Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-17-2018, 04:23 PM - 5 Likes   #76
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Takker Quote
Currently Pentax is way behind the rest of the market and the KP far from being the body that would bring the mid range back up to speed with the rest of the market,it has in fact shown that Pentax is still at least one generation if not 2 generations behind. Where is the touchscreen based auto focus, the battery grip is a great move but why change the screen so that you cannot fold it out when using the battery grip? It is poorly thought out and badly executed and low to mid range DSLR's in this era should have good video capabilities and use the 24Mp sensor to give 4K video capabilities. Ricoh/Pentax are way behind the rest on this. I love my Pentax gear I own 5 bodies and I don't know how many lenses but right now I am considering buying my first Nikon Body with dual lens kit and a 50mm prime to match because I need to shoot video and none of my Pentax gear will cut the mustard. It makes me very sad. If we compare the K70 to the Nikon D5600 there is no comparison the K70 seems 3+ years behind. I remember Pentax being ahead of the curve in the early period of DSLR development but that time is long gone...

So I ask when will we see Pentax catch up or is Ricoh planning on killing Pentax off altogether?
I generally hate touch screens on a camera.

Secondly, why sacrifice a photographers tool quality by replacing it with the needs of a videographer? That doesn't make sense. I switched from Canon to Nikon and landed here with a Pentax for the sake of priorities.

The image matters more than accessible features that commonly distort the organic capture AND with good equipment there is less need for post-editing which also subtracts on quality.

Canon is insensitive of shadowing which breaks down rendering from the get-go and Nikon can't get their colors right while also influencing too heavy a mood for a naturalist capture.

If you love good photos that are closest to what is rendered to the human eye then it's worth it to be Pentaxian.

08-17-2018, 04:37 PM - 5 Likes   #77
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax sucks, and is DOOOOOOMEDTM
I would humbly suggest that starting a conversation with a stranger by punching them in the face and leaving the room is a poor way to build a relationship.

But the answer to your question is never, because they are not trying to, and most of us like the fact that they march to the beat of their own drum.
08-17-2018, 05:09 PM - 2 Likes   #78
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by neokind Quote
So, are you suggesting that one should not express frustrations or wants to avoid triggering fellow members?
As I said in my response, the statements such as
QuoteOriginally posted by neokind Quote
If we compare the K70 to the Nikon D5600 there is no comparison the K70 seems 3+ years behind.
made by the OP showed a clear ignorance of the overall picture. I spent less than half an hour doing on-line research before I wrote a response
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
If you want video, purchase a camcorder. If you go off and purchase a Nikon camera, next thing you'll do is whine about its short-comings, for example the fact that it is limited to 25 minutes recording. The Nikon 5600 also has no "screw drive". so auto-focus is available only with a limited set of new lenses, it has a "penta-mirror" instead of the superior "penta-prism" used by Pentax, and it is not environmentally sealed, unlike the Weather Resistant Pentax bodies, so you'll have to put it away at the first hint of rain.
and in that brief time I easily found statements unfavorably comparing the D5600 to a Canon Rebel, a Sony something, or a Pentax K-70. I can handle opinions, but this was clearly an uninformed rant based on the particular needs of one person
08-17-2018, 05:35 PM   #79

Photos: Gallery
While I do agree with the concerns with Pentax, the cameras are not generations behind. if anything maybe video capability wise a couple of generations behind, but not in terms of photography. Actually in terms of photography, Pentax is ahead of canon, Nikon and maybe even sony in some aspects, and when it comes to DSLRs. For me the only reason to look at other cameras is the cheaper availability of lenses, more full frame options for lenses. if I was to only stick with APS-C Pentax would easily be a top choice.

08-17-2018, 05:42 PM - 5 Likes   #80
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

So I ask when will we see Pentax catch up …
Never, Takker, it's a niche brand.

It doesn't have to face the size of financial problems the big guys do.

A niche brand survives not by imitating the mistakes of the Big Two or Three in its field, but by making products in its own time for a knowing minority (outside of Japan, maybe 2 percent or less).

If despite owning Pentax products you actually have this urge to 'run with the crowd', that's what you should do, it's your personality.

The gear itself lets me shoot all my interests of sports/action, landscape, portraiture, wildlife, events and macro. If I won the lottery and was able to upgrade to the even higher quality of medium format, only Pentax, Phase One, Fuji and Hasselblad would let me do that, the other brands don't.

The community is small, strong, quirky, entertaining and very, very knowledgeable. You lose brain cells reading other forums.

Last edited by clackers; 08-17-2018 at 06:10 PM.
08-17-2018, 06:12 PM - 3 Likes   #81
Pentaxian

> You either take images with one, or fail posing around posers with one.

