Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-17-2018, 08:29 AM   #1

When will Pentax catch up to the other big makers?

Currently Pentax is way behind the rest of the market and the KP far from being the body that would bring the mid range back up to speed with the rest of the market,it has in fact shown that Pentax is still at least one generation if not 2 generations behind. Where is the touchscreen based auto focus, the battery grip is a great move but why change the screen so that you cannot fold it out when using the battery grip? It is poorly thought out and badly executed and low to mid range DSLR's in this era should have good video capabilities and use the 24Mp sensor to give 4K video capabilities. Ricoh/Pentax are way behind the rest on this. I love my Pentax gear I own 5 bodies and I don't know how many lenses but right now I am considering buying my first Nikon Body with dual lens kit and a 50mm prime to match because I need to shoot video and none of my Pentax gear will cut the mustard. It makes me very sad. If we compare the K70 to the Nikon D5600 there is no comparison the K70 seems 3+ years behind. I remember Pentax being ahead of the curve in the early period of DSLR development but that time is long gone...

So I ask when will we see Pentax catch up or is Ricoh planning on killing Pentax off altogether?

08-17-2018, 08:53 AM - 5 Likes   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forums

That's quite an opening post with which to join our community

I don't think you'll be short of responses...
08-17-2018, 08:57 AM - 5 Likes   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Who wants a touchscreen? You can adjust with the 4 way controller on the KP and my auto focus is fine thanks very much! And I didn't pay Canon or Nikon prices for any of my lenses and the majority of them are Limiteds so are as good or better than any consumer or Prosumer offerings from the others.

If I want a video camera I will get a Gopro or copy, and if I hit the lottery and want to waste money on video, (which does not interest me other than when my cat is acting goofy,)I could buy a Red and all the trimmings.

Enjoy your Nikon when the recall hits.
08-17-2018, 09:00 AM - 1 Like   #4
F/8 & Somewhere
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Takker Quote
the battery grip is a great move but why change the screen so that you cannot fold it out when using the battery grip?
Just attached my battery grip to my KP. The LCD screen has its full range of motion. Where did you hear that this was not the case?

08-17-2018, 09:04 AM - 7 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think they are way ahead of the other manufacturers.
08-17-2018, 09:06 AM - 20 Likes   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow. First post and into the ignore list.
08-17-2018, 09:08 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Forum Member

My KP screen folds out with the battery grip fitted.

I would hazard a guess that the majority of Pentax owners are aware it is not a video camera and probably never will be. I am also on my fifth pentax body and happy with my choice. If Ricoh were going to kill off Pentax they would have done it long ago.

08-17-2018, 09:10 AM - 9 Likes   #8
Pentaxian

Wrong site, you need to go over to Amazon's DPR and join in with the rest of the Trolls.
08-17-2018, 09:14 AM - 13 Likes   #9
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm going to add my own general views here, without addressing each point you've raised individually.

Pentax is pretty much a niche brand, with nothing like the financial and manpower resources that Nikon, Canon and Sony (for example) have. As a result, it develops at its own pace. The cameras, lenses and accessories it releases are generally of excellent quality, very-well-featured and competitively-priced, so for those of us whose needs are met or exceeded by the specifications, Pentax is a very good choice indeed.

It's no secret that the larger brands are more advanced in certain areas of functionality (AF.C performance and video, for instance), and if that functionality is important to you, or lens availability doesn't match your requirements, Pentax probably isn't the right choice. I like to shoot a lot of adapted lenses from systems with a variety of different flange focal distances. I have a Sony A7 MkII for that. But Pentax is ahead of other manufacturers in some areas too... in-body image stabilisation and pixel shift, for instance, not to mention the high ISO capability of the KP. So whether you consider Pentax to be behind or ahead of the market (or merely keeping up) depends on your personal priorities and viewpoint.

In closing, don't expect Pentax to catch up with the biggest brands. As I already mentioned, it will continue to develop at its own pace. If your needs aren't being met by the brand, just switch - or fill the gaps by using a combination of brands.

And no... I don't believe Ricoh Imaging will kill off Pentax. It's not beyond the realms of possibility that it might sell Pentax one day, but I've no doubt the brand will be around for many years to come

Incidentally, you might want to view the results of a recent survey conducted on this site, HERE. I think you'll be interested to see which features the majority of respondents are (and aren't) most interest in...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 08-17-2018 at 09:38 AM.
08-17-2018, 09:21 AM - 4 Likes   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Hi and welcome to the Pentax Forums!

The simple answer to your question is never. At least not for people who cherry pick features for comparison. Your profile indicates that you are currently a K-3II owner and have owned or currently own a long list of Pentax dSLRs going back to one of the earlier models. I guess it is safe to assume that there was a reason why you purchased your K-3II and those other models. What I don't understand is why you would buy a D5600 when much better video is available from mirrorless cameras in the same price range? Yes, that last sentence was a troll.

Steve
08-17-2018, 09:22 AM - 9 Likes   #11
Pentaxian

Some of us think it is Canikony that are way behind Pentax on IBIS, pixelshift, astrotracer, ergonomics, and a host of other features (especially at the price points of Pentax). Different camera makers cater to different types of photographers.
08-17-2018, 09:23 AM - 3 Likes   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So I ask when will we see Pentax catch up
Catch up to what? Personally I believe Pentax is far ahead of the rest in the areas that matter to me. That is why I buy their cameras. They provide what I need at a price I can afford. If that is not true of some other person then they should buy some other brand that fits what they need. This business of who is ahead is silly, this isn't a soccer match.

