Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
08-14-2018, 10:38 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
really

try decaf

thanks for the personal attack
Learn what a personal attack is.
There's probably a manual that explains it somewhere.
Read it.

---------- Post added 08-14-18 at 01:50 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
The thing about reading the manual, is that it not only answers the question you have
Far from true, and the funny thing, is I already gave you an indication of where it wasn't that's relevant to this thread, installing and using the Flucard. As I said, read the manual is only relevant if as a poster, you've actually read the manual and know that the information addressed is adequately and clearly adressed. And trust me, you don't want to be in the position of having to defend the way many topics are covered in Pentax manuals. That's why there are separate ebooks for almost every Pentax body. It's because the manual often doesn't make things clear.

Anyway , enough. Let's move on.
Based on my experience installing and using the flu-card, the manual and manufacturer instructions were not sufficient. I had to go to the Forum procedure on the Home page to get it right. Just saying, listen to these guys if you want, it was a waste of my time for me.

You share your experience and you get jumped on by those ideologically addicted to user manuals, who would have thought? I have no problem with the idea of manuals, just the execution.

My advice for installing the FLucard go straight to the Forum Page. Ignore the provided information.
Here's the link.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/pentax-flucard-o-fc1-review/flucard-setup-guide.html
It worked for me.

How about those Flucards?

Oh, another disadvantage to the flu-cards, I wanted to be 12 felt away from the camera to capture humming birds at my feeder. It only worked to about 8 feet. Too close for the hummers. A longer lens worked better.

Last edited by normhead; 08-14-2018 at 11:52 AM.
08-14-2018, 11:36 AM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bison Bud Quote
I need remote shutter control for my K3
When the 2s delay is not enough or appropriate, I use either an IR remote or a wired remote. I use the DSLR Remote app for Android rather than a dedicated IR remote. It works great for phones having an IR blaster. For cases where an IR remote is not workable,* I use a combination remote/intervalometer wired release (PF Review).

Steve

* IR interference from sun, incompatible camera modes, excess battery drain, etc.
08-14-2018, 11:59 AM   #18
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I'm not a fan of RTFM, my own model is if something complex is in the manual to give some page references and guidance on my interpretation.
I did that as far as I know:

the IR remote can be used from behind or in front of the camera

there is a " receiver " on the front and the back of the camera

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/man-pdf/k-3.pdf

page 7,

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/man-pdf/k-3.pdf

page 49

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/373098-flu-card...#ixzz5OBGSh0jw
08-14-2018, 12:10 PM - 1 Like   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Simmer down guys - I don't see anyone here RTFM'ing folks and I think there was a misunderstanding caused by my own post. I think Aslyfox referenced manual since he wasn't sure which camera was in play after my post. I think the overall tone wasn't dismissive and Normhead may have just been a little worried the tone could turn - but I can't speak for either of you gentleman. I just know that overall neither of you is typically the type to RTFM anyone. You are both assets here and I hope you can move past this glitch. If I had any part in the confusion I apologize deeply to both of you. I value both of your input.

08-14-2018, 12:59 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I need remote shutter control for my K3 rather than just using the timer when on the tripod.
Sounds like an IR remote will satisfy your needs. The ones available on eBay work fine and they are inexpensive.
PENTAX IR WIRELESS REMOTE CONTROL K5 K5II K7 K3 K20D K200D K2000 K10D Mega Sale | eBay
08-14-2018, 01:20 PM   #21
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Simmer down guys - I don't see anyone here RTFM'ing folks and I think there was a misunderstanding caused by my own post. I think Aslyfox referenced manual since he wasn't sure which camera was in play after my post. I think the overall tone wasn't dismissive and Normhead may have just been a little worried the tone could turn - but I can't speak for either of you gentleman. I just know that overall neither of you is typically the type to RTFM anyone. You are both assets here and I hope you can move past this glitch. If I had any part in the confusion I apologize deeply to both of you. I value both of your input.
posts deleted
08-14-2018, 01:34 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by johnyates Quote
Sounds like an IR remote will satisfy your needs. The ones available on eBay work fine and they are inexpensive.
PENTAX IR WIRELESS REMOTE CONTROL K5 K5II K7 K3 K20D K200D K2000 K10D Mega Sale | eBay
The flu-card with an iPad or tablet or phone will allow you to pick focus points on a touch screen, change your f-stop, and view your images on a larger screen for better confirmation of what you got as an image. If you don't need those capabilities, it's over-kill. You can tell the IR to refocus before shooting, but, you can't pick what it will focus on.

