Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-17-2018, 10:46 AM - 3 Likes   #31
Pentaxian

If you look at all features and benefits you will realize nobody is behind 1, 2 or three years. Pentax may not offer certain things like 4K video or a touch screen which most of us, including me do not want. On the other hand Pentax offers much more in the way of build quality and weather resistance. If I look at my core setup: K-3 with 16-85 and 55-300 PLM zoom kit and DA Limited primes (including DFA 100 macro) prime kit, there is no Canon, Nikon or Sony kit at similar cost that I would ever want to trade my Pentax kit for.

08-17-2018, 10:52 AM - 2 Likes   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
Is that a record for you?
Sadly no...
08-17-2018, 10:55 AM - 2 Likes   #33
Veteran Member

I am going to compare pentax to the other by using dogs as an example. There are fast dogs, that may be considered better than other dogs (af-c speed and frame rate), or dogs that are easy to train and make them obey (ooc jpg's). and then ther are dogs that have nice personalities and are plain old fun to have. things each has it's own.

I like to use my gear wherever i go, rain or snow. It may not do everything perfect, but it is a lot of fun, and more than enough for my needs and skill.
08-17-2018, 10:59 AM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Wow. First post and into the ignore list.
QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
Is that a record for you?
Sadly no...
Wait - you anticipated a member’s first post and boriscleto’ed before the actual first post was indexed?

Yikes! That’s kinda Google-creepy!

Last edited by monochrome; 08-17-2018 at 11:05 AM.
08-17-2018, 11:02 AM - 4 Likes   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

To the OP - well played. Best way to get the post count up.
08-17-2018, 11:11 AM - 2 Likes   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
To the OP - well played. Best way to get the post count up.
(LOL) I'm tempted to roar with laughter... but I might scare my wife.
08-17-2018, 11:18 AM - 1 Like   #37
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow. First post and into the ignore list.

ditto...

08-17-2018, 11:36 AM - 3 Likes   #38

Wow. Good job. Putting the OP on the ignore list and telling him/her that they shouldn't be here?!? Last I checked, this was a forum for discussion and I do not see anything within the OP's post that is out of line:

'Currently Pentax is way behind the rest of the market and the KP far from being the body that would bring the mid range back up to speed with the rest of the market,it has in fact shown that Pentax is still at least one generation if not 2 generations behind. Where is the touchscreen based auto focus, the battery grip is a great move but why change the screen so that you cannot fold it out when using the battery grip? It is poorly thought out and badly executed and low to mid range DSLR's in this era should have good video capabilities and use the 24Mp sensor to give 4K video capabilities. Ricoh/Pentax are way behind the rest on this. I love my Pentax gear I own 5 bodies and I don't know how many lenses but right now I am considering buying my first Nikon Body with dual lens kit and a 50mm prime to match because I need to shoot video and none of my Pentax gear will cut the mustard. It makes me very sad. If we compare the K70 to the Nikon D5600 there is no comparison the K70 seems 3+ years behind. I remember Pentax being ahead of the curve in the early period of DSLR development but that time is long gone...'

It's purely opinion. Why some of you are so threatened and frustrated is beyond me.

I think we all have different understandings/requirements for what it means to be 'ahead of the curve'. Since we are all consumers, and to some extent 'loyalists' (we bought into a system, we took the time to participate in a brand-specific forum), it's probably good to air out some of what we would like to see in the future from Pentax. I would imagine that your requirements would be very different than mine or someone else's.

For me, it's not about 'catching up', but about 'dialing in'. I personally would:
- do away with Video and focus strictly on Imaging
- make improvements to the focusing system: ex: comparing the speed of focusing between my partner's D500 w/ 200-500 to my K-3II w/ 150-450 is a night and day difference (D500 having a noticeable edge), however once locked...I have few complaints with the K-3II, it's sharp and it's consistent
- improve LCD screen resolution
- add Bluetooth for enablement of Smartphone Controls
- make the K-1 Screen Articulation standard in all models
- Pentax is EXTREMELY customizable however allow for more Button Mapping to make the Pentax your own

The more I write this, the more I am happy with Pentax.

As far as what I celebrate, and where Pentax is ahead:
- ergonomics / feel in hand
- weather-sealing (I was caught in a downpour and had absolutely no concerns, zero. There is not a brand that can match this.)
- ease of customization (I like that you can really fine-tune and tweak the Pentax to meet your shooting needs and do so in a very easy, straight-forward fashion)

I will also stress, Build Quality. I was sitting outside shooting some Hummingbirds with my partner. Her D500 has a very sharp/pronounced click, whereas (in comparison) the K-3II has a muted/dampened sound when actuating the shutter.

I was turned on to Pentax after comparing my Fuji X-100 to a Ricoh GR-2. The Fuji X-100 is a great camera, but it has a strange identity.
- It's not pocketable.
- It requires two hands to operate all of its analog controls.

