Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2018, 03:44 AM   #376
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I'm not a big fan of touch screens. I often seem to have trouble answering my smart phone on a warm day from tiny bits of moisture (sweat) on my fingers.

I do think you are a bit wrong. Currently, I can change all settings I use consistently using physical buttons on K3 and K-1. Most companies, when they introduce a touch screen do reduce the number of physical buttons available to the user as unnecessary. Of course, Pentax could be different, but that is certainly the tendency.
Wrong how? Like it's my understanding that touch screens are already here in other brands and not a single button has been removed, but I may be mistaken here?

Believe me I'm with you, I too am not a fan of the 'be all and end all' attitude when it comes to touchscreens, the biggest culprit is the smartphone industry, that somehow a screen, volume buttons and perhaps one additional physical home/on/off button is enough!? Pfft... garbage. I too have missed calls due to some stupid touchscreen idiocy. I once tried to answer a call and my phone was upside down, and even though the screen orientated correctly for me and I was swiping correctly to answer the call, it just didn't work. I realised afterwards why, the phone was upside down and although it rotated the screen the whole 'swipe to answer' thing was not working. lol... fail.
Just give me an tactile Answer Call button... <sigh>

It varies from tech to tech. As I've said before, I used to review Mp3 players (or DAPs as they became commonly known as). One company would introduce a touch screen and still keep all the tactile buttons you would need for blind pocket interaction (play, pause, stop, volume, mute, lock, menu button, function button etc), others did away with them all akin to a bare minimum 'smartphone' like interface.

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Sure, no problem at all as long as it's in addition to, and not instead of, physical controls. Just let there be a way to disable the thing without losing other functionality and I'm perfectly happy
And that's what I'm hinting/hoping at. Something that would streamline and simplify some aspects of interaction, not force us a different way just for the sakes of it. Hopefully Pentax get it right, but I think most camera brands have actually implemented touch screens well (unlike some other tech).

10-23-2018, 05:07 AM   #377
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
And there was a definite glimmer of interest in his reaction.
It would be really neat if Pentax could start peeling away some pros like this. But from what little I can tell, it seems they need to step up their support programs for pros, e.g. camera loaners if your bread and butter is in the shop. Wonder if Ricoh is paying attention to this and how much there is out there (dissatisfaction of Pros with other brands). Maybe you can get a K1 II and DFA 150-450 to put in your neighbors hands to test? I think it would be a great excuse for you to pick up that combo if you don't already have them!
10-23-2018, 05:21 AM - 1 Like   #378
Forum Member

Unlike a smartphone where the touchscreen is in my hand, the LCD of a digital camera is smashed up against my right cheek. I would not find it useful to use a touchscreen LCD on a DSLR unless I type with my nose - but, then I wouldn't be able to focus my eyes on what my nose was typing.

It's just one of those "me too" features I'm glad I don't have yet people who review equipment are bothered that everyone else has one.

I'd find a joystick more useful.
10-23-2018, 05:55 AM   #379
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The touchscreen has very limited appeal for me. I can see some scenarios that make sense, but bottom line is part of what I like so much is looking through the viewfinder. I didn't buy a DSLR to hold it at arm's length and stare at a screen, but so I can look through that OVF. I want to be able to control key functions and never take my eyes away, and we have what seems to be well placed and intuitive controls at our finger tips that allow this.

10-23-2018, 12:42 PM   #380
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photo0013 Quote
Unlike a smartphone where the touchscreen is in my hand, the LCD of a digital camera is smashed up against my right cheek. I would not find it useful to use a touchscreen LCD on a DSLR unless I type with my nose - but, then I wouldn't be able to focus my eyes on what my nose was typing.

It's just one of those "me too" features I'm glad I don't have yet people who review equipment are bothered that everyone else has one.

I'd find a joystick more useful.
I think that's why you have options to have it disabled during certain times, such as when using the OVF. I mean touch screens are already here on other brands, and I very much doubt that the user is doing accidental presses of functions of the screen when using the ovf lol (well one would hope!).

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
The touchscreen has very limited appeal for me. I can see some scenarios that make sense, but bottom line is part of what I like so much is looking through the viewfinder. I didn't buy a DSLR to hold it at arm's length and stare at a screen, but so I can look through that OVF. I want to be able to control key functions and never take my eyes away, and we have what seems to be well placed and intuitive controls at our finger tips that allow this.
I think it's one of those technological features that you would appreciate if implemented wisely. Where I see a touchscreen being useful;

1) During Playback, double tap to zoom in at a specific area of the screen, 4x magnification (or whatever magnification you like) to check for eye focus for portrait work etc, far quicker than say using the aperture wheel and directional pad to zoom to the same off centre location. If not double tap then pinch to zoom.
2) During Live View, when using the 'Select' AF Mode, instead of having to use the directional pad to move around and select your focus point, you can now just touch the area of the screen you would like to make your focus point.

And really folks... that's it. I'm not wanting more than that, but if those things are given to us, wow... it would really speed up the shooting experience.

I for one am looking forward to the GR III and how Ricoh have implemented the touch screen tech.
10-23-2018, 12:56 PM   #381
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
I for one am looking forward to the GR III and how Ricoh have implemented the touch screen tech.
The GRRRR is a good application for touch screen since it doesn't have a viewfinder of any kind.
10-23-2018, 05:26 PM   #382
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
1) During Playback, double tap to zoom in at a specific area of the screen, 4x magnification (or whatever magnification you like) to check for eye focus for portrait work etc, far quicker than say using the aperture wheel and directional pad to zoom to the same off centre location. If not double tap then pinch to zoom.2) During Live View, when using the 'Select' AF Mode, instead of having to use the directional pad to move around and select your focus point, you can now just touch the area of the screen you would like to make your focus point.
That actually makes complete sense to me, I can see it in live view modes especially. I think the fear is the shared one that physical controls go away. That would really suck, and that ties to not taking your eye away from the viewfinder.

Second that on the GR III too. Can't help but wonder if we'll see some tech, like a touchscreen, that will be a precursor to DSLRs in the future. Stay tuned. 2019 is closer than you think.

10-23-2018, 07:08 PM   #383
cpk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Yep I will have to check out the new Henry's. I have been to one in Toronto and it was good.
The Henry's store in Toronto is definitely not what it once was! It is now half the size it was a few years ago, and the on-hand stock is much diminished.

---------- Post added 2018-10-23 at 10:17 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
The GRRRR is a good application for touch screen since it doesn't have a viewfinder of any kind.
I've used a Canon point-and-shot for a few years as a carry-around camera which could sit in a case on my belt until I needed it. It had a touch screen only (no viewfinder) which enabled me to change the focus point in the picture whenever I wanted to. I found that a very handy and easy-to-use feature.

Last edited by cpk; 10-24-2018 at 06:16 PM. Reason: spelling error
10-23-2018, 08:54 PM   #384
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cpk Quote
I've used a Canon point-and-shot for a few years as a carry-around camera which could sit in a case on my belt until I needed it. It had a touch screen only (no viewfinder) which enabled me to change the focus point in the picture whenever i wanted to. I found that a very handy and easy-to-use feature.
I've used a Q-7 for almost four years now. Contrary to what some folk here told me, no matter what hat I wear, no matter what shirt I wear, it would be useless to me outdoors if I hadn't also purchased a Hoodman ..... otherwise it would be worse than a 'point and shoot' camera, it would be a 'point in general direction, pray, and shoot' camera.