Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 401 Likes Search this Thread
08-19-2018, 06:52 AM   #166

If you are serious about video, it's best to get a system that is optimized for video. Many of the DSLRs and Mirrorless cameras are quite capable, however you will probably compromise when it comes to its features and capabilities (eg: HD FPS, Simultaneous Recording, Audio Capture, etc.). In other words, just because it has a shiny foil sticker on the box that reads '4K', doesn't mean it will satiate your needs/requirements for video.

08-19-2018, 09:00 AM   #167
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sutherland Quote
If you are serious about video, it's best to get a system that is optimized for video. Many of the DSLRs and Mirrorless cameras are quite capable, however you will probably compromise when it comes to its features and capabilities (eg: HD FPS, Simultaneous Recording, Audio Capture, etc.). In other words, just because it has a shiny foil sticker on the box that reads '4K', doesn't mean it will satiate your needs/requirements for video.
Yes. And this applies to stills cameras as well. The market has segmented where you buy a body for wildlife, a body for landscape, something for weddings, etc. That is what interchangeable lenses are for as well. The very fast recycle rate cropped frame bodies from Canon and Nikon are great for wildlife. The full frame bodies with the better sensors are designed for other things. I think the market will segment even more in the future; the general purpose camera now is attached to your phone.
08-19-2018, 09:08 AM   #168
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
Yes. And this applies to stills cameras as well. The market has segmented where you buy a body for wildlife, a body for landscape, something for weddings, etc. That is what interchangeable lenses are for as well. The very fast recycle rate cropped frame bodies from Canon and Nikon are great for wildlife. The full frame bodies with the better sensors are designed for other things. I think the market will segment even more in the future; the general purpose camera now is attached to your phone.
totally agree - it's interesting seeing Nikon introduce a new mount now in that context - I wonder where they're going with that...
08-19-2018, 11:39 AM   #169
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
the general purpose camera now is attached to your phone.
The camera included in your phone is a "jack of all trades, but master of none". In other words, it doesn't do any job, except perhaps take a "selfie", as well as an ILC would. Its lens is too wide to be good for wildlife. Its electronic shutter has issues with motion. It cannot do burst. ad nauseum

08-19-2018, 02:45 PM   #170

Wildlife? I will just leave this here: Ogun Caglayan Turkay | PENTAX Nordic Ambassador

Last edited by sutherland; 08-19-2018 at 02:51 PM.
08-19-2018, 03:20 PM   #171
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sutherland Quote
Wildlife? I will just leave this here: Ogun Caglayan Turkay | PENTAX Nordic Ambassador
If the photographer is good enough, the kit is good enough
08-19-2018, 03:39 PM - 1 Like   #172
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
In the long history of "Pentax video is rubbish" has anybody ever posted comparison videos to illustrate how bad it is. I can understand it not being up to scratch for commercial use but i am curious as to its perceived failings for general use.

08-19-2018, 03:39 PM   #173

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
If the photographer is good enough, the kit is good enough
Yup. Exactly. For wildlife, quality captures with the 'landscape and portraits only....no action' K1 and the 'old..outdated' K5.
08-19-2018, 04:13 PM - 2 Likes   #174
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As video is mentioned rather a lot in this topic I'll mention, like I have done in the past, that it is possible to get broadcast quality from a high end Pentax camera and lenses. Invest in a good sound solution, a somewhat heavy tripod and a good video head and you have enough hardware to do the job. Know the limitations of your equipment and explore the possibilities. Especially when a rugged outdoor video solution is needed, Pentax is a competitive contender in my book. But hardware only is not enough. For good video you also need to learn the craft including the editing of your material since that has a huge impact on the way you shoot.

Sure on the hardware front of things Pentax could do much more for somebody that earns a monthly paycheck for shooting video like me. I expect that in the slipstream of technological advances some of those things on my wishlist will slowly be adressed because it will be 'baked into' commonly used components that Pentax will have to use because lower specs components are not available anymore.

The video editors I work with are very happy to work with the Pentax footage I provide with my K-3. That tells me enough.
08-19-2018, 04:18 PM - 2 Likes   #175
Pentaxian

I think it is worth looking at what the latest 'advances' actually mean. The new Nikon mirrorless is a new mount, meaning that you can replace all your lenses. I'd watch to see how that works in the market before jumping up and down about how far behind someone is.
08-19-2018, 08:49 PM   #176

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
The camera included in your phone is a "jack of all trades, but master of none". In other words, it doesn't do any job, except perhaps take a "selfie", as well as an ILC would. Its lens is too wide to be good for wildlife. Its electronic shutter has issues with motion. It cannot do burst. ad nauseum
Its major advantage is the ability to put an image online -- to social media, email, etc. -- more quickly and easily than any camera. The camera that can do that as fast as the phone with better image quality will sell. Imagine the small, portable Ricoh GR III with its great image quality, but with the ability to take selfies and export them to the web easily with a few finger swipes.
Oh, but wait. We already heard in this thread that nobody wants a touchscreen. smh
08-19-2018, 09:08 PM   #177
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by larryaustin3 Quote
Its major advantage is the ability to put an image online -- to social media, email, etc. -- more quickly and easily than any camera. The camera that can do that as fast as the phone with better image quality will sell. Imagine the small, portable Ricoh GR III with its great image quality, but with the ability to take selfies and export them to the web easily with a few finger swipes.
Oh, but wait. We already heard in this thread that nobody wants a touchscreen. smh
I would be happy with the capability to transfer from camera to phone. I don't face any situations in which 30 seconds make a difference .... I doubt if the type of person who takes selfies will want the power offered by a real camera.
08-19-2018, 09:15 PM   #178
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

When my old eyefi mobi worked it was great. Take a shot, background transfer to phone as a push. Easy peasy.
08-19-2018, 10:50 PM   #179
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by larryaustin3 Quote
Much better to bring the JPG into your phone with the ImageSync app, Larry. I have the Ricoh GR II and it already does this.

You can tweet or add to your Facebook timeline as needed, or go through PP with Snapseed or similar first. The work flow is entirely compatible with what you do with the Pentax DSLRs.
08-20-2018, 12:37 AM   #180
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Takker Quote
Where is the touchscreen based auto focus,
I can not use touch screen, it interferes with my nose, my left eye is dominant