VS. the Ricoh
- Shutter, Aperture, Exposure, ISO all controlled with the thumb and index of the same hand
- fits in your front pocket

Why I bring this comparison up is to support my 'desire' for Pentax to 'dial in'. The Ricoh GR-2 is a camera built with the street photographer in mind, It's snappy. It's pocketable. It's completely customizable. In full manual, control EVERY parameter with two fingers.
08-17-2018, 11:46 AM - 4 Likes   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sutherland Quote
It's purely opinion. Why some of you are so threatened and frustrated is beyond me.
When you've been here a few more years you'll understand.
08-17-2018, 11:46 AM - 2 Likes   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
C'mon now, folks - the OP's post may read like trolling, but let's give him the benefit of the doubt and avoid name-calling. Thanks
Seriously. I don't understand the sensitivity of some folks around here. The ad hominem attacks and knee-jerk blocking are an off putting aspect of some corners of this forum. He clearly likes Pentax as a brand and is frustrated that they aren't matching the competition in areas that he finds important (as do many others.)
08-17-2018, 11:58 AM - 1 Like   #41
Pentaxian

Sure, some of the reactions weren't too friendly, but the OP has a point in other brands being more advanced than pentax in some aspects. However, from what I gather, the bigger point is that Pentax may not want catch up, as they already produce a damn fine photographic tool.

Anyway, thanks for getting the post count up.
08-17-2018, 12:15 PM - 5 Likes   #42
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sutherland Quote
Wow. Good job. Putting the OP on the ignore list and telling him/her that they shouldn't be here?!? Last I checked, this was a forum for discussion and I do not see anything within the OP's post that is out of line:
When you've been here a few more years you'll understand.
QuoteOriginally posted by neokind Quote
Seriously. I don't understand the sensitivity of some folks around here. The ad hominem attacks and knee-jerk blocking are an off putting aspect of some corners of this forum. He clearly likes Pentax as a brand and is frustrated that they aren't matching the competition in areas that he finds important (as do many others.)
With all due respect to the OP, when entering and engaging with any established community for the first time (including forums such as these), a certain social awareness and diplomacy is recommended. I'd always suggest the first few interactions with community members should be spent establishing a rapport and acceptance before getting into the gritty stuff

That said, some of our members have become a little quick to assume that disagreeable opinions from a newcomer are trolling. This is based on sound experience - it has happened many times in the past. But it doesn't make those reactions right (at least, not every time), and as @UncleVanya mentioned in one of his earlier posts, we should assume the OP means well and forgive the slightly blunt introduction. I'd like to believe we can extend the hand of friendship to welcome a new and - I hope - regular contributor to our forums
08-17-2018, 12:19 PM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
With all due respect to the OP, when entering and engaging with any community for the first time (including forums such as these), a certain social awareness and diplomacy is recommended. I'd always suggest the first few interactions with community members should be spent establishing a rapport and acceptance.

That said, some of our members have become a little quick to assume that disagreeable opinions from a newcomer are trolling. This is based on sound experience - it has happened many times in the past. But it doesn't make those reactions right (at least, not every time), and as @UncleVanya mentioned in one of his earlier posts, we should assume the OP means well and forgive the slightly blunt introduction. I'd like to believe we can extend the hand of friendship to welcome a new and - I hope - regular contributor to our forums
Agreed on both counts.
08-17-2018, 12:25 PM - 1 Like   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The polite answer is, Pentax has a different take on the combination of features and strengths to blend into their cameras from many other camera companies. We already have the other cameras - made by other companies. One must presume a person who wants the features the OP pointed out as lacking should consider changing brands rather than asking Pentax to change its approach to suit his needs.

The statement, “I love my Pentax, but . . . ”, followed by a list of faults and omissions tends to trigger fellow members.
08-17-2018, 12:44 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Well.. IMO he is not far away from one point of view, and i say that ONE because in the camera world what fits one target of people might not fit the rest.. It is a fact that Pentax is a nichy brand, perhaps too nichy for some, and at this time the camera world (same as all electronics) is moving fast, very very fast.. What it was awsome 2 years ago now might be almost obsolete, and sadly (for some) Pentax has his own pase, and it is sloooowww.. we just saw it with the release of the 50mm (great lens, but took a long time to release it), we dont even know when the 85mm will be release, same as the 35mm and all the other lenses that are in the roadmap.. but that is something that many Pentaxians dont mind, and for those that mind, well there are other brands or systems that might fit better with what you need, and that is not bad.. it just tells you that your needs are not in whatPentax is offering now, and we should all understand that. Some Canon shooters feel the same about Canon.. others feel the same about Nikon and so on... It is almost impossible to make every single photographer happy with just one system.