I have used the IR mainly for images where I'm in the picture, like a timer delay only better. Unfortunately due to the time lapse between using these tools and now, my demo photo of how I used them are lost.

08-14-2018, 05:48 PM   #23
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
The thing about reading the manual, is that it not only answers the question you have, but also questions you didn't even think to ask.
To some extent, I agree... but that relies on one sticking with the manual which - let's face it, for most Pentax cameras in recent years (and many by other manufacturers too) - is, at best, a "dry" experience. For all the useful information the manual provides, it presents the "what" without the "why" and can be somewhat frustrating...

The eBooks provided by one of our members commercially are a much better read, IMHO
08-14-2018, 06:08 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
.. Is it really worth the price and effort or would I be better off getting a hand held, IR remote, if available? Any input on this subject would be appreciated...
I have both the IR control and the Flucard too.
Here is my take. My IR remote is an Ebay cheap 2USD Remote which has been with me since my K5 days. It just works and I use it very often on my long exposure photo. However I use K3 and I cannot compost my shot when do extreme low angle shot, that’s when Flucard comes into handy. Flucard is also good when you cannot or don’t want to be with your camera all the time. Something like night sky photo during winter. I can stay in a warm comfortable room while change camera setting which’s left outside.
Another thing I should mention, Flucard work well with Chrome on my android phone, but it is slow and Pentax doesn’t update its firmware for years already.

IMO, if you want Flucard to just fire the shutter, IR remote can do that and it is so cheap, less buggy in a way. But Flucard is handy especially if your camera doesn’t have a flip LCD. Even I don't use it as often as the cheaper IR remote, but to me it worths the price.
08-14-2018, 07:52 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use my FluCard with an iPad with my macro set-up for both focusing and firing the shutter. Buy a FluCard here on the Marketplace (I am not sure it is even available retail any more) and give it a try. You might like it or you may find it is not for you.
08-15-2018, 06:24 AM   #26

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pakinjapan Quote
I have both the IR control and the Flucard too.
Here is my take. My IR remote is an Ebay cheap 2USD Remote which has been with me since my K5 days. It just works and I use it very often on my long exposure photo. However I use K3 and I cannot compost my shot when do extreme low angle shot, that’s when Flucard comes into handy. Flucard is also good when you cannot or don’t want to be with your camera all the time. Something like night sky photo during winter. I can stay in a warm comfortable room while change camera setting which’s left outside.
Another thing I should mention, Flucard work well with Chrome on my android phone, but it is slow and Pentax doesn’t update its firmware for years already.

IMO, if you want Flucard to just fire the shutter, IR remote can do that and it is so cheap, less buggy in a way. But Flucard is handy especially if your camera doesn’t have a flip LCD. Even I don't use it as often as the cheaper IR remote, but to me it worths the price.
Thank you, that is just the kind of info. I was looking for here! In response to other posts, yes I do read the manual, but personal feedback from someone already using an item in question can be very valuable information. I really don't get why folks get a bug under their blanket when someone asks a question that may have been discussed previously or there is no cut and dried answer, requiring an opinionated response. I personally gleen quite a bit from this type of feedback and this forum and others are a great place to get this kind of feedback. As a result of this thread, I'm probably going to end up with both the Flu card and an IR remote, with the IR shutter control as first on the list. I will also be trying to find out if my phone has an "IR Blaster" and can function as a remote on it's own. Anyway, thanks to all that tried to help and good luck and good shooting to all.
08-15-2018, 12:18 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you, that is just the kind of info. I was looking for here! In response to other posts, yes I do read the manual, but personal feedback from someone already using an item in question can be very valuable information. I really don't get why folks get a bug under their blanket when someone asks a question that may have been discussed previously or there is no cut and dried answer, requiring an opinionated response. I personally gleen quite a bit from this type of feedback and this forum and others are a great place to get this kind of feedback. As a result of this thread, I'm probably going to end up with both the Flu card and an IR remote, with the IR shutter control as first on the list. I will also be trying to find out if my phone has an "IR Blaster" and can function as a remote on it's own. Anyway, thanks to all that tried to help and good luck and good shooting to all.
Good response. Many phones don't have IR anymore but a few do. I use an LG G5 and it does. My wife's Samsung Galaxy S7 doesn't. My iPhone doesn't. I use the LG quick remote app to control Tv and cable etc in multiple rooms just switching the room profile as I go.