Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-14-2018, 05:39 AM   #1

Flu-card for tripod shutter control on K3

I need remote shutter control for my K3 rather than just using the timer when on the tripod. I've read up a bit on the use of the Flu-Card and it seems like it gets mixed reviews and may be overkill for my needs. I'm also not fond of giving up one of my card slots to use it. Is it really worth the price and effort or would I be better off getting a hand held, IR remote, if available? Any input on this subject would be appreciated. Good luck and good shooting to all.

08-14-2018, 06:26 AM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bison Bud Quote
I need remote shutter control for my K3 rather than just using the timer when on the tripod. . . . would I be better off getting a hand held, IR remote, if available? Any input on this subject would be appreciated. Good luck and good shooting to all.
you can follow the link to see reviews on various remotes made [ currently or in the past ] by Pentax

Miscellaneous - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

there may be third party options as well
08-14-2018, 07:05 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I have both the IR control and the Flucard. I haven't used either in a couple of years. The flu card is a 16 MP card, so you're not actually giving up a slot. To me the best use of my flu card was putting the camera on a monopod and aiming the camera on a small toad, under my picnic table. Seeing the little guy on my iPad allowed me to frame, even though I was 3 feet from the camera.

The IR control is nice for selfies or images with you in the picture. Without understanding your desired use, I can't really comment further.

Last edited by normhead; 08-14-2018 at 07:46 AM.
08-14-2018, 07:23 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I have both the IR control and the Flucard. I haven't used either in a couple of years. The flu card is a 16 MP card, so you're not actually giving up a slot. To me the best use of my flu card as putting the camera on a monopod and aiming the camera on a small toad, under my picnic table. Being the little guy on my iPad allowed me to frame, even though I was 3 feet from the camera.

The IR control is nice for selfies or images with you in the picture. Without understanding you desired use, I can't really comment further.
This is a pretty accurate description. I have a flu card but didn't like how clunky it was. I've misplaced it I use it so little. Interval timer mode is another option to consider.

08-14-2018, 08:36 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Having recently acquired a flucard for my K-3 I can only attest to its operation while checking the functionality of the used card, not in real shooting situations. It functioned well with the android app as a remote control. It offers focusing options, choice of focal point and focus peaking, not available using IR remotes because I believe it uses live view cdaf. I plan to use it while on a tripod.
Transfer of images to my computer was typical of wi-fi speeds, that is to say, slow.
08-14-2018, 09:10 AM   #6
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

. . . The IR control is nice for selfies or images with you in the picture. Without understanding your desired use, I can't really comment further.
????

the IR remote can be used from behind or in front of the camera

there is a " receiver " on the front and the back of the camera

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/man-pdf/k-3.pdf

page 7,

page 49
08-14-2018, 09:19 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
????

the IR remote can be used from behind or in front of the camera

there is a " receiver " on the front and the back of the camera

page 7,

page 49
Some of the bodies that support IR have only a front sensor but I can't recall which ones. The K-3 I have supports both.

08-14-2018, 09:29 AM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
okay, I understand now

I thought you were talking about the K 3 and K 3 II specifically

yes, those have " receivers " in front and back

I suggest checking the owner's manual of the camera in question to find out.
To be fair the OP does seem to have a K-3 - I'm unclear what his use case is. I just wanted to be clear in the thread that not all bodies have the two sensors and not all even support IR.
08-14-2018, 09:33 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
I suggest checking the owner's manual of the camera in question to find out.
That's almost enough to get you licked out of the "Man Club."
We don't need no stinkin' manuals.
08-14-2018, 09:34 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Years of watching my dad get in trouble and then have read the "corrections" as he calls them have conditioned me to read manuals in a lot of cases. Cameras used to have manuals that were worth reading - now they are more of a lookup tool at best.
08-14-2018, 09:43 AM   #11
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

that reminds me of what my dad would say:

