Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 24 Likes Search this Thread
08-11-2018, 10:37 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Just got my first DSLR, a K-5! Any tips on using manual lenses?

Hello!

My K-5 came early! It was estimated to come Monday, but came Saturday!

The battery is charging while I write this, I got it out of the box a little bit ago.

Anywho, does anyone have any good tips and suggestions for using this camera with manual lenses? Or just any tips in general.

I have the manual, which I plan to read through, but it's going to take a bit...

08-11-2018, 10:55 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you have A series lenses- set the aperture to “A” and you control the aperture through the body. You just have to manually focus.
For K and M series, you set the aperture on the lens, in the menu you must set “use aperture ring” on. Set the camera to Manual and use stop down or green button metering. Some older lenses can be off by up to 1 1/2 stops on the K5, so check the histogram after the shot and adjust as needed.

You are better off to be a little underexposed rather than overexposed.

Good luck and enjoy!
08-11-2018, 11:01 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
If you have A series lenses- set the aperture to “A” and you control the aperture through the body. You just have to manually focus.
For K and M series, you set the aperture on the lens, in the menu you must set “use aperture ring” on. Set the camera to Manual and use stop down or green button metering. Some older lenses can be off by up to 1 1/2 stops on the K5, so check the histogram after the shot and adjust as needed.

You are better off to be a little underexposed rather than overexposed.

Good luck and enjoy!
Alright!

One of my lenses has Aperture Priority mode. Would that be an A-series lens, or is it something different?

And yeah, I'll have to see how much each lens might be off.
Thanks!
08-11-2018, 11:13 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ropuchy Quote
Alright!

One of my lenses has Aperture Priority mode. Would that be an A-series lens, or is it something different?

Thanks!
What twilhelm said.

The K-5 is a great camera, had one for awhile and loved it.Enjoy it.

08-11-2018, 11:19 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hello!

The battery is charging while I write this, I got it out of the box a little bit ago.

Anywho, does anyone have any good tips and suggestions for using this camera with manual lenses? Or just any tips in general.

I have the manual, which I plan to read through, but it's going to take a bit...
Woohoo there is a thread somewhere on here that tells you the best settings. Enjoy
08-11-2018, 11:24 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Videopilot Quote
What twilhelm said.

The K-5 is a great camera, had one for awhile and loved it.Enjoy it.
Yeah, I'm having a blast with it! Trying to take pictures of this gigantic caterpillar on the vines outside my window!

---------- Post added 08-11-18 at 11:25 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
Woohoo there is a thread somewhere on here that tells you the best settings. Enjoy
Alright, I'll go look for it!
Yeah, thanks!
08-11-2018, 12:13 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Alright!

Thanks!
A mode is different than Aperture Priority (which is an exposure mode on the camera). The A setting was originally for Shutter Priority. Aperture was set using the aperture ring for Aperture Priority before the 'crippled' K-mount.

On the K-5 the A setting will allow you to use all of the exposure modes, and to set aperture from the camera body.

For lenses without the A contacts you will have to use M mode and the Green Button for stop-down metering. Make sure that you set Using Aperture Ring to Enabled in the Custom menu.

Pentax Green Button Guide - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

Using Manual Lenses (M42 Screwmount, M , K) on Pentax DSLRs F-- - PentaxForums.com

08-11-2018, 12:23 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
A mode is different than Aperture Priority (which is an exposure mode on the camera). The A setting was originally for Shutter Priority. Aperture was set using the aperture ring for Aperture Priority before the 'crippled' K-mount.

On the K-5 the A setting will allow you to use all of the exposure modes, and to set aperture from the camera body.

For lenses without the A contacts you will have to use M mode and the Green Button for stop-down metering. Make sure that you set Using Aperture Ring to Enabled in the Custom menu.

