Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-17-2018, 09:38 AM - 2 Likes   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Some of us think it is Canikony that are way behind Pentax on IBIS, pixelshift, astrotracer, ergonomics, and a host of other features (especially at the price points of Pentax). Different camera makers cater to different types of photographers.
And what about lenses. Canikon does not seem to be able to design modern lenses. Look at all their 50 mm lenses of ancient design, while Ricoh have had a modern Pentax 50 mm lens out for several weeks already. Pfff

08-17-2018, 09:45 AM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
while Ricoh have had a modern Pentax 50 mm lens out for several weeks already. Pfff
Psh, that's nothing but a rebadged Tokina.
08-17-2018, 09:46 AM - 5 Likes   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Takker Quote
I love my Pentax gear I own 5 bodies and I don't know how many lenses but right now I am considering buying my first Nikon Body with dual lens kit and a 50mm prime to match because I need to shoot video and none of my Pentax gear will cut the mustard.
If you care that much about video, pick another brand because video has never been a Ricoh/Pentax priority. That's been known for a decade. I think Sony is ahead of Nikon for video.

There's a Marketplace here for selling used gear. Since your current stuff is so bad, make sure to sell it for an appropriate discount.

QuoteQuote:
If we compare the K70 to the Nikon D5600 there is no comparison the K70 seems 3+ years behind.
Hah. K-70 has image stabilization, pixelshift, weather sealing, better bracketing options, and some other stuff missing from the D5600.

QuoteQuote:
So I ask when will we see Pentax catch up or is Ricoh planning on killing Pentax off altogether?
You'll never see Pentax catch up for video. That doesn't mean the brand is dead. It's like asking when will Canon, Nikon, Sony catch up and have an astrotracer, or are all 3 brands out of business?
False dilemma - Wikipedia

---------- Post added 08-17-18 at 12:50 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Wow. First post and into the ignore list.
I'm not doing that yet. I hope the OP ditches the awful, mustard-lacking Pentax gear on the Marketplace. Maybe they own a hard to find lens that I want.
08-17-2018, 09:58 AM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
If you care that much about video, pick another brand because video has never been a Ricoh/Pentax priority. That's been known for a decade. I think Sony is ahead of Nikon for video.

There's a Marketplace here for selling used gear. Since your current stuff is so bad, make sure to sell it for an appropriate discount.

Hah. K-70 has image stabilization, pixelshift, weather sealing, better bracketing options, and some other stuff missing from the D5600.

You'll never see Pentax catch up for video. That doesn't mean the brand is dead. It's like asking when will Canon, Nikon, Sony catch up and have an astrotracer, or are all 3 brands out of business?
False dilemma - Wikipedia

---------- Post added 08-17-18 at 12:50 PM ----------

I'm not doing that yet. I hope the OP ditches the awful, mustard-lacking Pentax gear on the Marketplace. Maybe they own a hard to find lens that I want.
Yes please, that would be great.

08-17-2018, 10:05 AM - 2 Likes   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Takker Quote
Currently Pentax is way behind the rest of the market and the KP far from being the body that would bring the mid range back up to speed with the rest of the market,it has in fact shown that Pentax is still at least one generation if not 2 generations behind. Where is the touchscreen based auto focus, the battery grip is a great move but why change the screen so that you cannot fold it out when using the battery grip? It is poorly thought out and badly executed and low to mid range DSLR's in this era should have good video capabilities and use the 24Mp sensor to give 4K video capabilities. Ricoh/Pentax are way behind the rest on this. I love my Pentax gear I own 5 bodies and I don't know how many lenses but right now I am considering buying my first Nikon Body with dual lens kit and a 50mm prime to match because I need to shoot video and none of my Pentax gear will cut the mustard. It makes me very sad. If we compare the K70 to the Nikon D5600 there is no comparison the K70 seems 3+ years behind. I remember Pentax being ahead of the curve in the early period of DSLR development but that time is long gone...