As others have said that is quite an inflammatory first post on a dedicated Pentax forum. I welcome you in the same spirit with which you meant your post.
08-17-2018, 09:32 AM - 6 Likes   #13
Pentaxian

Currently Pentax is way behind the rest of the market and the KP far from being the body that would bring the mid range back up to speed with the rest of the market,it has in fact shown that Pentax is still at least one generation if not 2 generations behind. Where is the touchscreen based auto focus, the battery grip is a great move but why change the screen so that you cannot fold it out when using the battery grip? It is poorly thought out and badly executed and low to mid range DSLR's in this era should have good video capabilities and use the 24Mp sensor to give 4K video capabilities. Ricoh/Pentax are way behind the rest on this. I love my Pentax gear I own 5 bodies and I don't know how many lenses but right now I am considering buying my first Nikon Body with dual lens kit and a 50mm prime to match because I need to shoot video and none of my Pentax gear will cut the mustard. It makes me very sad. If we compare the K70 to the Nikon D5600 there is no comparison the K70 seems 3+ years behind. I remember Pentax being ahead of the curve in the early period of DSLR development but that time is long gone...

So I ask when will we see Pentax catch up or is Ricoh planning on killing Pentax off altogether?
The rest of the market hasn't done pixel shift, most of the industry hasn't done in body SR for older glass, most of the other camera companies are working with older lower quality offering than the DFA series of lenses, especially the 70-200 and 50 1.4.Pentax still has the most complete lineup of APS_c glass, and is increasing it's lead with the new DA* 11-18. You can put together a Pentax APS_c kit a fraction the weight you can with other manufacturers because of all those APS-c lenses. IN short, Pentax hasn't compromised it's APS-c glass by using more expensive, heavier FF lenses to fill in the gaps.

What are all those other companies doing to catch up with Pentax.? Nothing.
What is Pentax doing to catch up with them? Revamping their whole FF lens lineup with faster focusing higher res glass.

Don't like what the K-P has to offer, that's your choice. But your choice isn't shared by many who are here, which is why we are here, and you shouldn't be.

If you don't appreciate what Pentax has to offer, that's not a problem for anyone here. it's only an issue for you.

If you've bought into the Sony, Nikon, Canon mindset. Pentax is behind the times.
If you bought into the Pentax mindset, Canon, Nikon and Sony all sell models that are ridiculously over-priced for that they offer especially in the consumer end and those other companies are behind the times.

It's all a matter of perspective, ours, and yours.
We've had lot's of folks that share your perspective. Most of them no longer post here after moving on. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that. You should consider it.

With the new pentax lenses, Pentax has already produced one lens the DFA* 50 1.4 that has been called by one of its competitors "best in class". What's everyone else doing to catch up?

There was a time when you couldd have gotten away with a post like this. Now with all the optimism generated by the K-1 and the new lenses, you're just out of touch.

Last edited by normhead; 08-23-2018 at 05:48 AM.
08-17-2018, 09:35 AM - 2 Likes   #14
Pentaxian

...So I ask when will we see Pentax catch up...?
It's hard to catch up when you're DOOMED.
08-17-2018, 09:37 AM - 4 Likes   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Currently Pentax is way behind the rest of the market and the KP far from being the body that would bring the mid range back up to speed with the rest of the market,it has in fact shown that Pentax is still at least one generation if not 2 generations behind.
What is the market leading camera that leads the kp by 1-2 generations? I suspect this is only in specific features as cameras 1-2 generations ago lag the kp in quite a few areas.

Where is the touchscreen based auto focus, the battery grip is a great move but why change the screen so that you cannot fold it out when using the battery grip? It is poorly thought out and badly executed and low to mid range DSLR's in this era should have good video capabilities and use the 24Mp sensor to give 4K video capabilities. Ricoh/Pentax are way behind the rest on this.
Touchscreen is more useful in Video than stills use in my own experience and it can be difficult but not impossible to use while using a viewfinder. It seems best used with lcd or evf.

And the LCD isn't impaired by the grip, not clear what this is about.

I love my Pentax gear I own 5 bodies and I don't know how many lenses but right now I am considering buying my first Nikon Body with dual lens kit and a 50mm prime to match because I need to shoot video and none of my Pentax gear will cut the mustard. It makes me very sad. If we compare the K70 to the Nikon D5600 there is no comparison the K70 seems 3+ years behind. I remember Pentax being ahead of the curve in the early period of DSLR development but that time is long gone...
First, if video is your main concern you are backing the wrong leader. Panasonic, Canon, and Sony all lead Nikon in video. The k70 behind the d5600, in video perhaps, overall, not really and certainly not 3 years.

I think your focus is on video where they haven't ever really decided to be competitive.

My honest heartfelt advice is to look at Panasonic and Canon and Sony and give up on getting video from Pentax unless you adapt the lenses (which rules out Nikon's current offerings).

This advice isn't offered as a backhanded dismissal. I'm seriously trying to help. My own video needs are small, but I'm using my Panasonic gear there and ignoring Pentax for that. This dual system approach isn't practical for everyone, and I am not so brand loyal that I don't see the lack of video features as an area where there could be improvements. However my feeling is that Pentax (Ricoh) hasn't any interest in trying to catch up in an area where they doubt really see a market. The niche they have carved out doesn't depend on this.

Is their strategy going to work... I have no idea. But, I'm willing to see.

Last edited by UncleVanya; 08-17-2018 at 09:43 AM.