Pentax Green Button Guide - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

Using Manual Lenses (M42 Screwmount, M , K) on Pentax DSLRs F-- - PentaxForums.com
Ok, thanks for the clarification!
Yep, I've got the Aperture Ring option enabled and have been messing around in Manual.
08-11-2018, 12:34 PM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
is a thread somewhere on here that tells you the best settings.
Congratulations on the K-5. Fantastic camera. I still have my K-5 and K-5iis. Hard to let them go.

As for settings, there are a few old threads that might help...

Pentax K-5 Review - Walkthrough | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Recommended settings for new K-5 owner - PentaxForums.com

K-5 setting for sports - PentaxForums.com

Setting ISO 100 on K-5? - PentaxForums.com
08-11-2018, 01:24 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by david94903 Quote
Congratulations on the K-5. Fantastic camera. I still have my K-5 and K-5iis. Hard to let them go.

As for settings, there are a few old threads that might help...

Pentax K-5 Review - Walkthrough | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Recommended settings for new K-5 owner - PentaxForums.com

K-5 setting for sports - PentaxForums.com

Setting ISO 100 on K-5? - PentaxForums.com
Yeah, I'm very glad I got it! I've been having a lot of fun shooting some macro-ish shots.

Alright, I'll look through those once I have more time. Thanks!
08-11-2018, 01:29 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Veteran Member

I really like using the A lenses, I can set the camera in whatever mode I want and the just worry about mailing the fo us, I dislike having to constantly step down the lens on every shot it take.....but that's just me....
08-11-2018, 01:58 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

Tip #1. Try to wear out the shutter on the camera

Tip #2. Experiment a lot. It's free. While you are at it start keeping a small notebook so when you have aha! moments you can write it down.
08-11-2018, 01:59 PM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

Congrats. I have a K-5 and it is indeed fine. My initial SLR experience was with a film Pentax and I just thought the split screen for focusing was just how it would always be done. Imagine my dismay when the DSLR's i found DON'T have the split screen! So focusing manual lenses was much more difficult for me and the results were more varied. I'm told that the k-5 has live view but I have not tried it. If I was using only manual lenses, that is what I think I'd try.

I think it is wise to read the manual, and maybe some other photo texts, depending on your prior level of experience.

And be sure to have fun!
08-11-2018, 02:07 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
Tip #1. Try to wear out the shutter on the camera

Tip #2. Experiment a lot. It's free. While you are at it start keeping a small notebook so when you have aha! moments you can write it down.
Yeah, I got a 64GB SD card, so I've got a lot of photos I can take!
Good idea with the notes. I'll write them down on my phone when I come across them!

---------- Post added 08-11-18 at 02:11 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by GlennG Quote
Congrats. I have a K-5 and it is indeed fine. My initial SLR experience was with a film Pentax and I just thought the split screen for focusing was just how it would always be done. Imagine my dismay when the DSLR's i found DON'T have the split screen! So focusing manual lenses was much more difficult for me and the results were more varied. I'm told that the k-5 has live view but I have not tried it. If I was using only manual lenses, that is what I think I'd try.

I think it is wise to read the manual, and maybe some other photo texts, depending on your prior level of experience.

And be sure to have fun!
Yeah, I'd love to have split-screen focusing on the K-5. But it's alright without it. There's a button on the back that has "LV" printed on it. That's the live view button. I've noticed it's great for shots where you don't want to press your face down against the ground

And yeah, the whole point of getting a DSLR was to have fun with it! I sure have been so far.
I posted some photos I've taken in my other thread: What's a decent budget DSLR for a newbie? - Page 8 - PentaxForums.com
08-11-2018, 02:15 PM - 1 Like   #15
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello!

are you sure you should be using it

may be you should wait until Monday before using it

as originally planned ?

if you have any money left, you might consider this:

Instantly download your Pentax eBook! (K-1, K-70,K-3, K-5, K-50, K-S2 and more DSLRs) - PentaxForums.com

and this might help with the focusing:

PENTAX Magnifier Eyecup O-ME53

https://www.pentaxforums.com/accessoryreviews/pentax-magnifier-eyecup-o-me53.html

as others have said, have fun with it

and if you want, let us see the results