Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 401 Likes Search this Thread
08-17-2018, 08:38 PM   #91

QuoteOriginally posted by bigdavephoto Quote
When you said, "make a decent video..." What to you is decent?

I am not into video and that is why I am asking.
I’m not a videographer either, but by decent I mean at least: 1. using real SR (not digital) for stabilizing video. This feature was actually in one of early Pentax models with video capabilities, it’s beyond me why they’re not including it anymore. 2. focus peaking while recording and/or autofocus. These are basic things.

Of course it would be also nice to have better specs: 4K resolution, higher framerates and bitrate.

08-17-2018, 08:44 PM - 5 Likes   #92
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Brand loyalty makes no more sense than brand bashing. Use what suits your needs. Be happy.
08-17-2018, 08:46 PM   #93

Thanks, will check it out. I’ve been using mobile tethering but it’s not the same as the big screen.

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Tethering is available for modern Pentax cameras through IT2 and a locally created method, as well as a phone based tethering. You can find them with a search here in the forums. Hang out for a while and check out what you can do with your Pentax.
08-17-2018, 08:51 PM   #94
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
As I said in my response, the statements such as
Quote Originally posted by neokind Quote
If we compare the K70 to the Nikon D5600 there is no comparison the K70 seems 3+ years behind.
Umm, I did not post that.

08-17-2018, 08:58 PM - 1 Like   #95
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gytizzz Quote
Even a bit more intense action when af-c is required (not talking about fast sports) keeps you wondering if you really get your shot in focus, or finally in family/social situations when other people use the camera it's a lottery if a shot will be in focus or a subject would not be covered by the narrow focus points area. This takes away the joy of taking pictures.
It's real hard to tell from your paragraph what your skills are as a photographer, Gytizz.

Can you link to your portfolio or gallery or Instagram or whatever?

If you can't take shots that others do with the same gear, it may well not be the equipment, it's your technique and we can help you with that on the forum.

08-17-2018, 08:59 PM - 1 Like   #96
Veteran Member

I honestly wonder what is the difference in niche brands. Leica is a niche brand. They make good stuff, no doubt. They're like a super-expensive version of Pentax (I'm over simplifying, I know), but I wonder how much price has to do with this. People love spending money. Is a Louis Vuitton handbag objectively superior to a Kate Spade? Maybe. Is it $3000 better? That's subjective.

Personally, I'm not overly attracted to particular brands over others. At least with cameras, I'm results oriented. What are the best tools for the job? Well, what's the job? Pentax offers better tools for some photography jobs than other makers, and worse for other jobs. Some camera makers offer more tools in their packages, like Swiss army knives. Some others focus on making very specific tools for very specific jobs. That's Pentax. Sony's more of a Swiss army knife.
08-17-2018, 10:09 PM - 1 Like   #97

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
It's real hard to tell from your paragraph what your skills are as a photographer, Gytizz.

Can you link to your portfolio or gallery or Instagram or whatever?

If you can't take shots that others do with the same gear, it may well not be the equipment, it's your technique and we can help you with that on the forum.
It's real hard to tell what his skills are because that's not what he's talking about, and he didn't say he can't take shots that others do with the same gear. He's talking about "in family/social situations when other people use the camera," meaning beginners in general. I took it to mean beginners will have a harder time using Pentax autofocus than the autofocus from another brand. Of course, he has a point.

And your offer of help is kind, but given the way the OP was treated in this thread, are you surprised if people new to the forum don't look for help from other Pentaxians here?

08-17-2018, 11:16 PM - 1 Like   #98
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Takker Quote
Currently Pentax is way behind the rest of the market and the KP far from being the body that would bring the mid range back up to speed with the rest of the market,it has in fact shown that Pentax is still at least one generation if not 2 generations behind. Where is the touchscreen based auto focus, the battery grip is a great move but why change the screen so that you cannot fold it out when using the battery grip? It is poorly thought out and badly executed and low to mid range DSLR's in this era should have good video capabilities and use the 24Mp sensor to give 4K video capabilities. Ricoh/Pentax are way behind the rest on this. I love my Pentax gear I own 5 bodies and I don't know how many lenses but right now I am considering buying my first Nikon Body with dual lens kit and a 50mm prime to match because I need to shoot video and none of my Pentax gear will cut the mustard. It makes me very sad. If we compare the K70 to the Nikon D5600 there is no comparison the K70 seems 3+ years behind. I remember Pentax being ahead of the curve in the early period of DSLR development but that time is long gone...