So I ask when will we see Pentax catch up or is Ricoh planning on killing Pentax off altogether?
If you want video, purchase a camcorder. If you go off and purchase a Nikon camera, next thing you'll do is whine about its short-comings, for example the fact that it is limited to 25 minutes recording. The Nikon 5600 also has no "screw drive". so auto-focus is available only with a limited set of new lenses, it has a "penta-mirror" instead of the superior "penta-prism" used by Pentax, and it is not environmentally sealed, unlike the Weather Resistant Pentax bodies, so you'll have to put it away at the first hint of rain.
08-17-2018, 10:09 AM - 2 Likes   #21
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

C'mon now, folks - the OP's post may read like trolling, but let's give him the benefit of the doubt and avoid name-calling. Thanks
08-17-2018, 10:09 AM - 2 Likes   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
What I don't understand is why you would buy a D5600 when much better video is available from mirrorless cameras in the same price range? Yes, that last sentence was a troll.
@Takker ... The question was a troll, but I am truly interested in the answer. Usually people who are into video jump ship to a Lumix or a Sony. Yours is the first I have seen where Nikon was the choice. Consensus has generally been that Nikon's video also sucks.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-17-2018 at 10:40 AM.
08-17-2018, 10:22 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Pentax will catch up when the electronics race peters out because of lack of new developments. All "groundbreaking" new tech will be common place and Pentax will still have de toughest most ergonomic camera's around. Of course they still have to exist at that point.
08-17-2018, 10:31 AM - 1 Like   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
C'mon now, folks - the OP's post may read like trolling, but let's give him the benefit of the doubt and avoid name-calling. Thanks
I agree. The worst we can be is not what we want to show to a new person on the forum. I have tried to give a reasonable answer - until the OP responds I suggest thinking that he is serious and his opinion while distorted from ours isn't intended simply to provoke.
08-17-2018, 10:37 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I just thought he was someone with weak research skills. I did an online search and then checked likely sources - everyone had a comparable camera that looks better than the D5600 .... even the K-70 compared favorably.
08-17-2018, 10:37 AM   #26
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Wow. First post and into the ignore list.
Is that a record for you?

Also, OP, I've shot video with mine and was perfectly happy with it. If you insist on 4k video grab an m43 to go along with it for video.
08-17-2018, 10:40 AM - 5 Likes   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is a serious response.

Where is it written that Pentax needs to or is trying to ‘catch up’ with any other brands?

Last edited by monochrome; 08-19-2018 at 08:26 AM.
08-17-2018, 10:42 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
Is that a record for you?

Also, OP, I've shot video with mine and was perfectly happy with it. If you insist on 4k video grab an m43 to go along with it for video.
My dad's best friend was a Nikon Rep, then had his own place in another industry, then was a Pentax rep. He converted all of his gear and his sons over to Pentax. However, his oldest son has left the fold and sold off nearly all the gear except for a 1000 f/8 and a film body or two. He was heavy into video and bands and did freelance work for the bands and needed to be able to have something more video centric. He went Canon. He is very happy but misses having the Pentax gear for nostalgia and other reasons.

There is life after Pentax if video is your requirement - but I don't think Nikon is the best choice. As I mentioned the ability to put a K or M42 mount onto EF without an optical glass element would be one factor I would consider.
08-17-2018, 10:43 AM - 2 Likes   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I believe your premise of catching up is a bit off, to put it mildly. Pentax isn't attempting to catch up to anything, in my view. What they are doing is producing some of the best gear for still photography out there and establishing themselves as a price point and quality leader. Outside of video and a few specific high speed sport scenarios, I'd be really interested in seeing samples of what you could not do as a still photographer with Pentax gear. If video is your main concern, then Pentax is not for you. As others have suggested, Sony or Panasonic would be much better choices- in fact, ditch a DSLR/mirroless and get a dedicated video camera.
08-17-2018, 10:45 AM - 1 Like   #30

When I was researching my first DSLR to replace my bridge camera I found this site and saw the enthusiastic fan base and looked more into the brand. I chose the K-5 II because it is not the other brands and Pentax has a passionate fan base. It did what I needed it to do and I will admit that occasionally I wished it could do what those "other" brands could do (tethering and wireless mostly) but now I have the K-1 II and am happy.

To tie into the original post - I know the video was not cutting edge but I have yet to use video on either camera. I agree with others, I would get a camcorder if I needed video that bad. Right tool for the job.