I like that. I, like most here, know very well the limits of what we use. We live on that line between possible and failed shots. Low light, movement, capturing colors, whatever. We likely could live with manual focus because we learned to see focus on the viewfinder. I know my discussions with other photographers are not technical toy talk but how to use what we have to capture an image, to freeze a moment in a way that we want to look at it. It is about finding things worth capturing. The brand marked on the gear represents what we are comfortable using.

I have no reason to be ashamed with what i shoot. The photos i get show my mastery of the craft. I like what i use because my fingers know where to go, my eye sees what i need in the viewfinder.

I think shooting Pentax has made me a better photographer.
08-17-2018, 06:22 PM - 2 Likes   #82
Imp
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
If you want video, purchase a camcorder
QuoteOriginally posted by Binth Quote
I agree with others, I would get a camcorder if I needed video that bad.

As one of the lonely video peeps on this site, just to clarify: camcorders are an option, so are ILCs (I'd go with a G7 and adapt) and the two categories are for entirely different tools, suited for different styles of capture. Keep that in mind! Video=camcorder is hardly doing justice to the styles of filmmaking and video capture.

08-17-2018, 06:39 PM - 1 Like   #83
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
As one of the lonely video peeps on this site, just to clarify: camcorders are an option, so are ILCs (I'd go with a G7 and adapt) and the two categories are for entirely different tools, suited for different styles of capture.
Sure, Imp, if we believe in the best tools for the job (and we swap lenses because of that principle) of course you would have entirely different ones, and different brands too when it comes to it.

If I was starting, and my first camera was a Panny G7 to shoot video with, I'd end up also having to buy a Pentax to satisfy my stills needs. I couldn't just be restricted to shooting with that noisy little sensor.

Last edited by clackers; 08-17-2018 at 06:46 PM.
08-17-2018, 07:19 PM - 1 Like   #84

I'm new to this forum, but have been using Pentax for 10+ years. My first Pentax was K10D which at the time seem really ahead considering quality/ergonomics/price. I love Pentax usability, convenience and raw image quality as well as unique features as astrotracer. I've been a strong advocate for Pentax and persuaded friends to get one instead of canikon.

However I also share the increasing frustration and that's what lead me to the this forum in the first place. I've already considered jumping ships a couple of years ago, but the owned lenses and ergonomics made me stay with Pentax. And yet the frustration accumulates. One of the reasons why I chose Pentax was the weather sealing. I've carried my gear to various harsh and hard to reach places, dirty environments and expeditions in these cases every gram counts, but once I'm there I'd like to be able to make at least a decent video and carrying another dedicated video camera is just not an option. I do not have very high requirements for video, but when technology keeps improving, and so does expectations. When every other brand, smartphones, drones etc. is capable of 4k video with autofocus, and your beloved Pentax with your beloved lenses leaves you with subpar capabilities it is really frustrating.

And it's not only about the video. I prefer aps-c for it's smaller size and better portability, but this line is neglected for quite some years now. Pentax is slow with new modern lenses and many third party lens manufacturers simply gave up with Pentax and do not support the mount.
Studio work with no tethering is doable, but not convenient. Even a bit more intense action when af-c is required (not talking about fast sports) keeps you wondering if you really get your shot in focus, or finally in family/social situations when other people use the camera it's a lottery if a shot will be in focus or a subject would not be covered by the narrow focus points area. This takes away the joy of taking pictures.

Sure one can say if your friends cannot focus a picture use a phone instead, or buy a dedicated videocamera, or buy another brand for action. Well what does it leave Pentax for? The niche is getting increasingly narrow and offers no place for wider usage. It makes the overall impression that there's not much to expect from Pentax especially in aps-c front. Long gone are the days when Pentax was the only brand offering ibis, weather sealing and good image quality. Yes there are some die hard loyalists (I still consider myself being one), but what about attracting new users? It's just sad that Pentax is not willing to improve on those areas. As much as I don't want to jump ships it seems that there just are no other options for the next upgrade
08-17-2018, 07:47 PM   #85
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
C'mon now, folks - the OP's post may read like trolling, but let's give him the benefit of the doubt and avoid name-calling. Thanks
I agree with you BigMacCam. I made it through a page and a half and started thinking to myself, "This is coming from the members of this great forum. To give gruff to a new member because he is in need of better video specs?"

Takker, I get what you are saying. You think Pentax is behind because they are not meeting your needs in video. My suggestion is to keep shooting away with your Pentax cameras on your still pictures and go get yourself a dedicated video camera that fits your needs.
08-17-2018, 08:00 PM   #86
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gytizzz Quote
I'm new to this forum, but have been using Pentax for 10+ years. My first Pentax was K10D which at the time seem really ahead considering quality/ergonomics/price. I love Pentax usability, convenience and raw image quality as well as unique features as astrotracer. I've been a strong advocate for Pentax and persuaded friends to get one instead of canikon.

