Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2008, 09:58 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax k20d images.

The graph never quite reaches the top and bottom of the histogram, even with the contrast turned up and d-range turned off. Whats up with that? Is it just trying to preserve the highlights and shadows? Its a bit annoying when i have to put every single image through levels to fix it...

09-18-2008, 11:28 AM   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by IsaacEastgate Quote
The graph never quite reaches the top and bottom of the histogram, even with the contrast turned up and d-range turned off. Whats up with that? Is it just trying to preserve the highlights and shadows? Its a bit annoying when i have to put every single image through levels to fix it...
You mean the left and right? WOW I really wish I had this problem on my K10!!!

I don't know what to tell you. That's not a problem to me.
09-18-2008, 11:49 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Haha, is it doing some really bad clipping? you're right, that is a bit worse.

but sometimes when i am going for arty, abstract, lo-fi images i really wish i had true blacks and whites... mmm.
09-18-2008, 01:47 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Seems most people consider it a *good* thing if a camera can handle a wider range of values without blowing anything out - they has it has "great dynamic range". I'd bet though if you tried hard enough you could find scenes that *would* peg the ends. Anything involving light-colored objects in brights sun with dark-colored objects in deep shadow should do the trick...

09-18-2008, 06:23 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by IsaacEastgate Quote
Haha, is it doing some really bad clipping? you're right, that is a bit worse.

but sometimes when i am going for arty, abstract, lo-fi images i really wish i had true blacks and whites... mmm.
I agree - though if I'm going for the arty-contrasty photo (almost always for me), I'm happy to just stretch the data. It's better to have the choice though. If you are shooting jpeg, you could always just increase the in-camera contrast. Or, if you have a raw workflow, you could use a high contrast pre-set. That will save you the trouble of doing it manually - but to me, it just takes away control.