" you paid for that strap, put it around your neck "

in other words, you paid for that manual, read it

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
. . . Cameras used to have manuals that were worth reading - now they are more of a lookup tool at best.
I didn't say the manuals were good or well written

however, it is the only place I found which ids where the IR receiver ( s ) on the camera ( for the K 3 and K 3 II at least ) were described
08-14-2018, 09:46 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
To be fair the OP does seem to have a K-3.
It does say K-3 in the subject line...
08-14-2018, 09:47 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Years of watching my dad get in trouble and then have read the "corrections" as he calls them have conditioned me to read manuals in a lot of cases. Cameras used to have manuals that were worth reading - now they are more of a lookup tool at best.
The forum tends to be my manual. There are always people here who speak my language. The official manuals, not so much. You can waste a lot of time trying to figure out stuff a user who understands what you are asking can answer in a couple seconds.

"Read the manual" is the fall back line of wannabe teachers who don't know their stuff. Clearly, if you knew what you were talking about you wouldn't need to say that. Saying "read the manual" means navigating poorly laid out indexes and chapters trying to find something really simple. Saying "read the manual " is even more obnoxious, when I spent a half hour reading the manual and couldn't figure out exactly what i wanted. So, I'm already pretty frustrated, and then some guy comes on and says "read the manual." The assumption that I haven't already tried the "read the manual" option is what is most irritating. I found the Flucard operating procedure on the Pentax Forum website. My recollection from reading what came in the box , there was no useful manual. I never would have made the thing operational without forum help.

Only say "read the manual" if you know the manual answers the question efficiently. Read the manual at times is bad advice. Wait for someone who knows the answer is often better.

"Read the manual" is only good advice if you've read the manual and know it clearly addresses the user's question. Otherwise, you may be sending them on a wild goose chase, and not helpful at all.

I'll stop here before I say what I really think.

End of rant.

Last edited by normhead; 08-14-2018 at 09:56 AM.
08-14-2018, 09:58 AM - 2 Likes   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Only say "read the manual" if you know the manual answers the question efficiently....

End of rant.
The thing about reading the manual, is that it not only answers the question you have, but also questions you didn't even think to ask. Looking up the IR remote instructions would lead you (at a glance) to know that SR will be turned off (who would guess to ask that?), also to learn about other drive modes you didn't know existed, other remote options, and so on until you know everything.

More to the point...this stuff has been typed out once already and just needs reading. Each and every user asking for someone to type it all out again and again is a little wasteful of people's time.

To answer the question and then to point out that this and every other question is already answered and where to find those answers is a perfectly reasonable thing to do. Once you've learned how to use an index (not exactly rocket science), it is an invaluable resource for someone new to the camera and far quicker and easier to use than asking and waiting for someone to answer it..
08-14-2018, 10:33 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The forum tends to be my manual. There are always people here who speak my language. The official manuals, not so much. You can waste a lot of time trying to figure out stuff a user who understands what you are asking can answer in a couple seconds.

"Read the manual" is the fall back line of wannabe teachers who don't know their stuff. Clearly, if you knew what you were talking about you wouldn't need to say that. Saying "read the manual" means navigating poorly laid out indexes and chapters trying to find something really simple. Saying "read the manual " is even more obnoxious, when I spent a half hour reading the manual and couldn't figure out exactly what i wanted. So, I'm already pretty frustrated, and then some guy comes on and says "read the manual." The assumption that I haven't already tried the "read the manual" option is what is most irritating. I found the Flucard operating procedure on the Pentax Forum website. My recollection from reading what came in the box , there was no useful manual. I never would have made the thing operational without forum help.

Only say "read the manual" if you know the manual answers the question efficiently. Read the manual at times is bad advice. Wait for someone who knows the answer is often better.

"Read the manual" is only good advice if you've read the manual and know it clearly addresses the user's question. Otherwise, you may be sending them on a wild goose chase, and not helpful at all.

I'll stop here before I say what I really think.

End of rant.
I'm not a fan of RTFM, my own model is if something complex is in the manual to give some page references and guidance on my interpretation.