So I ask when will we see Pentax catch up or is Ricoh planning on killing Pentax off altogether?
When will the other manufacturers catch up with Pentax in terms of build quality, usability and controls, ergonomics, image quality, value for money, premium small primes...?
08-18-2018, 12:03 AM   #99

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Currently Pentax is way behind the rest of the market and the KP far from being the body that would bring the mid range back up to speed with the rest of the market,it has in fact shown that Pentax is still at least one generation if not 2 generations behind. Where is the touchscreen based auto focus, the battery grip is a great move but why change the screen so that you cannot fold it out when using the battery grip? It is poorly thought out and badly executed and low to mid range DSLR's in this era should have good video capabilities and use the 24Mp sensor to give 4K video capabilities. Ricoh/Pentax are way behind the rest on this. I love my Pentax gear I own 5 bodies and I don't know how many lenses but right now I am considering buying my first Nikon Body with dual lens kit and a 50mm prime to match because I need to shoot video and none of my Pentax gear will cut the mustard. It makes me very sad. If we compare the K70 to the Nikon D5600 there is no comparison the K70 seems 3+ years behind. I remember Pentax being ahead of the curve in the early period of DSLR development but that time is long gone...

So I ask when will we see Pentax catch up or is Ricoh planning on killing Pentax off altogether?
for me no catch up, but catch-in-focus, which i use a lot with older non-af lenses, and very happy with continuous spot focussing of my K1 for the other, af-lenses.
08-18-2018, 01:37 AM   #100
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If Pentax tried to compete with the mainstream brands it would fail. Simply because others are bigger with more to spend on R&D. So it carves out its own unique niche for those it appeals to.

Thank goodness for that. As consumers we enjoy more variety.

I do think there’s a ‘watch out’ for Pentax though. In a shrinking camera market (e.g. from phones) others are taking a bite of Pentax’s innovations: Fuji are taking on the 645 in the MF space, Olympus has IBIS and a type of Pixelshift, etc. We can argue the technicalities of whether there are as good as the Pentax versions, but it erodes brand uniqueness.

I use everything from large format film to APSC, covering paid weddings, events, academic and the usual social photography. Sometimes my K1 is the perfect tool, sometimes it’s not. Let Pentax be appreciated for what it excels at.
08-18-2018, 01:38 AM   #101
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by larryaustin3 Quote
It's real hard to tell what his skills are because that's not what he's talking about, and he didn't say he can't take shots that others do with the same gear. He's talking about "in family/social situations when other people use the camera," meaning beginners in general.
That's only the last bit, Larry, he's talking about himself the rest of the time.

I took it to mean beginners will have a harder time using Pentax autofocus than the autofocus from another brand. Of course, he has a point.
?

I've used Nikon, Sony, Canon and Pentax. For all of them, if you hand them to your brother to take a picture, you put it in P mode, tell 'em to hold down the shutter button until they get confirmation, then take the pic.

And your offer of help is kind, but given the way the OP was treated in this thread, are you surprised if people new to the forum don't look for help from other Pentaxians here?
Beginners with questions about their cameras and photography are all over this forum and get great advice, Larry, always have in the years I've been a member.

That's not the OP, though, is it?
08-18-2018, 04:55 AM   #102
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

check out the K1 and for me personally if i want video i can use my phone or i will get go pro. if i had my way they would take the video out and ad some other still photography features.
08-18-2018, 05:15 AM   #103
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nitehntr Quote
check out the K1 and for me personally if i want video i can use my phone or i will get go pro. if i had my way they would take the video out and ad some other still photography features.
+1.

08-18-2018, 05:50 AM - 2 Likes   #104
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

well, the next K-1 winner should say thank you to the OP
08-18-2018, 05:51 AM   #105
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't see any particular reason to take video out. The sensor can do video and so it is just software to run it for this purpose. The things mentioned earlier (focus peaking in video and mechanical SR) clearly could be added fairly easily as they are present in live view. I do want to see Pentax improve video with new models. I don't use it a whole lot, but it certainly doesn't hurt me to have it on the camera and if it sells a few more camera bodies then that's probably a good thing for money for future development.