KP is now finally being offered with the DA 18-135mm, which makes sense due to this lens's compact design. But unlike with the K-70, at no savings over buying each separately!

08-10-2018, 09:14 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I had not noticed this. Good observation. I bought a DAL version used myself.
08-10-2018, 10:20 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

It seems like kit lens offerings have been extremely inconsistent with recent models. I'm not sure if it's due to shifting demand, feedback, or a Japan vs rest of world thing.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-11-2018, 02:22 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It's a shame, I bought the DA version used expecting very average, but I wanted a WR "standard" zoom for my K5 kit and this was pretty much the same price as the 18-55s then available, I paid £79 from memory.
It surprised me, not only due to its size, but on how effective the gimmicky hood is, and how good the image quality is at 5.6.
The RE button-twist-shoot is odd at first but you get used to it. Silent quick focus. Great bokeh.
It's way better than any 18-55 I've had.

08-11-2018, 03:47 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It got panned when it first came out. The 18-55 got good reviews. Perhaps the plethora of better lenses out at the time of release? Glad I have mine but never use it.
08-11-2018, 03:53 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's consistent with the stated aim to move towards more premium products - I think they are simply ditching entry level as smart phones eat up that territory.
08-11-2018, 04:06 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
It's consistent with the stated aim to move towards more premium products - I think they are simply ditching entry level as smart phones eat up that territory.
Have to agree. Ricoh has bundled the 18-135 and 16-85 as a kit with bodies, and the ‘kit’ lens for the K1, the 28-105, is optically superb. I think they are moving away from the cheap type kit lens and into more premium bundles.

The 18-50/55 being harder to source in a kit might be done to Ricoh running down stock levels.

08-11-2018, 06:28 AM   #8

we have few improvements, in the basic kit lenses, but I do not find it impossible to find a 16 50 2.8 with the sdm disabled for a good price. maybe it's an option.
08-11-2018, 09:16 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I suspect the problem is that there are way too many DA 18-55 WR's in stock here in the U.S., and dealers are trying desperately to get rid of them (they will no longer sell on their own because hardly anyone wants them). When I bought my KP almost a year ago, B&H I was given a free 18-55 WR, even though I had no reason to want one. Some day they'll have gotten rid of all the remaining 18-55's and this nonsense will come to an end.
08-11-2018, 09:21 AM   #10
Veteran Member

My K10D came with a first generation DA18-55. It was novel at the time, being my one and only AF lens.
However, I quickly realized it wasn't as sharp as my old M50/1.7 and after the novelty of AF wore off I found
myself preferentially using my old manual lenses. In time I would acquire other AF lenses but the 18-55 has
remained on the shelf. When I bought my K-3 I no longer had a need for kit lens so happily acquired it
'body only'.

Kit lenses certainly are useful for anyone starting anew with a camera system. To that end the 18-55 is a pretty
good starter lens, but I do feel it would quickly be supplanted by better lenses for most shooters. Personally,
I'd like to see entry/mid level cameras bundled with the DA50/1.8, though I'm sure a zoom would sell better
and think a 'better' zoom offered in a bundle, even at increased cost, is a better route.
08-11-2018, 09:58 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The old 18-55 isn't as good as the second version.
08-11-2018, 10:30 AM   #12
Pentaxian

The Ricoh USA website doesn't list the 18-55, 18-50, or 18-270. They cannot be ordered directly from Ricoh, but the usual online sellers seem to have them in stock. The Japanese website continues to list all 3 of those lenses.

Is the USA website just incomplete, or have they deliberately pulled all those lenses from the USA market to standardize on the 18-135 as the only kit lens?

To purchase a camera directly from Ricoh USA, they offer K-70 body, K-70 with 18-135, and KP only as a body without any lens options.

K - Mount Lenses
08-11-2018, 10:39 AM - 2 Likes   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
I suspect the problem is that there are way too many DA 18-55 WR's in stock here in the U.S., and dealers are trying desperately to get rid of them (they will no longer sell on their own because hardly anyone wants them). When I bought my KP almost a year ago, B&H I was given a free 18-55 WR, even though I had no reason to want one. Some day they'll have gotten rid of all the remaining 18-55's and this nonsense will come to an end.
And to think I actually sought out and just bought a brand new one for $85 shipped, and also used one from a PF member for $69 shipped !
I simply don't understand the bad Rap this lens gets as its perfectly useable and a inexpensive way to get into the 18-20mm arena without breaking the bank !
08-11-2018, 11:05 AM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ronald Oakes Quote
I simply don't understand the bad Rap this lens gets as its perfectly useable and a inexpensive
I certainly don't mean to give the 18-55 a bad rap. Compared to similar kit lenses offered by the competition,
the DA18-55 has been widely regarded for its superior build quality and fine optics. Nonetheless, it is a starter
lens and is surpassed by most anything else in the Pentax line, (save, perhaps, the kit zooms of the film era).
08-11-2018, 11:22 AM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

I just used my 18-50 today. I was in rain for an hour. No problem. Have not seen the pics but worth it.