Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 401 Likes Search this Thread
09-02-2018, 01:49 AM   #286
pxt

QuoteOriginally posted by sutherland Quote
I think Press (include your favorite 'YouTube' talking head as well) is ultimately what is dictating this perception
It is very interesting that Olympus and Sony went to market and how it's gone popular. I remember times where it was a niche. Polish website photography oriented Optyczne.pl made resolution test and compare K1 II, D850 and A7R III:

https://www.optyczne.pl/398.4-Test_aparatu-Pentax_K-1_II_Rozdzielczość.html

When you scroll down you get MTF50 selfexplained picture with result for Sigma A 35 mm f/1.4 on this cameras. On picture K1 II is lower about 10 lpmm. In real life for me it is not big deal and is not make difference, but in press is looks bad. I think if Pentax create the fastest sport camera on the market and add extreme fast lens for sport it will be notice. I can change system but solid WR body and comfort of body use I found only in Pentax. It is a hobby. If I am going to be professional I will be choose Nikon or Canon because in company It is better chance that I can find someone with compatible equipment like lens from photoreporters in press etc.

09-02-2018, 05:10 PM - 2 Likes   #287
Pentaxian

My Pentax camera is from 2012 and still takes very nice pictures. Maybe Pentax ages like fine wine?
09-02-2018, 05:25 PM   #288
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This thread still has traffic?
You do all know the Giveaway Deal is over now, don't you?
09-02-2018, 05:37 PM - 1 Like   #289
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Doesn't mean we've stopped having things to say.

09-02-2018, 06:28 PM - 1 Like   #290
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I think it has all the potential of the thread about purchasing decisions regarding the k3. There's even a pig video, bacon soon to follow

Last edited by aaacb; 09-02-2018 at 06:40 PM.
09-03-2018, 12:53 PM   #291
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
My Pentax camera is from 2012 and still takes very nice pictures. Maybe Pentax ages like fine wine?
My K10D from 2007 and my Pentax S1a from 1968, still take very nice photos.
09-03-2018, 01:02 PM - 1 Like   #292
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Takker Quote
...but right now I am considering buying my first Nikon Body with dual lens kit and a 50mm prime to match because I need to shoot video and none of my Pentax gear will cut the mustard.
So if you've already come to that conclusion, what is it you're asking?

QuoteQuote:
It makes me very sad. If we compare the K70 to the Nikon D5600 there is no comparison
I'm always amazed when people do this "compare" thing...why would you? If it does what you need, it's a good camera. If it doesn't, move on. That same K-70 you find to be "3 years behind" still delivers capabilities which outstrip my own ability by a mile and then some.

09-03-2018, 01:48 PM - 1 Like   #293
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robiles Quote
He means that you cannot compare a 2k camera with a 4k one and expect the same features.
Very much so.

Pentax saves money by not advertising. They also save money by using a little older sensors and processing engine. The K-1 was basically a D810 lite for a thousand dollars less. Stick an A7r II sensor in it (brand new sensor at the time capable of 4K video) and update PRIME and you probably have closer to a 3000 dollar camera for Pentax. It could be done, but Pentax judged that they were better getting maximum still image quality and foregoing video for the time being. It was an argument at the time -- the 36 megapixel sensor offered better low iso performance the 42 megapixel sensor offered a little better high iso performance and video. Probably traditionalist Pentaxians were glad Pentax went the way they did, but it certainly feels like the market has shifted in a different direction.
09-03-2018, 07:29 PM - 2 Likes   #294
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aaacb Quote
There's even a pig video, bacon soon to follow
But is it a flying pig?
09-03-2018, 10:08 PM - 1 Like   #295
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
But is it a flying pig?
Now you're talking!
09-04-2018, 02:53 PM   #296
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by newmikey Quote
I'm always amazed when people do this "compare" thing...why would you? If it does what you need, it's a good camera. If it doesn't, move on. That same K-70 you find to be "3 years behind" still delivers capabilities which outstrip my own ability by a mile and then some.
In the two plus weeks this thread has been running, the D5600 still doesn't have a penta-prism and still isn't WR - it still cannot compare to K-70.
09-04-2018, 03:27 PM   #297
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Who wants a touchscreen? You can adjust with the 4 way controller on the KP and my auto focus is fine thanks very much! .
Hi,
For me touchscreen only works with girl fingers.

For exemple, I can't write proprely on my cellphone, because I have hard worker hands, with the skin of my fingers too thick for it to work well.
And the last Pentax are all-weathers cameras.
Did you try to write a text on a wet touch screen?

A touchscreen is no the priority for me.
An autofocus system that works well, also with a 4k video mode, that's the priority.

Fanfoué
09-04-2018, 03:52 PM - 1 Like   #298
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by newmikey Quote
So if you've already come to that conclusion, what is it you're asking?

What the Takker was asking is, why Pentax is NOT putting better video into the DSLR cameras.

Takker, if you go back and read his post, has a lot of praise for the Pentax cameras that he owns. The problem that he has found, for him, is that he is needing better video capability's and he was wondering why Pentax "hasn't caught up with the other makers."

A lot of people have asked this question over the last 3, 4, 5, years on the forum. Somebody who needs video in their cameras and they are Pentax users question why, when every year they see, Nikon, Canon and Sony keep bringing out cameras that can do more and more in the video department and Pentax is giving cameras that can barely do 1080.

I get what Takker is asking and it sucks, not only for Takker but for anybody that love their Pentax cameras that have to go buy a different system just to be able to do the type of video they need to do.
09-04-2018, 03:54 PM   #299
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Le Fanfoué Quote
Hi,
For me touchscreen only works with girl fingers.

For exemple, I can't write proprely on my cellphone, because I have hard worker hands, with the skin of my fingers too thick for it to work well.
And the last Pentax are all-weathers cameras.
Did you try to write a text on a wet touch screen?

A touchscreen is no the priority for me.
An autofocus system that works well, also with a 4k video mode, that's the priority.

Fanfoué
If we're going to have a touchscreen, it would be cool if it worked wirelessly with the body and was completely detachable like a little tablet. Then, of course, we'd lose the tablet and would need to buy a replacement.

On second thought, maybe not!
09-04-2018, 03:59 PM - 1 Like   #300
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bigdavephoto Quote
What the Takker was asking is, why Pentax is NOT putting better video into the DSLR cameras.

Takker, if you go back and read his post, has a lot of praise for the Pentax cameras that he owns. The problem that he has found, for him, is that he is needing better video capability's and he was wondering why Pentax "hasn't caught up with the other makers."

A lot of people have asked this question over the last 3, 4, 5, years on the forum. Somebody who needs video in their cameras and they are Pentax users question why, when every year they see, Nikon, Canon and Sony keep bringing out cameras that can do more and more in the video department and Pentax is giving cameras that can barely do 1080.

I get what Takker is asking and it sucks, not only for Takker but for anybody that love their Pentax cameras that have to go buy a different system just to be able to do the type of video they need to do.
The difficulty is the old problem of those of us who want and need video, and those of us who don't. For those of us who never shoot video, any investment in video is a waste. I'd much rather see a higher frame rate, bigger buffer and wickedly good AF before spending a cent on video. So, whatever we do, a new camera is a compromise, often filled with features we may not need or want, simply because the manufacturer seeks to make a product that suits the largest number of potential buyers. No doubt, if a new Pentax camera steps up on the video front, that will please quite a few people.