Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2007, 01:23 AM   #1

K100D and Strobe Flashes?

I would like to use my K100D for some indoor portrait shots. I am hoping to purchase a couple flash strobe lights-- but don't know how to hook them up to the camera (please excuse my ignorance on this).

Best as a know, there is no connection port on the camera for the cable running from the light. Is this correct?

If that's the case, then can I use one of those radio transmitters to trigger the flash?

and lastly...

If I use an external flash, what shutter speed do I use?

Thanks!

02-25-2007, 02:17 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hot Shoe Adapter

QuoteOriginally posted by dighost Quote
I would like to use my K100D for some indoor portrait shots. I am hoping to purchase a couple flash strobe lights-- but don't know how to hook them up to the camera (please excuse my ignorance on this).

Best as a know, there is no connection port on the camera for the cable running from the light. Is this correct?

If that's the case, then can I use one of those radio transmitters to trigger the flash?

and lastly...

If I use an external flash, what shutter speed do I use?

Thanks!
Being that the K100 does not have a flash Synchro input, you have two choices only. The first and least expensive is to purchase a Flash Synchro X adapter that fits on to the hot-shoe and allows you to connect your flash via a cable to the camera. In this little cube is the synch cable input. You can synch up to 1/180 th of a second however you can shoot slow shutter speeds as well, allowing you to mix ambient light with flash to get a more natural look. The second and more expensive solution, is a remote control unit where one element fits on to the hot-shoe and the other plugs in to one of the flash units. When you press the shutter it triggers the remote and the flash goes off. In either case you will have a slave receptor on the flash that will pick up the first flash going off and instantaneously trigger all other flashes that are in the configuration you are using.

Here are some images to highlight the two options. The one showing is a "Hama" brand. It is solid metal and very well built for about $10..

Last edited by benjikan; 03-21-2007 at 01:10 PM.
02-25-2007, 08:41 AM   #3

Original Poster
Benjikan,

Thank you so much for answering my question-- truly helpful! I think I am going to opt for #2 and get the remote.

Just one more quick one... are you aware of any in camera settings I need to adjust for using the external flash?

Thanks again!
02-25-2007, 08:45 AM   #4
Veteran Member

YES

Benjikan,

Thank you so much for answering my question-- truly helpful! I think I am going to opt for #2 and get the remote.

Just one more quick one... are you aware of any in camera settings I need to adjust for using the external flash?

Thanks again!
Shoot in Manual mode. Test the exposures using the histogram until the exposure is what you want. Play with starting at 1/60th of a second at f 11.0 at 1 meter at 100 Watt Seconds. If you can afford to do so buy a combined Flash/Light meter. Gossin, Sekonic and Minolta make fine ones.

02-25-2007, 11:35 AM   #5

Original Poster
That sounds like a great starting point, and I will try those settings!

Also, I just saw your portfolio, and I am truly in awe! Please let me know if you sell any signed prints of your work-- as my fiancee and I were both stunned by your art.

Thanks again!
02-25-2007, 02:25 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Limited Editions

That sounds like a great starting point, and I will try those settings!

Also, I just saw your portfolio, and I am truly in awe! Please let me know if you sell any signed prints of your work-- as my fiancee and I were both stunned by your art.

Thanks again!
My work is presently on Exhibition at about seven galleries worldwide most recently at Lumas Galleries in Soho in New York as well as in Germany. You may go to this site to view my Limited Editions.

http://www.eu.lumas.com/?id=1297&artist=616&motiv=1617
02-25-2007, 05:58 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Another more versatile option...

MiniMagic TXRX02 Radio Slave Wireless Trigger Systems

Radio triggers enable you to shoot without line of site to the IR receiver on the strobe or when ambient light is too bright (or flickering flourencent lights). These are not too expensive and work well up to 1/125 on the K10D. The receivers also have a PC socket which enables me to trigger off camera flashguns (my AF 360s) using PC enabled hotshoes. I use this rig on location for corporate/boardroom work with 3 off camera flashguns set to manual.
They also have a test button on the transmitter, which allows you to test the incident light reading of the flash with a hand held meter.
I always start in M mode at ISO100, 1/90 and F11 and adjust the stobe output to get the exposure right in the first instance. I find the blinkies (overexposed highlights) quite a useful indicator along with the histogram.
I may adjust the aperture as I move around to keep the exposure within bounds but generally it will stay constant until you reposition the model (which requires a lighting reset obviously).
Also, its best to select the right focus point rather than focus and reframe, because the DOF even at F11 is critical, especially with a 100mm lens. Because the K10 does stutter a bit in low light, keep the modelling lights bright and turn off SR which seems to speed it up a bit.
02-27-2007, 10:53 PM   #8

Original Poster
Benjikan-- thank you for the link to the exhibit. One of your prints is on my birthday wish list

*isteve- thanks for the tips, and for pointing out that trigger. Funny, I was just checking it out when I read your message. There are a few on Ebay that look similar, though I doubt they are anywhere near the quality and I may just go with this one!

-Bill

02-28-2007, 03:18 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Multiblitz

Benjikan-- thank you for the link to the exhibit. One of your prints is on my birthday wish list

*isteve- thanks for the tips, and for pointing out that trigger. Funny, I was just checking it out when I read your message. There are a few on Ebay that look similar, though I doubt they are anywhere near the quality and I may just go with this one!

-Bill
The one I posted is a dedicated trigger for Multiblitz Flashes only. They do make a universal one that has a transmitter and receiver.
03-02-2007, 12:23 PM   #10

Another option, though maybe it won't work for your purposes, is to use the built in flash as the master to trigger the remote flash optically. This works very well with the AF540FGZ unit in slave mode. Don't know if the AF360 model or other manufacturers' flashes will work this way though.