Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
I can not use touch screen, it interferes with my nose,
just see it as a creative opportunity

08-20-2018, 01:09 AM - 4 Likes   #182
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks like I'm about the only one who hasn't commented.

Couple of points I would make.
I have owned a Nikon D800 and shot with it side by side with Pentax K3 (Nikon had the Tamron 70-200 & Pentax the Sigma 70-200)….sold images from both cameras. I am unaware of anyone viewing images rejecting anything because of quality, no-one made any comments at all, no one was able to pick the difference.
A friend who was a true professional photographer & printer, ran a studio, employed staff, sold lots of work and did a lot of work commercially using high endNikons, digital backs & Hasselbad…...retired recently and hasn't picked up his DSLR at all....bought a 4k video thingy (think it was Panasonic), makes short film clips of grandkids, family groups, etc, does a great job. I quizzed him on why he wasn't using one of his many Nikons for video and he just gave me this knowing & somewhat sad look (which I'm still trying to interpret and said, horses for courses.

Touch screen....had one on a Metz flash on the Nikon, found it more trouble than its worth.

When people want to talk about "catching up ", and I'm not having a go at you Takker, I ask....define catching up ? So often in this modern age we get things added onto anything we buy in the tech world, because it is said to be "upgrading" when in fact it is an upgrade for the sake of upgrading, someone trying to justify a job, a multi national co trying to frighten you into buying something. Example Windows 7 > 8 > 10.....give me W7 anyday of the week....it wasn't broke and it didn't need fixing. So often upgrades are more about tricks and smoke & mirrors than actually making something better.

….ahhh….feel better now. Cheers.
08-20-2018, 02:31 AM - 2 Likes   #183
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mallee Boy Quote

Touch screen....had one on a Metz flash on the Nikon, found it more trouble than its worth.
I have two cameras with touch screens, MB, and you can only use them for shooting like that if they're on tripods (this is useful) or are being held away from the head like a phone (this is not, you can't see details, just enough for framing purposes).

That's poor holding technique, you've got at best two points of contact instead of three.

Last edited by clackers; 08-20-2018 at 11:32 PM.
08-20-2018, 02:45 AM   #184
Veteran Member

I personally don't mind cellphones for photography - depends on the circumstances.

I mean, I use SLR's, and mirrorless cameras, and I totally get that a cellphone doesn't do the same thing, but having used fixed lens point & shoot cameras a lot over the years, ii do think that there are situations where cellphones are a really powerful tool.
If I have the access to get really close to a subject then the wide angle thing stops being a handicap and becomes a really powerful tool, if you can get close enough to an interesting subject then the technical aspects can go out the window.

Touch screens on a DSLR, no, not my thing, I tend to shift my focus point without noticing.

08-20-2018, 03:41 AM   #185
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
my left eye is dominant
Yes,look at the map....East Coasters are right eye dominant!
08-20-2018, 04:29 AM - 5 Likes   #186
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As many others have written has Ttakker maybe made a mistake in choosing Pentax. Pentax biggest issue is the wellknown problems with k30 and k50. I now have KP
I have not thrown my k 30 away, but use it fully manual with the exellent m 42 lenses
I dont agre with those that cannot get enough features in the camera .
For me it is enough with a good censor, spot autofocus, shake reduction, av and tav, reliabe exposure which the KP has, pixel shift af fine tune and probably a few more that I dont remember.
Please dont tell me what I am missing by not being technologyhappy, I know my needs
I would like to be able to buy a cheaper basic camera where it is possible to download and pay for the wanted functions. Today I feel that I have paid for too many functions I will never use.
08-20-2018, 04:43 AM   #187
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by niels hansen Quote
As many others have written has Ttakker maybe made a mistake in choosing Pentax. Pentax biggest issue is the wellknown problems with k30 and k50. I now have KP
I have not thrown my k 30 away, but use it fully manual with the exellent m 42 lenses
I dont agre with those that cannot get enough features in the camera .
For me it is enough with a good censor, spot autofocus, shake reduction, av and tav, reliabe exposure which the KP has, pixel shift af fine tune and probably a few more that I dont remember.
Please dont tell me what I am missing by not being technologyhappy, I know my needs
I would like to be able to buy a cheaper basic camera where it is possible to download and pay for the wanted functions. Today I feel that I have paid for too many functions I will never use.
Hallelujah to that !

08-20-2018, 05:12 AM   #188
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mallee Boy Are you ironic or do you appreciate my pow
08-20-2018, 05:35 AM   #189
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sqrrl Quote
ii do think that there are situations where cellphones are a really powerful tool.
In the spirit of commenting just for the sake of commenting because K-1 giveaway I totally agree.
08-20-2018, 05:38 AM   #190
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
In the spirit of commenting just for the sake of commenting because K-1 giveaway I totally agree.
Ok, so do I … 18088 posts to go!
08-20-2018, 05:42 AM - 2 Likes   #191
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
That's poor holding technique, you've got two points of contact instead of three.
It also tends to get your elbows away from your body, so the arms become much longer levers - "mechanical advantage" works against you.
08-20-2018, 05:44 AM - 1 Like   #192
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
It also tends to get your elbows away from your body, so the arms become much longer levers - "mechanical advantage" works against you.
Yeah, you want arm's length if you're doing video while walking or running, you want compact, close and tucked against you for stills.
08-20-2018, 05:44 AM   #193
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by niels hansen Quote
The problem with this is to set up and maintaining something like this it will require more investment on R&D and support than including everything. So the basic camera might not become any cheaper than today's cameras that include everything. Most of the software functionality has been developed long ago and are just transferred to next camera. And I do not believe you would be able to save much on price because I doubt that the manufacturer can ask much money for the functions. Maybe a couple of dollars for each function, and it's maybe 10 functions in the camera they can remove.

What would be better IMO is a more customizable user interface, where you FI can build you own quick menu, or hide functions in the GUI you do not need.

Sony tried using pay apps for their mirrorless cameras, but I think they stopped this for latest cameras.
It didn't work very well IMO as the integration of the apps where not that good.
08-20-2018, 06:43 AM - 1 Like   #194
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Yes,look at the map....East Coasters are right eye dominant!
Not me. It made it harder to learn to shout accurately with a pistol.
08-20-2018, 06:53 AM   #195
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fogel 70
Thanks for an informative answer