However I also share the increasing frustration and that's what lead me to the this forum in the first place. I've already considered jumping ships a couple of years ago, but the owned lenses and ergonomics made me stay with Pentax. And yet the frustration accumulates. One of the reasons why I chose Pentax was the weather sealing. I've carried my gear to various harsh and hard to reach places, dirty environments and expeditions in these cases every gram counts, but once I'm there I'd like to be able to make at least a decent video and carrying another dedicated video camera is just not an option. I do not have very high requirements for video, but when technology keeps improving, and so does expectations. When every other brand, smartphones, drones etc. is capable of 4k video with autofocus, and your beloved Pentax with your beloved lenses leaves you with subpar capabilities it is really frustrating.

And it's not only about the video. I prefer aps-c for it's smaller size and better portability, but this line is neglected for quite some years now. Pentax is slow with new modern lenses and many third party lens manufacturers simply gave up with Pentax and do not support the mount.
Studio work with no tethering is doable, but not convenient. Even a bit more intense action when af-c is required (not talking about fast sports) keeps you wondering if you really get your shot in focus, or finally in family/social situations when other people use the camera it's a lottery if a shot will be in focus or a subject would not be covered by the narrow focus points area. This takes away the joy of taking pictures.

Sure one can say if your friends cannot focus a picture use a phone instead, or buy a dedicated videocamera, or buy another brand for action. Well what does it leave Pentax for? The niche is getting increasingly narrow and offers no place for wider usage. It makes the overall impression that there's not much to expect from Pentax especially in aps-c front. Long gone are the days when Pentax was the only brand offering ibis, weather sealing and good image quality. Yes there are some die hard loyalists (I still consider myself being one), but what about attracting new users? It's just sad that Pentax is not willing to improve on those areas. As much as I don't want to jump ships it seems that there just are no other options for the next upgrade
When you said, "make a decent video..." What to you is decent?

I am not into video and that is why I am asking.

I can understand your reluctance to carry a camera just for video because of weight, but there are a lot of cameras that do video out there that weigh about as much as a zoom lens. I am not sure but I think Panasonic makes a camera that is good for video. GH6 maybe? I'm not sure. I just know that there is a youtuber that I follow that uses something like that. He is hard on cameras but they still work.For the most part, his videos look good.
08-17-2018, 08:02 PM   #87
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gytizzz Quote
Studio work with no tethering is doable, but not convenient.
Tethering is available for modern Pentax cameras through IT2 and a locally created method, as well as a phone based tethering. You can find them with a search here in the forums. Hang out for a while and check out what you can do with your Pentax.
08-17-2018, 08:09 PM - 2 Likes   #88
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Strange, I don't see neglect for some years now with Pentax for APS-C. It has possibly the best line of APS-C lenses for a DSLR, many affordable and some of these with WR, others of exceptionally high image quality. WR is still to be had at the lowest cost by far with Pentax. Newer APS-C lenses have emerged and are emerging. The K70 and the KP are new APS-C designs, and are definitely advanced camera bodies, offering features the competition does not. There is another new APS-C body in the works. The K-3 series and the KP have seen a much enlarged area of AF sensors. Many of us, including myself, have had none of the sometimes spoken-of problem with Pentax AF, even when shooting fast action.

Perhaps the smart phones so many people are carrying now can do short videos as well as anything- I don't know since I don't carry one.

If it is regarding mirrorless APS-C, that is a whole other discussion. See my previous post this thread regarding DSLR appeal and the Pentax approach.
08-17-2018, 08:26 PM - 1 Like   #89
Pentaxian

How do you touch screen when it's raining? My phone fails miserably at that.
08-17-2018, 08:27 PM - 1 Like   #90
Veteran Member

It's seem that the reverse the D5600, is a camera that try to meet spec of the K-70.
Nikon D5600 is ranked #3 with an overall score of 81 and Pentax K-70 is ranked #2 with an overall score of 83.

Nikon D5600 vs Pentax K-70 Detailed Comparison

The Nikon is losing on all aspect of photo quality!!!!!

D5600 was launch in 2016 same as the K-70 which are 2 camera who are 2 years old ???? I will go with the KP any time ober the old D5600

Oh if you look at the next level D7500 vs KP, again on Image Quality Pentax win and Price win.
Nikon D7500 vs Pentax KP Detailed Comparison

Sorry but Nikon is way behing Pentax except the D500 who is a class by himself but except for sport KP win.
Sorry but if you go with Nikon , you will be at least 1 year late versus the KP.